Question RGB Challenge: NZXT + Corsair + CoolerMaster + MSI

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
First time attempting to decorate a system with RGB goodness, and this feels more difficult than memory overclocking. Components are as following.

Case: NZXT H510 Elite
Motherboard: MSI X470 Carbon
AIO: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid
Memory: Corsair Dominator DDR4

I believe the memory and the motherboard come with RGB controller built-in. The case also comes with RGB controller built-in but all the ports are occupied with built-in fans. Although thinking about it, since 2 of the 4 fans are not RGB I might be able to plug those somewhere else and open the 2 ports up(?). I am waiting for the AIO and have yet to check out CoolerMaster's ecosystem but I am sure it's got its own thing going. I know MSI does on the motherboard (Mystic Light).

What is the best way to go about it? Is interoperability possible at all, and if so via which ecosystem? RGB business appears to be a Wild West where every vendor is vying for the supremacy, and so many choices with mostly overpriced equipments it seems easy to make a wasteful mistake. Please help!

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Try out Jacknet RGB and Signal RGB. It's very difficult to make all the different RGB systems sync with each other. I just set everything to a static color. MSI and Corsair are somewhat compatible, but in general the companies have no incentive to interoperate with each other, because they all want to lock you into their own ecosystem.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
So I assume you had to use multiple software to set different RGB parts? Was there any conflicts? I might go that route, too, if it turns out to be too much hassle. I also read about NZXT's anti-consumer practice with cloud account and what not. Dreadful.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
It appears that your AIO will work with Mystic Light so that may be all you need to control the RGB. My son uses Mystic Light to control his Enermax AIO and his Corsair Vengeance RAM as well as his MSI GPU. In his case his fans had splitters built in so they only took up a single RBG connector on the motherboard. As you mentioned you should have a built in controller on the case where you can connect your fans, but if not you can also get RGB splitters.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
So I assume you had to use multiple software to set different RGB parts? Was there any conflicts? I might go that route, too, if it turns out to be too much hassle. I also read about NZXT's anti-consumer practice with cloud account and what not. Dreadful.

I use ICUE (always open, control fans and fan/case RGB) and MSI Center (for MSI motherboard and G.skill memory), which together can do everything. The video card also has RGB but there is no way to actually control it.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I just checked out Mystic Light and it's a little too basic. But more importantly, it constantly runs in the background and lags out the system when I shut down the system or reboots. Windows complains that it has to wait for a program to close! Not sure what to think of this. But I did not know MSI center can do memory sticks RGB. My god I feel like a total newb.

I think I will have to try out each and every software and see what works. Thank you @CP5670 for suggesting Signal RGB. I did not know about it and it looks promising. I will definitely check it out.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Corsair memory only needs to be set once, and then you can quit iCue (and disable auto start if you want). The settings are stored on the memory.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Just be aware...while the Coolermaster AIO might have cool ARGB, it's really not one of the better CPU coolers on the market. While not as...bling-y, Arctic Cooling's ARctic Freezer II is the superior CPU cooler and has SOME ARGB available. (fans only, not pump.)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
RGB.JPG

The area i circled in red is where your RGB controller is.
I believe it might be a 5V as i see 3 pins and the one below that might be a 12V.
I would refer to your manual to double verify.

But most controllers from reputable vendors will have a header you can connect to them.
Them you will need to download the RGB software for your motherboard and control it that way, unless you want a more manual approach which would mean getting a separate controller and a remote.

RGB is sort of fun, but it gets played out fast.
Also my neice wanted it, and a few weeks later begged me to remove it, as it was getting her caught by her parents when she would stay up late at night playing games from all the light bleed under her door. :tearsofjoy: