Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I was at Funspot yesterday. This is just one of about five rows of arcade and pinball machines on just the upper level.

If I had the money, I would totally quit my job and open up a place like this. Spend all day maintaining and playing the games.

BTW, it's pretty dark in there. The Google Pixel 3a takes incredible photos with the Night Sight mode.

IMG_20200212_112146.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's awesome. Sadly never really got to experience arcades, they kinda went away before my time. Always did kind of wonder how well they would do in this era. I think it would be niche but it could work out I think. I guess the issue is the costs of doing business are so high now days, even if you buy your own building, buy all the stuff and it's paid off, it's the ongoing costs that are crazy, like city taxes, liability insurance, and all that crap.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Renewed my TX driver's license today...I wasn't eligible to renew online but I did use the online 'make an appointment' feature ...I had a 2:20PM appointment, showed up at 2:10 (which they request that you show up 10 minutes before appointment) and I was out the door at 2:30....

There was a line of people just waiting to get and the waiting room was packed...I don't understand why more people don't make appointments...

I was reading stories on NextDoor and some Facebook groups in my area that said the wait would be anywhere from 2-6 hours which would be true if you don't make an appointment...

The other thing I don't understand is why people don't check the website beforehand to have all the necessary forms/docs before you walk in the door, especially now if your state was not RealID compliant. I spent an hour gathering a bunch of documents (W-2, voter card, utility bills, proof of insurance, passport, credit card statements, certified birth certificate, etc) but they only looked at my passport....I remember reading somewhere if you have TSA Pre check (which I do), makes the process easier but not sure if that is actually true or not...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I was at Funspot yesterday. This is just one of about five rows of arcade and pinball machines on just the upper level.

If I had the money, I would totally quit my job and open up a place like this. Spend all day maintaining and playing the games.

BTW, it's pretty dark in there. The Google Pixel 3a takes incredible photos with the Night Sight mode.

View attachment 17036

They have a few Timeout locations in Dallas that are pretty fun...my favorite game there is Crazy Taxi but I don't remember that one at the arcade...

it was fun to play galaga, joust, beer tap, track and field, robotron, tron, star wars and all of the others in their original glory...

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I know and I’m not excited about it but there likely will be some sort of magnetic port.
Still torn on Apple vs Android.
Apple at least doesn’t share data in such a creepy way as android devices do, however the Apple tax is pretty insulting.

I do wonder if they'll be forced to use USB-C because of the EU law. Perhaps if they have no connector they wont be required.
Seems like Apple might become the budget brand too...now that phones like the S20 start at $1k and shoot over $2k.

It's all the fucking idiots who refuse to allow value products. If it doesn't cost a shit ton they can't brag about how much they wasted.
Like the Nexus line, nearly top spec for $300-400. Couldn't sell them for crap, switch the name double the price and BAM! instant hot seller.

I see it all the time in every product segment, people flat out refuse to buy anything that gives you way more for your money.
People only care about social status now, they must brag how superior they are because of their greed, vanity, materialism, and immorality.
It's forcing the market to eliminate all the great value products and segment into "cheap" garbage or insanely overpriced mediocrity.
What's really disgusting is that because of the insane pricing on the top end, companies justify raising prices on the cheap garbage.
For low income people like me, that means there's almost nothing new we can even afford no matter how "cheap" it is vs the top.
The stuff we can afford is absolutely not worth buying. Most poor people are to dumb to realize that and fall into the trap of debt.

So what are the alternative options? Live like a (well off) homeless person and bitch about all this bullshit on the internet of course!

Feb 4, 2009
I do wonder if they'll be forced to use USB-C because of the EU law. Perhaps if they have no connector they wont be required.
Seems like Apple might become the budget brand too...now that phones like the S20 start at $1k and shoot over $2k.

It's all the fucking idiots who refuse to allow value products. If it doesn't cost a shit ton they can't brag about how much they wasted.
Like the Nexus line, nearly top spec for $300-400. Couldn't sell them for crap, switch the name double the price and BAM! instant hot seller.

I see it all the time in every product segment, people flat out refuse to buy anything that gives you way more for your money.
People only care about social status now, they must brag how superior they are because of their greed, vanity, materialism, and immorality.
It's forcing the market to eliminate all the great value products and segment into "cheap" garbage or insanely overpriced mediocrity.
What's really disgusting is that because of the insane pricing on the top end, companies justify raising prices on the cheap garbage.
For low income people like me, that means there's almost nothing new we can even afford no matter how "cheap" it is vs the top.
The stuff we can afford is absolutely not worth buying. Most poor people are to dumb to realize that and fall into the trap of debt.

So what are the alternative options? Live like a (well off) homeless person and bitch about all this bullshit on the internet of course!

There will be some sort of charger adaptor for units sold in the EU, I also predict all phones will come with some sort of adapter in the EU.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
So I qualified for the ATT settlement about the reduced speeds on the unlimited data plans. I got my check today for $12.09....

Reactions: highland145

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm working on gaining weight cause this New Year's I finally decided to do something about it after despising the way I look for years.

