Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have a clump of queen annes lace in the yard that I mow around. Earlier in the season there's fleabane and something else I keep. My neighbors probably hate me. That's ok. I hate them too :^P

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Wasn't today but... brought my Camry into the shop for a second oil leak. First one was easy, valve cover gasket which was obvious. Second one looked like it could be coming from the engine :oops: . I don't have a floor jack (no garage, no place to keep it) so I couldn't look closer. I waited nervously in the lobby, Gino, my man at the shop comes out and asks if I want the good news or bad news (*shit*). Bad news - there is no bad news (!), gasket around the drain plug disintegrated. They fixed it and he sent me on my way with no charge :D. Sometime it pays to be a loyal customer for 25 years!

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

A member of the dayflower family, spiderwort is ephemeral, meaning individual flowers only open completely for one day, even though a plant can host blossoms for up to eight weeks.

Reactions: lxskllr

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Two evenings, two tortoises, maybe sdifox is right. :p

One of the parents showed up, not sure if mom or dad. The gular projection (the double ram under the head) is kind of small for a male of this size and kind of big for a female.

1626880432812.png

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So bank draft for that property I bought is in lawyer's hands and I signed. Property officially mine next week. I don't think there is any other action needed other than to wait for closing date now.

I'll have to go back some time and I'll probably want to stake out the property. Might try to find the monument or existing claim post or stakes if there is any. I'll want to make a trail that goes all around, just to act as a perimiter. And maybe a makeshift fence with some no tresspassing signs and maybe some danger about traps or something. Need to try to keep thieves out.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
So bank draft for that property I bought is in lawyer's hands and I signed. Property officially mine next week. I don't think there is any other action needed other than to wait for closing date now.

I'll have to go back some time and I'll probably want to stake out the property. Might try to find the monument or existing claim post or stakes if there is any. I'll want to make a trail that goes all around, just to act as a perimiter. And maybe a makeshift fence with some no tresspassing signs and maybe some danger about traps or something. Need to try to keep thieves out.
What's property tax on the land? I've got 8ac that is designated as agricultural....I'm growing woods ;)...paid $33 last year.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What's property tax on the land? I've got 8ac that is designated as agricultural....I'm growing woods ;)...paid $33 last year.
We're thinking about getting a cow or something as it would drop the taxes for the property we are trying to buy from ~$2100/year to $5/year. F'in' welfare ranchers!

• Wow
Reactions: highland145

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Wow that's cheap especially for a place that has zoning.

No zoning and no rules or building permits etc needed where this land is. $100/year though. Still way cheaper than what I'm paying in town. Bare land in town is like $900+ for a small house lot, skyrockets to $4000+ the minute you build anything on it.

At that land I can build what I want pretty much and taxes are not really affected. I think every 5 years there is some kind of provincial assessment but it makes hardly no difference especially for non lake front. The cottage areas do pay a bit more I think.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I heard we have ticks here now, don't know if that property has them or if it's possible to test for that, but if I can confirm there is, I'll want to get lots of chickens and roosters. Just let them multiply.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Wow that's cheap especially for a place that has zoning.

No zoning and no rules or building permits etc needed where this land is. $100/year though. Still way cheaper than what I'm paying in town. Bare land in town is like $900+ for a small house lot, skyrockets to $4000+ the minute you build anything on it.

At that land I can build what I want pretty much and taxes are not really affected. I think every 5 years there is some kind of provincial assessment but it makes hardly no difference especially for non lake front. The cottage areas do pay a bit more I think.
It's about 30 min out in the county. Has to be 5ac+ to be claimed agricultural. It was $350 before I got it changed. My house is really cheap compared to just about anywhere else, ~$500/yr. The 2 rentals are of the chain, $2200 each since we don't live in them. Which is still cheap compared to other places.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Sister wife flooded her laundry room....youtube university, fix.com...fast forward, fix.com and amazon...washer fixed for $40.

No sister wife pics.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
We're thinking about getting a cow or something as it would drop the taxes for the property we are trying to buy from ~$2100/year to $5/year. F'in' welfare ranchers!
That cow will cost you more than 2100 a year to keep

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That cow will cost you more than 2100 a year to keep

I'd rather spend money on a cow than the government if given the choice. :p

Trying to figure out how to take a lower hit on capital gains and income tax when I take out my stocks and been thinking it might be the thing of just giving a couple grand to the church or food bank or something as I rather give money to a good cause than to the government who already gets more than enough from me through normal income. I will need to contact my accountant to figure out the numbers or any tips and tricks. I'm thinking it's just the thing of not taking out too much at once.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'd rather spend money on a cow than the government if given the choice. :p

Trying to figure out how to take a lower hit on capital gains and income tax when I take out my stocks and been thinking it might be the thing of just giving a couple grand to the church or food bank or something as I rather give money to a good cause than to the government who already gets more than enough from me through normal income. I will need to contact my accountant to figure out the numbers or any tips and tricks. I'm thinking it's just the thing of not taking out too much at once.
Ask Jeremy Clarkson how his year of farming turned out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
$2100 a year? you feeding that cow gold?
If you fed a cow gold it would cost one billion dollars a year to keep.

You think 2100 bucks is a lot of money?
Do yourself a favor. Only go to the grocery store for a year.
No McDonalds. No Applebees. No pizza hut. Just eat from a grocery store, nothing else.
KEEP EVERY RECEIPT!! Total them up at the end of the year.

How much did you spend?