Revolution spreading to China?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
So it seems Chinese people are testing the waters too. They are calling it "Strolling", for now (new term to be added to urbandictionary :biggrin:).

Below is an article and a snippet from it. It seems the people want a revolution but the government is cracking down with preemptive measures to make sure it does not get out of hand. One thing that they are doing first is making sure NO journalists are seen anywhere around there places where the protests are being organized. Chinese people are organizing these over the web and so journalists and the police or secret police if I may, also know about it. All three parties get to the same place at the same time and all hell breaks loose...

I wonder how far this will go and what will happen to China. I highly doubt that Chinese govt will let this get out of hand, but if it does, WWOD? will he and the US govt keep quiet till the last moment and let time play it out? will we intervene and support the revolution? will we support the govt? After all Chine is totally different, everything we use is manufactured there, if that country falls into chaos we will fall into chaos. So how do you guys here feel? what should we or our govt do if there is mass protest in China?

Link to full article

Last Sunday, police — both uniformed and plainclothes — were out in force, moving people along on the pedestrian street of Wangfujing at 2 p.m. Cleaning vehicles hosed the street down continuously, preventing people from congregating.

In any case, there was no sign of any protestors, and no way of differentiating protest strollers from ordinary pedestrians. Despite that, many reporters were blocked from entering, including the BBC's Damian Grammaticas,

"All of a sudden, shortly before 2:00, a group of plainclothes security men with earpieces grabbed my cameraman, threw him into a police van," he said. "They turned round, grabbed me, slammed me against the door of the police van, slammed me on the floor, threw me in and slammed the door on my leg several times."

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
reading the articles, China is showing the world the correct way to stomp a revolution.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Conditions in China are probably not bad enough for most people to spur a really hardcore revolution.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
reading the articles, China is showing the world the correct way to stomp a revolution.
NK stomps them better by cutting access to information from their citizens such that it's hard to even conceive one beginning.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
They have food and shelter. Revolts occur when people are constantly trampled on to death.

The Chinese worker is sedated and under control - thanks to the profit seeking efforts of American Capitalism. They ship work to China. The Chinese government allows it in order to keep it's people busy.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
They are calling it "Strolling",

Sounds more like Cruisin for a bruisin to me. China will just machine gun you and torture the rest.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Last I heard there's some small gatherings in major cities, they call it "Jasmin revolution" but definitely no mass gatherings. Also I think the reports say there're actually more police officers in those gatherings than protesters. Still, there's definite discontent in the society but China is really putting the clam on this. They might need a spark to set off large protests, so far, no spark.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
...and China is different...how?

People in China do have access to mobile phones and the internet. Take it, those phone calls are monitored and the internet access is heavily censored, but it is still there. It is not uncommon for North Koreas to try to escape to China.

China's leaders are trying to walk the line in regards to letting their citizens have access to enough information to make them functional, but not enough to make them fully realize their situation, how they can escape it and demand political and economic reforms. Sending students to America, Europe, South Korea, etc. (who can be enlightened with uncensored internet access while they are here and bring that knowledge back home), along with allowing isolated bastions of freedom (like Hong Kong) might lead to their eventual undoing. The British might have inserted a poison pill with the Hong Kong transfer.

If you tighten your grip too much, your country becomes backwards and ignorant, like North Korea, but it is practically immune to revolution.

The United States should counter recent Chinese cyber attacks with tools to circumvent The Great Firewall and help (mainland) China's people have access to uncensored news and history.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
With their emphasis on controlling the internet I'm sure in another ten years China will be much better at suppressing such things before they go anywhere. Then they can point fingers at the US and call us barbarians!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
They have food and shelter. Revolts occur when people are constantly trampled on to death.

The Chinese worker is sedated and under control - thanks to the profit seeking efforts of American Capitalism. They ship work to China. The Chinese government allows it in order to keep it's people busy.

