Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The grocery stores around here have restocked & things are getting back to normal. Got meat, milk, and eggs. Crowds are starting to die down. I think people are just accepting that they're going to be in it for the long-haul & don't need to hoard so much. Although our supply chain might get impacted over the next month or two as we see a spike in the spread of the virus...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
So people are stealing hand sanitizer and paper towels instead of Oxy and Valium? Oh no!!

Staple supplies are more easily accessible at a doctor's office & hospital than the meds lol. Although then that cuts down on the hospital's available supply, which stinks for the workers & patients :(

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My friend is a nurse & said they've had massive theft of everything...hand sanitizer, liquid soap, paper towels, etc.
Grounds for firing, right there.

Possibly awesome news. We have a townhouse that we rent through VRBO. Just took a $2900 rental loss because of the corona. And we comitted to buying another just prior to the shit hitting the fan. I've got a lead on 2 quality, long term, renters that should cover the payments/costs for the next year. Hopefully the virus will be under control by then.

Reactions: lxskllr

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
They need those things to reduce germs and keep people alive.
Its kinda necessary for a hospital to be clean or else everything is basically pointless.
Customer is a surgery tech at the VA. They had a 45 min in service to show them how to wash their hands. She thought it was a bit late if they haven't been doing it right.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Possibly awesome news. We have a townhouse that we rent through VRBO. Just took a $2900 rental loss because of the corona. And we comitted to buying another just prior to the shit hitting the fan. I've got a lead on 2 quality, long term, renters that should cover the payments/costs for the next year. Hopefully the virus will be under control by then.

if not...you can always jack your vig rates up a bit to cover the short fall...right?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Got a commitment on the new place. Can't move in until 7/1 but it's a solid deal. The other is smaller than the guy wants...meh.

Reactions: lxskllr

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Only if they're working. Today, talked with 2 that work for restaurant....unemployed. Blood and a turnip....

Well...if they look good enough...or have young looking (legal age only) daughters...you could always expand your stable...

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Taxes is ready. Sent the boss because I couldn't go. $132 fed, $167 state....wut? I overpay because I don't know what P&L is going to look like so usually get back $5K+. Call the cpa, he didn't deduct the health insurance. Not 100% his fault because I effed up the w-2, box 12 but we had talked about it. $3600 in the pocket.

That's like 7 rolls of tp. Think I'll just get the bank to give 1 dollar bills....

:p

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Got my taxes done too, don't know how long it will take until it goes into my account with all what's going on, but glad that's done. I can definitely use the money. We don't get a bonus at work anymore, so tax time is the only big chunk of change I can look forward to. Getting around $1,200. That's around what I get. Yeah I could try to see if I can do stuff to lower that, but I figure what's the point, I rather have a buffer for in case I do an activity of sorts (cashing in stocks or something) that involves me paying more. I just don't ever want to get stuck paying.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Haven't even looked at taxes yet. Now that things have been bumped forward, I may not for a couple months. Doesn't take any time, but I just don't feel like it.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Collected a swarm of Honey bees yesterday and today they seem right at home cleaning their new home and a real plus they seem gentle. Pretty light colored bees. Days like this are good days.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've had a lot of realizations while sitting around. Some good may come from this.
Previously distant families may learn to communicate again.
Many of us might realize there's all kinds of crap we just don't need.
We may learn to appreciate the intangibles over the tangibles.
Some of us might be a LOT more critical of our candidates when voting comes around.
We may put more time, effort, and money into health care, in a way that actually helps the masses and not the privileged.
We could learn to be more frugal and less wasteful with our household essentials.

Actually I had more spiritual stuff in mind when I started this post and my brain went mushy.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I've had a lot of realizations while sitting around. Some good may come from this.
Previously distant families may learn to communicate again.
Many of us might realize there's all kinds of crap we just don't need.
We may learn to appreciate the intangibles over the tangibles.
Some of us might be a LOT more critical of our candidates when voting comes around.
We may put more time, effort, and money into health care, in a way that actually helps the masses and not the privileged.
We could learn to be more frugal and less wasteful with our household essentials.

Actually I had more spiritual stuff in mind when I started this post and my brain went mushy.

I must be a pessimist, because I don't see any of those happening at all. Hopefully you're right, though!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
So my adopted child goes to the local Goodyear about her a.c.. $1500. Her Dad ...steps in... and sends her to a local place. $35 relay.
That pisses me off. A garage or car place could rip me off too and I'd never know it. Same as I could bs someone about their computer (if I was selling parts or service). It's a shame you gotta worry about that when just trying to get your car fixed or inspected.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use a prepaid cell for my home internet. I recently boosted my plan to the $50 level. That gives me unlimited everything, but only a 12gb wifi hotspot. Got a text from boost that 'to support me', they added 20gb of hotspot to my plan. Yay me! I'm still a little undecided on the value of the $50 plan. The $35 plan gave me 3gb highspeed, but was then throttled and unlimited. With the 12gb, if I run out of data, that's it. It just gets shut down til the next month. I can get a lot of stuff done with 2g speeds. Set stuff to go overnight, and it's done in the morning. Sucks browsing on 2g though...