Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
2pm Realtor text that water was staining the ceiling at one of the rentals. Crap, water heater/HVAC/roof... ? Thanks to covid, I have nothing to do at 2pm on a Thursday. Closed up, went home to load possibly needed tools/ladder...raining like a I might need a John boat. "Thankfully", the roof is leaking. Put 2 pans out for temps until I get someone that knows their jerb. Go back to the office, missed a call from a customer that does construction. Called and he said he would look. Short story after that, $150 to replace both borked boots and another $150 to replace the 2 at the other place.

Effing win, bbq.

Attachments

• IMG_4179.jpg
    IMG_4179.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG954181.jpg
    IMG954181.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: lxskllr

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Other than my wedding pics, there are probably fewer than ten pics of me in my twenties, maybe under five pics.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Other than my wedding pics, there are probably fewer than ten pics of me in my twenties, maybe under five pics.
Maybe I should look.

Side note, effing ancestry has my HS pic in my profile. Nothing is safe.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
A little background: My home setup consists of 2 4k monitors, one on top of each other. Bottom one is primary and top is secondary. Primary is on a KVM so I can switch between main machine, gaming machine, and work machine. The top monitor I just switch the inputs between HDMI and DP for the work machine as the work machine is DP so I just have a DP cable going straight to it. For primary I use a DP to HDMI adapter that goes to KVM from the other machine DP port. Basically the work machine has 2 DP, VGA and DVI. No HDMI. I also have 2 extra side HD monitors for work using DVI and VGA as one of those is actually the primary for the work one while the two 4ks are secondaries along with another HD.

It's always super annoying when I turn off my top monitor as it makes all the windows on my work machine shuffle all over the place. The bottom one is ok because of the KVM. We have the same issue at work, so we just keep our monitors on, but this is my personal monitors so I don't really want to do that. Also I need to be able to switch input to HDMI for my personal machine, that too, causes the window shuffle thing to happen. It's a windows bug with DP that has been around since like 2010 and Microsoft refuses to fix it. To make matters worse for whatever reason, Linux Mint does the same thing but with HDMI! So any time I was switching between work/personal it was always a battle dealing with that. I fixed the Linux issue by getting a HDMI dongle that basically emulates that a monitor is always there so I plugged that in at my personal machine then put the HDMI cable in going to the monitor. The work PC is DP and I could not find an adapter like that which had DP so I just put up with the annoyance with the work PC. I was just happy my personal one was ok.

Fast forward to today. I should have did this like a year ago, but I bought another KVM switch to use for the top monitor, using it for HDMI only. No keyboard or mouse attached to it. I just finished setting it up so I can switch between the work PC and home PC on that monitor too and it works flawlessly, and best of all, the PCs do not shuffle all the windows around when I turn off or switch the monitor!

To make things EVEN BETTER, I can now run BOTH monitors at 60hz now. Before I had to do one at 50 and one at 30, or 40 and 40 etc. I could not do both at 60 or even one at 60 and other at 30. It was a battle trying to figure out the right combo as while I'm trying to set that up everything would flicker and do weird crap. But now that I'm running both the same brand/model KVM for both monitors it seems Linux is happier now and lets me run both at 60. No more weird lag when dragging windows from one to the other. Youtube videos also feel a bit more smooth.

For about $200 this extra KVM was worth every penny for my sanity and I wish I had bought it a year ago. I had thought of it but at the time I did not realize I'd be working from home semi permanently.

BTW this is it. I highly recommend it: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07G883R35

I own 3 of these now. Two here at home and one at work as I have a laptop I use for web surfing that I switch back and forth to.

Of course for at home, I could have got one that does dual display, but I kind of like the granularity of being able to switch only one monitor. I set all my important stuff on the top monitor so I can still watch my alarms while neffing. when working from home we don't open everything we just divide up the tasks. Since I knew this model worked well I wanted to stick with it. 90% of KVMs out there are pure garbage. They lock up, or lose mouse/keyboard, or are slow to switch etc. This one is fairly quick. The monitor takes a few seconds to switch but mouse/keyboard is instant.

But yeah, this is a big win today. Now I just hope this continues to work. The last time I had a semi working solution involving a DP to HDMI converter and the same style of dongle I was using for my personal machine, it would randomly die on me. There is still a DP to HDMI converter involved in this setup so hopefully i won't face the same issue... I'll know tomorrow when I'm actually using my work machine.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i fixed my 3d printer last night. i am taking a day of vacation tomorrow. and hopefully taking a real vacation (peru) around thanksgiving

Reactions: Kaido

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
45673af04c15574e01516c6913dfed4b.jpg

I bought my first new color TV (20" CRT JVC) in 1989 at an indy warehouse store around a mile from me. I tied the box to a skateboard and pulled it home on the sidewalks. :p

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Got my suede Russell Minimalist Hurons back from being re-soled,a day earlier than I expected.

(I expected them to come back on Tuesday,Sept.28,2021..they arrived on Monday,Sept.27,2021..)

Had them since Jan.2017.

So comfortable.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've been trying to find a decent quality sliding patio door in the area. Home Depot has some low-end, "entry level quality" doors in stock, otherwise, all the manufacturers are 12-16 weeks out.

I did some calling around today to some of the building supply houses, found one that was mis-ordered last year...and still in stock in their warehouse. It's the brand and model I wanted...but it doesn't have the "blinds between the glass" that my wife wanted.
Still, because it has a very small scuff mark on the frame, I can get a $1500 door for $300...with full factory warranty. The catch is...I have to drive about 75 miles each way to get it.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I got to work today and before I pulled in the driveway I saw a huge amount of trash in front my work area. The homeless often drag garbage bags from other companies break area into the light to scrounge. My helper has been out sick forever so I got to clean it up. I was all like " FUCK ME" .