I've always been skinny but at 37 I shouldn't look like a fucking junior high nerd. I hate it so much I don't wear shorts in the summer anymore and last summer hardly ever even wore t-shirts; I wore long sleeves even in 80 degree weather just to cover up.

So after New Year's I started eating the calories I need to (4000-5000) and started working out. It was slow at first but I'm doing it regularly now and last night I weighted myself and I've gained 15 pounds since I started.

Only about half way from what I'd like to gain but it's a start! I'm pretty happy so far.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I had the same issue in my early 20's. I was never hungry so I hardly ate, and I just could not gain weight. I was like 110 lbs. Oddly enough working out helped for me and it gave me more appetite to eat more too.

Even now I'm not really a big eater, I find I can get away eating 1 meal per day. It's probably a bad habit, but I'm maintaining my weight so I'm ok with it. There's some people that even say it's good, so who knows. Health stuff is complicated and the science does not really seem to be established on what's good and not good for you.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm working on gaining weight cause this New Year's I finally decided to do something about it after despising the way I look for years.

I've always been skinny but at 37 I shouldn't look like a fucking junior high nerd. I hate it so much I don't wear shorts in the summer anymore and last summer hardly ever even wore t-shirts; I wore long sleeves even in 80 degree weather just to cover up.

So after New Year's I started eating the calories I need to (4000-5000) and started working out. It was slow at first but I'm doing it regularly now and last night I weighted myself and I've gained 15 pounds since I started.

Only about half way from what I'd like to gain but it's a start! I'm pretty happy so far.

I fucking hate people like you. I can just look at a donut and gain 5 unwanted pounds.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011

Jesus, that is a lot of calories.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Jesus, that is a lot of calories.
Yeah and it's fricking HARD to eat that many for someone like me who feels 2000 is PLENTY of calories for myself. I hate stuffing myself, I feel like I'm gonna puke. I'm a slow eater too. Thankfully I can make shakes that have like 2000 calories alone in them rofl (thanks esp. to Mass Gainer powder and extra virgin olive oil lol).
I fucking hate people like you. I can just look at a donut and gain 5 unwanted pounds.
Lol yeah I get that sometimes. Guess my body chemistry or makeup is responsible. Like I think I burn more calories than an average person, just sitting/idle. An ectomorph body type. I don't know if it's related but IMO my heart rate is frequently pretty high (tho not all the time); for instance when I weigh myself it's at night before bed and all I do is get up from the chair in the living room, walk over to bathroom, bend over and pick up scale and set it down, remove socks. My heart rate is always in the 90s when then weighing myself.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I can't gain weight either. I went a month without working out and I think I lost a pound or two.
Recording everything I ate was an eye opener (I use the MyFitnessPal mobile app). I wasn't eating as much as I thought.

If you eat 4000 or 5000 calories a day I bet you'll gain some weight.

Connor Grooms' book "Eating for Mass" first inspired me but I'm not following it super close (I didn't need to do it in just a month). His section on eating is the most important for those skinnies wanting to gain weight, IMO.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yeah and it's fricking HARD to eat that many for someone like me who feels 2000 is PLENTY of calories for myself. I hate stuffing myself, I feel like I'm gonna puke. I'm a slow eater too. Thankfully I can make shakes that have like 2000 calories alone in them rofl (thanks esp. to Mass Gainer powder and extra virgin olive oil lol). Lol yeah I get that sometimes. Guess my body chemistry or makeup is responsible. Like I think I burn more calories than an average person, just sitting/idle. An ectomorph body type. I don't know if it's related but IMO my heart rate is frequently pretty high (tho not all the time); for instance when I weigh myself it's at night before bed and all I do is get up from the chair in the living room, walk over to bathroom, bend over and pick up scale and set it down, remove socks. My heart rate is always in the 90s when then weighing myself.

When I was young, I could eat ANYTHING i wanted, but because I was so active, it burned off quickly. Nowadays, not so much.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
When I was young, I could eat ANYTHING i wanted, but because I was so active, it burned off quickly. Nowadays, not so much.
That's the way I was. Every single day I'd drink a minimum of 88oz regular soda, plus all the crap food I shoved in my face. My metabolism slowed, or something happened in my 30s, and now I'm 15# heavier from this winter on top of the 15# I'd like to lose anyway. I'm still active, but my body wants to keep all the calories it gets :^/

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
I think some discount clearance bulbs I planted way too late last year are actually growing this year!

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Manually added 1.125v soc voltage in bios and not had a cold boot problem since.Touches wood.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I thought by now (turned 37 in Jan.) I'd see some natural weight gain but it hasn't happened; before this I weighed the same as I did when graduating high school, maybe even a pound or two *less.*

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Got my morning pre-work mocha for free,then was able to get out of work early today.

And to continue the good news..my new pair of shoes(Soft Star Runamoc Primals in a custom 3-tone yellow/blue/grey scheme)...
They're arriving today as well.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My car is still in the shop so I traded in the rental car for a different one as a different rental company had lower prices this week. I got bumped to a Challenger. Vrooom, vrooom.