Rev Wright on Bill Moyers Journal (PBS)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Ads linking the Democratic candidates to Obama and Reverend Wright are now appearing in North Carolina and the Mississippi special House runoff election (MS-1). This is a R+10 district that has the potential to swing to the Democrats. The Democratic candidate finished first ahead of the Republican candidate there and was just under 1000 votes from capturing a majority and winning outright last week. Both parties are pumping hundreds of thousands into this seat. We will see if these ads linking Obama/Wright to the Democratic house/governor's candidates will have a negative effect on these Southern races (MS-1 and LA-6 where the Democrat has a very good chance).
People were arguing that Clinton was going to be poison on the downballot races but it could be that the Obama/Wright mess could be a bigger deal breaker.

The AP poll out today show Clinton ahead of McCain by 9 nationally while Obama leads by 2.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: daveymark
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
One of the main things I worry about Obama getting the nomination is what happens if he loses to the old white guy? What will that do to racial issues in this country? What will people like Wright be saying in their sermons then?

Obama has said that if he loses, it won't be because of race. I have to agree here. If he loses, it'll be because Rev. Wrong, to quote Bill Maher, "is a dick".

It seems as though each time the good reverend opens his mouth, fecal matter comes flying forth. Someone needs to tell him to shut his yap. Hard to do, I know, because he's a preacher, but still....he should take some kind of vacation hiatus (subsidized by Team Obama, of course) until mid-November.

Despite what obama supporters would like to think, Rev Wrong IS a legitimate issue (which Obama has stated himself) to many voters. If he continues to poop all over the place like this, there will be PLENTY of material to choose from for the repubs come the general election.

Hell, all the repubs have to do is replay the attack ads put forth during the dem primaries. They can even pawn it off as saying it's not even republicans saying these things.

It's almost like the SNL skit coming back, just that they had it wrong with Jesse and Al as the characters.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Perhaps this is the moment where the powers that be declare another Dean screamed and make sure nothing changes.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
If, as the good reverend contends, ?white people clap differently than black people,? how does Barack Obama clap?

On 2 and on 3. :cool:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Part 3
Part 4
[/quote]

Put up of the NAACP speech in OP. Best parts to watch are starting @ about 2:45 in clip 3. He was actually really entertaining and pretty funny at times. I can see why people go his church. Lot more thoughtful and entertaining than those douches like Joel Olsen and their saccharine sweet ministries.

I heard the Press Q&A didn't go so well, haven't watched it for myself yet, so at the worst a 2 for 3. Given what he was made out to be, his little foray has been a huge personal success. May play diff for Obama tho. Perhaps arrogance, but seems highly motivated to save his church and his life's work from becoming a national pariah. It seems to me he values this over Obama's candidacy if he was forced to chose. I think their fates are somewhat inseparable, so he better not be too careless w/ his actions and words. Def not a shrinking violet tho.

Still can't find this rapid racist black exclusionist bent. His reoccurring theme was "different, but not deficient" and "none is superior to the other." Maybe I missed the kill whitey, I'll keep looking. Did touch again how black communities need to treat women better and be more responsible to their families tho.

Noticed he plays a lot of the same themes as Obama of inclusion, togetherness and mutual understanding, if in a very brash and direct way. Its quite obvious he was a big influence on Obama.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Hafen
Part 3
Part 4
Put up of the NAACP speech in OP. Best parts to watch are starting @ about 2:45 in clip 3. He was actually really entertaining and pretty funny at times. I can see why people go his church. Lot more thoughtful and entertaining than those douches like Joel Olsen and their saccharine sweet ministries.

I heard the Press Q&A didn't go so well, haven't watched it for myself yet, so at the worst a 2 for 3. Given what he was made out to be, his little foray has been a huge personal success. May play diff for Obama tho. Perhaps arrogance, but seems highly motivated to save his church and his life's work from becoming a national pariah. It seems to me he values this over Obama's candidacy if he was forced to chose. I think their fates are somewhat inseparable, so he better not be too careless w/ his actions and words. Def not a shrinking violet tho.

