Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Signed up for my first COVID vaccine shot. Jan 28th - won the vaccine lottery apparently.
Of course, winning the actual lottery would have been better, not that I have a clue on what to do with a Billion $$s.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
ordered pizza hut last night at 9:02P and it was delivered at 9:19P....and it was a stuffed crust :pizza::hearteyes:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My gas bill equal payment plan just went down to $90. Crazy it's that low. This warm winter is probably helping. Meanwhile my water bill went up to like $110 so what I save in gas I'm just paying in water lol.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
My gas bill equal payment plan just went down to $90. Crazy it's that low. This warm winter is probably helping. Meanwhile my water bill went up to like $110 so what I save in gas I'm just paying in water lol.

Is that monthly for water? How much water do you use? The most I pay for water is ~$150 for three months, and that's during the summer when the sprinklers are going.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah it's monthly, we get raped here. It's flat rate and it goes up by around $5-10 every year. I have option of going on a meter but you have to prepay for a large amount per month even if you don't use it. Comes up to around $60. May be worth it though. Depends if that amount goes up every year too, since if yes then it will come up to the same thing in the end.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We pay around $180 every 2 months for water & sewer. Fluxuates with water usage, of course.
Our electric bill runs $200-$250/month in the winter, $100-$130/ mo. In the warmer months. (All electric house...heat, cooking, water heating)

Nov 20, 2009
One of the things I noticed early on upon moving to Atlanta was that the culture was to drive 20-30 miles into the workplace and thus consume a lot of gasoline, and in turn pay out a lot into gasoline tax to the respective county I gassed-up in. Then I quickly learned that the poorly constructed homes--including the brand new homes--were of such poor quality to actually breath twice as much, if not more, than recommended so as to cause you to use more electricity or natural gas in a given year's time. Seriously, I lived tenement houses build around the turn of the previous century that were more tighter in the weather envelope than what SCAMtlanta was allowing during the 1990's and 2000's. I moved here in 1996 and by 1998 it was usual for the morning radiuo shows locally to talk about peoples $350-600/month natural gas bill on their 1,500 square foot so called home.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
One of the things I noticed early on upon moving to Atlanta was that the culture was to drive 20-30 miles into the workplace and thus consume a lot of gasoline, and in turn pay out a lot into gasoline tax to the respective county I gassed-up in. Then I quickly learned that the poorly constructed homes--including the brand new homes--were of such poor quality to actually breath twice as much, if not more, than recommended so as to cause you to use more electricity or natural gas in a given year's time. Seriously, I lived tenement houses build around the turn of the previous century that were more tighter in the weather envelope than what SCAMtlanta was allowing during the 1990's and 2000's. I moved here in 1996 and by 1998 it was usual for the morning radiuo shows locally to talk about peoples $350-600/month natural gas bill on their 1,500 square foot so called home.

because tornado is going to trash it anyway, so no need to do a good job.

Nov 20, 2009
Rare incident. Can't base one years windy moment to set a standard. You should have said something like it makes it easier for Sherman to burn it to the ground again.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon zest

Soak the lemon zest in the lemon juice and set aside in fridge.

Custard base:
Heat cream, milk, sugar in a heavy sauce pan. Stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot but don't bring to boil. Whisk egg yolks and pour into cream mixture. Cook custard, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly. Don't allow to boil. Remove the custard from heat. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over custard, pressing the wrap onto the top of the custard and place in fridge. The plastic wrap reduces skin formation on the top of the custard. Chill until custard is at fridge temperature (don't freeze).

Once cooled, remove plastic wrap and any surface skin from custard. Stir lemon juice and zest into custard. Pour custard into ice cream maker and churn/freeze per ice cream maker instructions.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon zest

Soak the lemon zest in the lemon juice and set aside in fridge.

Custard base:
Heat cream, milk, sugar in a heavy sauce pan. Stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot but don't bring to boil. Whisk egg yolks and pour into cream mixture. Cook custard, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly. Don't allow to boil. Remove the custard from heat. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over custard, pressing the wrap onto the top of the custard and place in fridge. The plastic wrap reduces skin formation on the top of the custard. Chill until custard is at fridge temperature (don't freeze).

Once cooled, remove plastic wrap and any surface skin from custard. Stir lemon juice and zest into custard. Pour custard into ice cream maker and churn/freeze per ice cream maker instructions.

Awesome thank you. My wife got me a kitchenaid attachment for ice cream making. I've made 2 so far and she loves lemon so I'd like to give this a go.