Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Silas has new training wheels. 😀 He's about 2.5 and a bike was all that he wanted for last Christmas. It wasn't on his Ma's list. So super fixer, the wife, drags me to that French place (targee´) to get him a $49.99 ride. :rolleyes;

Well, today, the ride is busted. His older sister took it for a spin. "He gonna fix my bike?" Looks like I have a new adopted child. 😨

😉

Yes, that floor is an indication of the mess in my shop.

Attachments

• 0312202026.jpg
    0312202026.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 12

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Shit's going my way for a change...

Being bad-tempered and pessimistic helps you to earn more, live longer and enjoy a healthier marriage. It’s almost enough to put a smile on the dourest of faces.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Second night in a row Mamas the cat has been affectionate. She's the one that bit my fingertip off. It's still both numb, and painful :^D She might turn out to be a decent cat afterall. She seems happy to see me after work, and doesn't run away as much as she did. I still like Schnookums better, and neither are as good as my old princess, but they're pretty good cats.

Reactions: highland145

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Shit's going my way for a change...

Didn't read the article, but it's true. George Costanza proved it; act pissed off all the time and everyone will think you're constantly busy at work and important. :D

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dropped off my taxes to get done, which involved going outside.

Marked safe from coronavirus.

Not to be dismissive of the severity of the impact of the coronavirus, but as an introvert, life hasn't really changed for me with all the lockdowns lol. Note that being an introvert doesn't mean being anti-social, just that I have a social battery, and when it runs out, I'd rather be at home, on my couch, under my weighted blanket, chilling with some food & TV shows...so I'm pretty much still doing what I do anyway, haha!

Also on the plus side with the lockdowns, many of my customers are no longer accepting on-site workers (and some are actually temperature-testing you before allowing you to enter the building), so instead of my usual ~70 hours a week driving all over the place, I actually have some time to work on projects at home! Silver lining among a grim situation, I guess.

Reactions: snoopy7548

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I just realized that muffins are cupcakes without icing. o_O

Once upon a time, a co-worker walked past me at around 8:00am in the morning with a big slice of birthday cake that someone had brought in. I called him out on it, because who eats cake first thing in the morning? He looked at me, looked at my donut, then back at me, and said "You're eating deep-fried cake and I'm just eating regular cake, so mine is healthier".

It was then that I realized that my deep-fried cake, which was covered with frosting & sprinkles, was, in fact, a worse decision than straight-up birthday cake, and my world has never been the same since.

• Haha
Reactions: snoopy7548

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I just realized that muffins are cupcakes without icing. o_O

On a tangent, I recently discovered the joy of grilled muffins. You basically slice them in half vertically & then fry them up in some butter, sort of like grilled cheese, so that it gets a bit of a crispy side. Off. The. HOOK!

I had a corn muffin this way at a diner recently & it was so good that I ordered a blueberry one done the same way. So simple, yet so awesome haha.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not to be dismissive of the severity of the impact of the coronavirus, but as an introvert, life hasn't really changed for me with all the lockdowns lol. Note that being an introvert doesn't mean being anti-social, just that I have a social battery, and when it runs out, I'd rather be at home, on my couch, under my weighted blanket, chilling with some food & TV shows...so I'm pretty much still doing what I do anyway, haha!

Also on the plus side with the lockdowns, many of my customers are no longer accepting on-site workers (and some are actually temperature-testing you before allowing you to enter the building), so instead of my usual ~70 hours a week driving all over the place, I actually have some time to work on projects at home! Silver lining among a grim situation, I guess.

Funny I keep hearing about how much Americans lives are about to change but I'm either at work or at home like 95% of the time anyway?

Reactions: highland145

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Funny I keep hearing about how much Americans lives are about to change but I'm either at work or at home like 95% of the time anyway?

It's just the news websites going overboard - note that I absolutely think we should take it extremely seriously, but sites like CNN keep pushing the "YOU NEED TO PANIC!!!" button. Yeah, we need to hunker down for a few weeks or a few months possibly, but not so much to stop the spread, because most of us are going to get it, as much as to minimize impact on the healthcare systems & to limit the exposure to people with weak immune systems, because we don't want a repeat of Italy. They had over 350 die from it just in one day, just awful:

They are really getting slammed:

It seems like we're waking up to the lessons learned from there, here in America. Massachusetts made a bunch of bans, including gatherings of 25 people or more, and no dining in at restaurants:

There's a lot of fallout from those executive decisions going on, but I think it's essential that we pay attention to what happened in other countries so that we can limit the consequences here. It's going to be bad, but we'll ride it out...I just wish the news would chill on the FUD a little bit. It's serious, but don't panic! Just be prepared - keep things clean, limit your exposure, stock up as needed, etc.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

That's totally how I feel too. Pretty much nothing has really affected me with this whole thing and as bad as it sounds I actually find it oddly interesting to see unfold, just never seen anything like this before where so much stuff gets cancelled etc. It almost feels like a movie. I normally don't go to any large social gatherings anyway and been trying to avoid going out as much as I can and being more diligent when I do. Oddly enough I have gone to the groceries more than I normally do lately even though I was actually trying to avoid going out more. But it's mostly because I figure I would keep myself stocked while I still can. But now I'm really good for a while so don't need to go anymore.

I'm actually kind of hoping my work place gets us to work from home as that will be kind of cool.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Went to the grocery store today, and was able to get a package of bottled water, and the last gallon of milk. :)

I didn't need the bottled water for drinking, as I only use it for my neti pot. With tree pollen being sky-high in the south now, I'm glad I won't have to keep boiling tap water for it. I just happened to use the last of the gallon of distilled water I had, and then the shit hit the fan with everyone buying all the water and paper.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I prefer working in the office but my company has instituted a two week work from home as of this past Friday, and the client I'm working for right now has a one week WFH, and I'd bet it'll be extended to two weeks, or more.

But the main good thing about it is: I get about 1.5 more hours of sleep cause I don't have to drive into the client location. That's good cause I'm a total failure at going to bed at a reasonable time. And I can sit in my pj's all day rofl.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

Yeah the work from home is the only thing that's changed for me. Although I think my gym will close anytime so that'll be a change too. Crap.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I was just about to go to bed last night and my internet died. I'm working from home and while I could just drive to the office if I didn't have internet, I didn't really want to cause I like the extra 1.5 hours of sleep, lol.

I DM'd the Ask Spectrum account on Twitter cause they're pretty prompt in answering service requests, and they replied about 30 minutes or so later that maintenence was taking place and they had no expected completion time, but if it wasn't back by 8 am (when I start work) to let them know.

So I got up a few hours before 8 to check and sure enough that mofo was back. Went back to bed happy haha.