Still can't find this rapid racist black exclusionist bent. His reoccurring theme was "different, but not deficient" and "none is superior to the other." Maybe I missed the kill whitey, I'll keep looking. Did touch again how black communities need to treat women better and be more responsible to their families tho.

Noticed he plays a lot of the same themes as Obama of inclusion, togetherness and mutual understanding, if in a very brash and direct way. Its quite obvious he was a big influence on Obama.

His "Black" focus is certainly not Racism, but is an attempt at empowerment and fixing the problems within the Black Community. He should be the Poster Boy for all those who always want various Communities/Groups to fix their own problems. I har that argument all the time concerning Muslims, although that is often used in a nonsensical way, such as putting the responsibility of American Muslims for the Actions of a minority of Muslims in the Middle East.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87
<tin foil hat>

Obama's pastor is trying to torpedo Obama so he can say "I told you so, they wouldnt elect a black man for president"

</tin foil hat>

I'm not sure about that but it's obvious that nobody can tell that guy anything. He needs to go away. It isn't just black Americans that are paying attention to him, it's the world. My original belief that he was a stubborn old ignorant man who couldn't be told anything is spot on.

If white preachers are the same, I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
<tin foil hat>

Obama's pastor is trying to torpedo Obama so he can say "I told you so, they wouldnt elect a black man for president"

</tin foil hat>

I'm not sure about that but it's obvious that nobody can tell that guy anything. He needs to go away. It isn't just black Americans that are paying attention to him, it's the world. My original belief that he was a stubborn old ignorant man who couldn't be told anything is spot on.

IDK, I've talked to several people in person, some committed conservatives voting for McCain, and all that saw a good length of the videos were highly impressed and surprised by Wright. I think he is quite aware who's paying attention.

Some funny sh!t:
White Priest Friend of Wright's Owning Fox News reporter over and over.

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007

I agree.
I almost feel like the guy is jealous of Obama. Like he hates the attention Obama is getting and wants it back on him?

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004

This guy speaks alot of truth. Why do people have such a hard time believing that America's shit DOES stink. I love America but I am not naive enough to think America doesn't lie, and do some shady shit. I just don't get it. I believe (call me a madman now ;)) if we get a serious investigation going against the Bush administration we will see all kinds of lies, coverups and shady shit that has been done.

I am sure many of you have heard the expression 'power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely'. What country/government in the world do you think has the most power? Something to think about. Once again I love America wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but I know America has done some ill stuff. One that loves America in spite of its ill deeds I would argue is MORE patriotic than someone loving it because they think it's perfect.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: Robor

Do you mean Obama supporters are blind in the same way some Clinton supporters? You know, the whole part about not accepting the fact that their candidate trails by enough in elected delegates and overall votes that they can not win the nomination without harming the (D)'s chances in the GE?

LOL, you've got the drama queen thing down pretty good.

If Obama was behind by such a slim margin would you be calling for him to bow out? Somehow I don't think so, but please continue being such a shill, I find it entertaining.

One of the main things I worry about Obama getting the nomination is what happens if he loses to the old white guy? What will that do to racial issues in this country? What will people like Wright be saying in their sermons then?

Oh the irony. Pot. Kettle. Black.

I guess answering any of the questions I posed was too hard? :p

Pot.Kettle.Black, indeed.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
<tin foil hat>

</tin foil hat>

well considering he spent 20 years with obama i think he feels burned that obama is suddenly doing a 180 in public when apparently he must have felt they were in agreement during their time together.

you just don't spend 20 years with that nut as a spiritual advisor if you have your head screwed on right.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
<tin foil hat>

</tin foil hat>

well considering he spent 20 years with obama i think he feels burned that obama is suddenly doing a 180 in public when apparently he must have felt they were in agreement during their time together.

you just don't spend 20 years with that nut as a spiritual advisor if you have your head screwed on right.

I think you are showing ignorance of what Wright was like for those 20 years, versus what is being seen lately and in unusual sound bites.