And you'd be the first to bitch if the Chinese poor didn't have a job. "Why can't America do more to help the Chinese poor? wah, wah, wah".

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
And you'd be the first to bitch if the Chinese poor didn't have a job. "Why can't America do more to help the Chinese poor? wah, wah, wah".

When did/would I do that? I don't want the US in the Middle East or Asia. I would rather care and look after our own; rich and poor.

Looks some place else, you buffoon.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
People in China do have access to mobile phones and the internet. Take it, those phone calls are monitored and the internet access is heavily censored, but it is still there. It is not uncommon for North Koreas to try to escape to China.

China's leaders are trying to walk the line in regards to letting their citizens have access to enough information to make them functional, but not enough to make them fully realize their situation, how they can escape it and demand political and economic reforms. Sending students to America, Europe, South Korea, etc. (who can be enlightened with uncensored internet access while they are here and bring that knowledge back home), along with allowing isolated bastions of freedom (like Hong Kong) might lead to their eventual undoing. The British might have inserted a poison pill with the Hong Kong transfer.

If you tighten your grip too much, your country becomes backwards and ignorant, like North Korea, but it is practically immune to revolution.

The United States should counter recent Chinese cyber attacks with tools to circumvent The Great Firewall and help (mainland) China's people have access to uncensored news and history.

You see it as undoing, I see it as setting up for the future. They're taking advantage of the current situation to move themselves into a better spot to not repeat similar mistakes we have in the USA. Freedom will come and the current communist party there knows that. The older generations are dying off and like you said they have access to more and more information every day. It's only a matter of time and I don't think it will be to ugly.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
.......The United States should counter recent Chinese cyber attacks with tools to circumvent The Great Firewall and help (mainland) China's people have access to uncensored news and history.

Ordinary Chineses sure need access to raw and uncensored news and history. I chat with a few young Chinese college students at another forum (in English) and all of them have no clue about how Chairman Mao screw up and killed tens of million of Chineses in the Great Leap Forward programs. How they never know anything about Tianmen Square incident in 1989.

The government puts strong emphasis on how bad China was being treat by foreign powers in 1800's, 1900's yet nothing about how China invaded and took Inner Mongolia, Tibet, Xinjinang, etc. (China was being invited in and was the liberator from their history books). I tried to provide them with some news sources but they said all Western news are biased against China because we are jealous of China and want to invade and plunder China again.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Ordinary Chineses sure need access to raw and uncensored news and history. I chat with a few young Chinese college students at another forum (in English) and all of them have no clue about how Chairman Mao screw up and killed tens of million of Chineses in the Great Leap Forward programs. How they never know anything about Tianmen Square incident in 1989.

The government puts strong emphasis on how bad China was being treat by foreign powers in 1800's, 1900's yet nothing about how China invaded and took Inner Mongolia, Tibet, Xinjinang, etc. (China was being invited in and was the liberator from their history books). I tried to provide them with some news sources but they said all Western news are biased against China because we are jealous of China and want to invade and plunder China again.

Do not forget Taiwan, it is one of those "rogue provinces" like the ones you mentioned that wishes to be liberated as well, but whose government is in the hands of Western puppets ;)

Yeh, when they first arrive here, they are very ignorant and brainwashed. But, many of them come to realize the truth after a while, especially when Non-Western history and news sources corroborate what is being said in American and European history and news sites. Seems that only mainland China and maybe a few of her client states have differing views... hmm

Pretty obvious to them that we do not have much censorship here when our media blasts our political leaders and our history professors and documentaries constantly remind us how bad we are because of what our fathers did to Mexico, Native Americans, Vietnam, etc.

My girlfriend and her roommate are mainland Chinese. They knew nothing of what happened at "The June Fourth Incident" or the countless other atrocities before being exposed to uncensored information. Kinda like realizing you had been lied to all your life. Thankfully, my girlfriend's parents are quite old and recalled many of the things that happened during the Maoist "reforms." She told me what she said about them, it was really, really, really bad.