Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
15yo + window unit works in my shop. Haven't used it in years because I didn't care if it was hot. Sweat is good. Turned it on just because...70 now.

Reactions: lxskllr

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Got pulled over in Yosemite National Park today for going 57 in a 35 (on the highway, not through a campground or anything). Ranger gave me a verbal warning and gave my daughter a tour of their car and a nice junior ranger badge.

Thought for sure I was going to get a massive ticket.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Got pulled over in Yosemite National Park today for going 57 in a 35 (on the highest, not through a campground or anything). Ranger gave me a verbal warning and gave my daughter a tour of their car and a nice junior ranger badge.

Thought for sure I was going to get a massive ticket.

Getting a ticket in a National Park can hurt...it's a federal charge...with a federal magistrate, not a state or county court.

Reactions: Zorba

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I knew a park ranger who would carry pictures of the various speed limit signs in his park with him. When motorists claimed they didn’t see the reduced speed limit sign, he would pull out a picture and show it to them to aid in memory. I’m surprised no one shot him.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I knew a park ranger who would carry pictures of the various speed limit signs in his park with him. When motorists claimed they didn’t see the reduced speed limit sign, he would pull out a picture and show it to them to aid in memory. I’m surprised no one shot him.

I don't know why but I'm picturing something like Super Troopers style cop doing this and being all condescending about it and it's hilarious.

I can't remember who it was but I know someone that got stopped for speeding and they just happen to pull over right in front of the sign. Cop is like "do you know what the speed limit is here?" And the sign is right there lol.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
I found a Voodoo Ranger IPA at the very back of the fridge, right after sweeping and mopping the kitchen! I thought that there was no beer in the house (forgot to by any this weekend) and forgot that it was Sunday. Cut to the chase.... :)

Reactions: highland145

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Sweet did not realize my June vacation was already coming up. I only have to work 3 days then I'll be on vacation again lol. This time I need to actually start on the garage...

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yo, @lxskllr , I have a plumb. 2 actually but the 2nd is rusted pretty good. Belonged to my Gramps. He passed in '78.

Attachments

• 0531212001.jpg
    0531212001.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 14

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Very nice. I wouldn't discount the rusted one. They can clean up pretty good. If it's really thrashed, it'll still make a good root axe, so you can beat that up instead of your good stuff.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Very nice. I wouldn't discount the rusted one. They can clean up pretty good. If it's really thrashed, it'll still make a good root axe, so you can beat that up instead of your good stuff.
Well...I took a sidegrinder to the rust.😒

That is some serious metal since I can see part of the brand.

Can't buy the same, no matter how much $ you have.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I found this guy on my porch over the winter...

IMG_20210108_150931.jpg

I was moving wood on my porch, lifted a piece, and heard some screeching/hissing. I didn't immediately click as to what was going on. I went back for another piece and saw him. Ended up putting his piece of wood back, and a couple more for extra insulation, and left that spot alone the rest of the winter. I guess he did ok. He was gone when I checked a few weeks ago. I waited extra long cause I didn't know when they start moving again.

Reactions: highland145

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't see too many bats around here, so I'm not sure when they're really active, other than 'it's hot out'.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
We went and watched a movie at the theater. Usually not enough of a good thing to post about, but this was the first time we went to the movie theater in around 16 months because up until a few weeks ago, it was closed.

There weren't a whole lot of people there (maybe 15 other people in our particular movie,), so hopefully they can stay in business until the traffic increases as I really like going to this particular theater.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
As of Monday, my son is fully vaccinated....two weeks past his second Moderna vaccine, husband is fully vaccinated and I am waiting to see if I will need a booster this fall. I got Pfizer in December and January.

Also participating in the CANVAX study that is researching how cancer patients respond to the vaccines. My blood was negative for antibodies to the sars Covid 2 virus but positive for antibodies to the sars 2 spike protein from the vaccine. What’s very exciting is that my Oncologist at Mass General is the principal investigator for this study. Sorry but I love science :)

We are still masking, avoiding crowds and stores. I might want to go to a restaurant that offers outdoor dining. However, no public transport, no flying, I will mingle with other fully vaccinated people though. I try to keep the variants in mind, my hospital job & my cancer. I don’t want to infect others with a varient or get sick myself so caution is the name of the game

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My corporate stock is slowly going back up to pre covid levels meaning I'm getting some serious return. My current balance is sitting at 50k right now. :eek: That's the first world win.

Saving up to buy off grid property. Now for the first world problem... I can't seem to find any. There's just nothing on the market and when there is it sells super fast or it's too far. Hoping to find something within an hour at least it's semi realistic to do that drive to go there if I have a couple days off. Went to see a small one a while back that had a lake but it was over 2 hours so kind of far. Cost like 60 bucks in gas to go there and back.

Reactions: RearAdmiral