As I was cleaning up someone come up and tells me there more in a different area. I go look and there is a ton of bags and gloves and crap and go tell my boss. She tells me were short and asks nicely if I can take someone off the dock and clean it up....

I went to get the guy off the dock and he tells me it's 7 minutes until his break but he will meet me out there after his break.

I went back out and it was starting to sprinkle so I said fuck it and started doing it myself. I notice tons of rubber gloves and a few empty bags of fertilizer and realize this is from the pot farms next door. This is not uncommon. I few times a year I find bails of shake and stems in my areas. This time was different. Usually the shake has had all the trichomes shaken off.. I could still see hairs. So I start grabbing handfuls of shake and spotted a huge nug. I started moving stuff around and start spotting little buds here and there and then another huge bud....

I looked around for something to put them in and had nothing so I pulled off my rubber gloves and started stuffing them full of buds. I had almost filled my second glove when the guy from the dock showed up so I stuffed the second glove in my apron and told him to look what I found... I know this dude. He's one of the biggest stoners in the company.. He looks at me and says " I guess we got to throw it all away??" With a sad look on his face. I was like " Or we can split it?"

So yeah, I got to keep what I found before he came outside and half of what we found together. I'm not going to weigh it but its a corelle cereal bowl full of buds..

I quit smoking weed altogether 3 years ago...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I got to work today and before I pulled in the driveway I saw a huge amount of trash in front my work area. The homeless often drag garbage bags from other companies break area into the light to scrounge. My helper has been out sick forever so I got to clean it up. I was all like " FUCK ME" .

As I was cleaning up someone come up and tells me there more in a different area. I go look and there is a ton of bags and gloves and crap and go tell my boss. She tells me were short and asks nicely if I can take someone off the dock and clean it up....

I went to get the guy off the dock and he tells me it's 7 minutes until his break but he will meet me out there after his break.

I went back out and it was starting to sprinkle so I said fuck it and started doing it myself. I notice tons of rubber gloves and a few empty bags of fertilizer and realize this is from the pot farms next door. This is not uncommon. I few times a year I find bails of shake and stems in my areas. This time was different. Usually the shake has had all the trichomes shaken off.. I could still see hairs. So I start grabbing handfuls of shake and spotted a huge nug. I started moving stuff around and start spotting little buds here and there and then another huge bud....

I looked around for something to put them in and had nothing so I pulled off my rubber gloves and started stuffing them full of buds. I had almost filled my second glove when the guy from the dock showed up so I stuffed the second glove in my apron and told him to look what I found... I know this dude. He's one of the biggest stoners in the company.. He looks at me and says " I guess we got to throw it all away??" With a sad look on his face. I was like " Or we can split it?"

So yeah, I got to keep what I found before he came outside and half of what we found together. I'm not going to weigh it but its a corelle cereal bowl full of buds..

I quit smoking weed altogether 3 years ago...

So...like manna from heaven?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've been trying to find a decent quality sliding patio door in the area. Home Depot has some low-end, "entry level quality" doors in stock, otherwise, all the manufacturers are 12-16 weeks out.

I did some calling around today to some of the building supply houses, found one that was mis-ordered last year...and still in stock in their warehouse. It's the brand and model I wanted...but it doesn't have the "blinds between the glass" that my wife wanted.
Still, because it has a very small scuff mark on the frame, I can get a $1500 door for $300...with full factory warranty. The catch is...I have to drive about 75 miles each way to get it.

So...this is also a FWP kind of thing...went and got the door...HOPEFULLY it fits. (Right measurements...but you never know) However, the contractor who is going to install it was SUPPOSED to have a crew here yesterday by 0830. They didn't show...I called him because I had to return the U-Haul trailer by 1100 and needed to get it unloaded. Some of his crew finally showed up about 1030. I got the trailer back just before noon.
They were supposed to be here this morning at 0800...they just arrived.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
So...like manna from heaven?

Found another bag with probably another quarter in it. I gave the stuff I found yesterday to a friend. He texted me this morning with a nice thank you and said it was apparently head wobblingly good. Found like another quarter today. I might just throw that in my sock drawer.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My youngest son tried playing the new Battlefield 2042 beta game, and it brought his current PC to its knees (6th gen Intel 4-core, 4-thread CPU). He has been CPU limited in his games for a while now, but the performance is now bad enough where he wants to upgrade his PC. However, that's not the "good thing" for me. For the first time in 20 years, he's paying for his own computer parts!

He actually offered to pay for it right off the bat, which surprised me more than anything. His current PC has a SATA SSD, so I decided to buy him a NVMe SSD on me since he's paying for the CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

He's a sophomore in college still living at home, so we still cover his car, insurance, food, clothing, and utilities, so it's not like he's "suffering" too much in the disposable account balance area.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My youngest son tried playing the new Battlefield 2042 beta game, and it brought his current PC to its knees (6th gen Intel 4-core, 4-thread CPU). He has been CPU limited in his games for a while now, but the performance is now bad enough where he wants to upgrade his PC. However, that's not the "good thing" for me. For the first time in 20 years, he's paying for his own computer parts!

He actually offered to pay for it right off the bat, which surprised me more than anything. His current PC has a SATA SSD, so I decided to buy him a NVMe SSD on me since he's paying for the CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

He's a sophomore in college still living at home, so we still cover his car, insurance, food, clothing, and utilities, so it's not like he's "suffering" too much in the disposable account balance area.

Dad? Izzat you?

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay and UsandThem

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

That's a cool story. Just wait until he gets into "mining". :p

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay