Reviews For Nforce2 Dual Vs. Single Channel???

syberscott

Feb 20, 2003
I can't seem to find any comparisons between running single or dual channel memory. I've heard there is less than a 5% difference, but where did this number originally come from. There must be a review or something; I just can't find it.

Hottie

Nov 29, 2002
Well, I have nf2 and have running my rig on single or dual channel from 133 to 200mhz. And I DON'T see and real world diff, but it will make you FEEL ur rig is running faster.

Just my .2cents

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
everyone says the dual channel business doesn't make your mobo faster :)

only a 3-5% gain...

BUT... with the integrated graphics, it's supposed to make it a lot better...

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: syberscott
I can't seem to find any comparisons between running single or dual channel memory. I've heard there is less than a 5% difference, but where did this number originally come from. There must be a review or something; I just can't find it.

To find this info don't look at the current motherboard reveiws, but instead look for the Pre-veiws of the nForce2 chipset. There you will find detailed comparisons. As others have stated, it is not much added performance unless you have the IGP capable chipset. Then Dual-Channnel is a must.

I run mine dual channel because it's there more than anything else.

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
i believe that hexus compared single and dual in their nforce2 review. running dual channel really didn't do anything.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Here is some info to check out: nForce2 benchmarks of DDR versus DualDDR

The bandwidth of PC2100 matches the bandwidth of a 133MHz-based AthlonXP's frontside bus. The bandwidth of PC2700 matches the 166MHz-based AthlonXP's. So the CPU itself is not going to need more bandwidth. The nForce2 chipset can use the excess bandwidth for speculative prefetch, trying to guess what data the CPU will want next and having it cached on the northbridge and ready to go. As you can see from some of the SPEC benchies there, there are specialized situations where DASP seems to hit the right groove and increases performance a lot.

In most users' situations, however, the chipset performs about the same either way unless you're using the onboard video of those boards which feature it. If you do have onboard video, then DualDDR will improve your gaming framerates dramatically: check out these benchies and the ones on the next pages for the contrast between DDR and DualDDR.

syberscott

Feb 20, 2003
Thanks for the help. I ask because I'm not sure whether to get 2 sticks of 256 pc3500 or one stick of 512 pc3500. The 512 would allow an easier upgrade in the future, so I'm kinda leaning that way.

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
Thanks for the help. I ask because I'm not sure whether to get 2 sticks of 256 pc3500 or one stick of 512 pc3500. The 512 would allow an easier upgrade in the future, so I'm kinda leaning that way.

i would just get 2 512 sticks. :D

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: EdipisReks

:D:D

syberscott

Feb 20, 2003
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Originally posted by: EdipisReks

:D:D

Sure, if you each send me a check you can split the difference. Thanks, you can make that out to.......;)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
How about two 512 sticks of Crucial PC2700? I tend to think the law of decreasing returns sets in really fast when you go beyond that price point, when you look at tangible real-world results for the dollar. Currently under $160 shipped for 2 512's at Googlegear :D