Obama has made it clear now that 'the man seen the last couple days is not the man he's known for 20 years'.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Craig234
<tin foil hat>

</tin foil hat>

I think you are showing ignorance of what Wright was like for those 20 years, versus what is being seen lately and in unusual sound bites.

Obama has made it clear now that 'the man seen the last couple days is not the man he's known for 20 years'.

which is nonsense. wrights been vocal and spewing this stuff for a long time. obamas sudden and politically convenient realization that he disagreed with wright is rather unbelievable. especially since he was ok with it for 20 years and exposing his children to it. you don't give sudden sound bytes of extremism or have associations with extremists out of the blue if you weren't rather extreme in the first place. right thinking people don't stay with spiritual advisers they vehemently disagree with for 20 years.

watch the fake in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl57E7UJno
fainting ladies in the front over and over.....
he's a flim flam man, do or say anything to get elected.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
which is nonsense. wrights been vocal and spewing this stuff for a long time. obamas sudden and politically convenient realization that he disagreed with wright is rather unbelievable. especially since he was ok with it for 20 years and exposing his children to it. you don't give sudden sound bytes of extremism or have associations with extremists out of the blue if you weren't rather extreme in the first place. right thinking people don't stay with spiritual advisers they vehemently disagree with for 20 years.

watch the fake in action

No, it's your paertisan blather and baseless speculation and accuration seen in post after post that's unbelievable.

You clearly aren't listening to the hundreds of posts and the many comments Obama has made.

He's explained what the ministry was about that he's been part of; he explained he had not been exposed to the controversial comments; he's now strongly parted from Wright's recent comments. You can't show any evidence of Obama sitting there during a speech about how the US is behind AIDS, showing Obama saying he agreed with that, showing Obama doing anything in office for many years along the lines of these controversial positions, so you need to stop the dishonest attacks.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
you clearly are just being a partisan apologist.

you wouldn't buy that kind of spiel if it were coming out of a republicans mouth. he parted when it was suddenly convenient to do so. its just revealing what he did when he thought no one was looking. his claims of ignorance during 20 years of a close personal relationship with this man ring false. the only thing dishonest here is obama and those who are apologists for his questionable past. the very fact that he didn't walk away or fight against such an extremist before it became politically convenient shows enough. no right thinking progressive would have stood by such an extremist. only a moral coward, a man without a spine, or someone sympathetic would just stand by let alone make him your personal spiritual advisor and expose your family to him. a so called progressive person should have higher standards than that for people. let alone someone who claims hes fit to be president.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
you clearly are just being a partisan apologist.

you wouldn't buy that kind of spiel if it were coming out of a republicans mouth. he parted when it was suddenly convenient to do so. its just revealing what he did when he thought no one was looking. his claims of ignorance during 20 years of a close personal relationship with this man ring false. the only thing dishonest here is obama and those who are apologists for his questionable past. the very fact that he didn't walk away or fight against such an extremist before it became politically convenient shows enough. no right thinking progressive would have stood by such an extremist. only a moral coward, a man without a spine, or someone sympathetic would just stand by let alone make him your personal spiritual advisor and expose your family to him. a so called progressive person should have higher standards than that for people. let alone someone who claims hes fit to be president.

You're wrong. I'd be *suspicious* if it were a Republican, and I had suspicions with Barack.

I'd object to your assumptions whether it's Barack or a Republican.

The problem you have on this is that your 'ring true' is the basis for your accusations that are baseless, and you disregard the facts inconvenient to your partisan imagination.

Frankly, Barack may be understating the relationship - but the lack of any evidence in Barack's history for things he says he never heard speaks far louder than your speculation.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I really wish the Obama haters could find something tangible and worthwhile to complain about. This whole act of being incensed over Wright's statements and attributing it to Obama makes them look like complete fools. Sure, they arrogantly dismiss any criticism concerning their faith being intertwined with our government, or Pat Robertson's political ties to actual presidents, but now that 'the shoe is on the other foot' the hypocrites are up in a froth.

Give it up guys, you're just making yourselves look bad.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Craig234
<tin foil hat>

</tin foil hat>

watch the fake in action

Hahaha I have heard about this. That is a lot of fainting.