Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
I talked to my dad again (third time in three days totaling ~5 hrs.) I'm seeing him tomorrow. He had shut everyone out and I hadn't talked to him in ~18 yrs. He's 82 now and wants me to move into my granny's old condo which has been vacant for a long time so I can be closer (all So. Calif.). He's 82 and super healthy but popped his Achilles a few years back playing tennis, and he wants me to help him understand his Great Call (simplified Android) smartphone. I'm probably going to move over there.

He's proud of me and talks about gay people (actors, old friends, his neighbor - he suspects) like we deserve extra kindness. Sorry, this sounds egotistical but is what my dad said, "... he's really smart and nice too Brad, I think he must be gay." My dad cracks me up now. :)

If it is not too intrusive, can I ask why the 18 years ?

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
If it is not too intrusive, can I ask why the 18 years ?
Of course. He has this personality trait in which he tries very hard to control others' lives. He did that in such a horrible way with me, I ended up in a wheelchair (not his intention). To be honest I was afraid of him. He did similar things to everyone he knows and had been 100% alone for many years. We talked a lot about that and he sees his foible. My bro hasn't seen him for longer than I had, and we're all meeting there in a few hours. It's all cool now, and he's just happy to have his sons back.. :)

Reactions: Thebobo

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Of course. He has this personality trait in which he tries very hard to control others' lives. He did that in such a horrible way with me, I ended up in a wheelchair (not his intention). To be honest I was afraid of him. He did similar things to everyone he knows and had been 100% alone for many years. We talked a lot about that and he sees his foible. My bro hasn't seen him for longer than I had, and we're all meeting there in a few hours. It's all cool now, and he's just happy to have his sons back.. :)
Good luck! Hope the good will continues :^)

Reactions: bradly1101

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I finally got Coolcoin launched with the assistance of Perknose today! I wonder who's going to be the first person to get one of these shiny new reward tokens...

Reactions: Kaido

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Fixed my solar clothes dryer today!

IMG_20180422_094218.jpg

It's a little misshapen, but it'll work. Got squished by my tree when it came down. I cut out a section of really bent aluminum, and made a maple branch splice :^D Hand bent some other sections, and tied it together with epoxy coat tie wire(love this stuff. It's virtually valueless in the quantities I get, but it's one of my favorite things to find on job sites. Immensely useful).

Reactions: IronWing

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
@lxskllr that is one big tree.
For sure. I'm winding down for hot weather now. I want to get the site cleaned up, and I'll pick it back up in the fall. I'm still not finished "limbing" it. Some of the limbs have been 30"+ :^D

I've been thinking recently, I'm gonna miss this project when it's over. I'm getting a great workout, and as long as it isn't hot, it's fairly enjoyable. I think I would have liked forestry if I had gotten into it when I was younger. I think I'm too old now. Better to get your mistakes in when you're still young and durable. I might try to make it into a sideline though; craigslist type stuff. This could be that retirement job I wanted. I'm already getting to be "the guy with the saw", so I can get some practice before getting semi serious about it.

Feb 25, 2011
I've been emailing companies, local government offices, etc., trying to figure out where I can get well-filtered (no chloramines) water for my fish tank. I'm still looking for a "solution" (hahaha!) I've gotten nothing but helpful, polite responses.

It's like as soon as I say "aquarium" and ask about ammonia concentration, people go, "oh, he's not one of those flouride nutters, and he probably understands basic chemistry!" and they get happy.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Been having some problems with stress and anxiety. Got put on medication and I'm starting to feel better. I talked to my boss about taking a couple of weeks off soon and he was OK with it.

Got called into his office today. Turns out there are a bunch of systems at a customer in Australia that need software updates. They want to send me down there and it should only take two days, but they're willing to let me stay for up to ten days and will fully pay for my flights, hotel, and food.

Anyone have any suggestions for things to do around Sydney?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Been having some problems with stress and anxiety. Got put on medication and I'm starting to feel better. I talked to my boss about taking a couple of weeks off soon and he was OK with it.

Got called into his office today. Turns out there are a bunch of systems at a customer in Australia that need software updates. They want to send me down there and it should only take two days, but they're willing to let me stay for up to ten days and will fully pay for my flights, hotel, and food.

Excellent.

Stay out of the water. Stay out of the desert. Stay away from...well, Australia...:D

Reactions: snoopy7548

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Excellent.

Stay out of the water. Stay out of the desert. Stay away from...well, Australia...:D

I've been to Australia once but only saw cute koalas and kangaroos. I'm thinking of doing the following:

-Go to a museum
-Go to the botannical gardens
-Go to the zoo
-Maybe do a bridge climb (did that before)
-Visit the Blue Mountains (been there before)
-Take in a show or two at the Opera House
-Go hiking
-Lounge around by the hotel's pool
-Walk around the city for a day and eat anything that looks good

Should I get a rental car, or can I do all of those with public transportation?

To be 100% honest, I'm not the traveler type. This has me nervous and my stomach in knots, but I'll be OK. I just don't want to waste this opportunity.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Paging @Exterous , paging Exterous....

I'm not either but it sounds like a good trip. Don't forget to post pics.

Yay travel!

Shit - with 10 days you can do a lot more than stuff around Sydney. There's the Brondi to Bronte walk thats reachable from downtown by public bus which has plenty of places to swim. The Iceberg pool along the walk looks awesome. Sorry if you know this part already from your last trip by you can get to the Blue Mountains by train. We also did a kangaroo, wine, cheese and chocolate tour that picked up from near our Sydney hotel and loved it. Not sure if thats your thing but I got to touch a koala, pet a kangaroo and hold a python. To quote the ranger when the python started "hugging" my neck "Oi! You must have a very warm neck!"
Neat. Get it off me please.

If you don't mind a bit of extra flying (which would be well worth it IMO) could easily head to Melbourne and do the Great Ocean Road drive and hike the Grampians if you wanted. Or head up to Port Douglas, relax on the beach or snorkel\dive the Great Barrier Reef. We rented a car when we went and the driving was pretty easy. Not a fan of Red Spot rentals though - if you do rent a car I would not recommend them.