Rev Wright on Bill Moyers Journal (PBS)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Here is another great quote by Wright
We cannot see how what we are doing is the same thing al-Qaeda is doing under a different color flag, calling on the name a different God to sanction and approve our murder and our mayhem!
Obama is doomed.

Right or wrong people will remember the sound bites and forget the 'context.'
Just ask John ?I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it.? Kerry if you don't believe me.

Wright is right. The only problem is the Democrats not pushing the truth as hard as they need to.

For example, our need to correct you mitelling the $87B story for what, the 20th time? That Bush was against the $87B before he was for it, and that Kerry had the right position?

As I've corrected you many times, the facts are that Bush wanted the money spent if and only if the money were not paid for with taxes, but he insisted it be borrowed spending.

Bush said he would veto the spending if it were not borrowed money.

Kerry's position was that he was for the spending, but wanted it paid for, not borrowed. However, he was for the spending either way.

The first vote was for the spending with funding, not borrowing; Bush threatened veto, Kerry voted yes. It lost, in borrow-happy Republican congress.

The second vote was for the spending with borrowed money. Kerry checked the votes, and it was going to pass, so he voted no to show his disagreement with the funding method.

He explained all this at the time, it was the right position (assuming you support the spending), and the Republicans ran a dishonest, misleading campaign about it.

The fact is, Bush was more willing to oppose the spending than Kerry, he flip-flopped more than Kerry, and they hid this in the dishonest campaigning.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong
Originally posted by: tagej
Sorry OP, no matter how many fluff pieces anyone does trying to "humanize" him and show his strengths etc, he is still a racist and a cook spewing forth theories about how the US government created AIDS etc etc. He's a racist nut, and Obama's connection to him will cost him dearly. I personally know several people who were considering voting for him who changed their minds based on Wright, and I'm certain they will not be swayed the other way again. Obama= toast.

I also know several people who loved Obama before, and now refuse to even consider voting for him because of the Wright thing. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but in the whole political/media spin, people do judge candidates on relatively trivial stuff like this, and Wright's comments definitely hurt Obama's chances...whether his supporters here or elsewhere want to admit it or not, its just a sad fact.

Obama supporters on this forum are blind to any and all weaknesses in Obama's campaign. They've explained away every criticism, justified every misspoken word, rationalized every unsavory vote or position he's ever taken. The man is Jesus to them. It is definitely sad when you cannot admit any faults at all in your candidate.

Well if we're blind, then you guys must be deaf since we've repeated the same thing over and over without you people figuring it out (although since this is the Internet, I suppose that would make you blind as well, but whatever). Your attempts to paint Obama and Wright as the exact same person aren't very convincing; ProfJohn's "predictions" as to what the average person will or won't believe sound pretty desperate to me, for example.

Wright might say some things I don't agree with, but I've also listened to a lot of things Obama has said, and here's the key, nothing he has said leads me to believe that HE believes in the stuff Wright says that I don't like. Whatever their association, it seems obvious that Obama (like most people worth anything) thinks for himself...and since I'm voting for Obama and not Wright, as long as Obama holds positions I agree with, I can't possibly see why I should care what some other guy has or hasn't said. I think Wright was taken out of context in some cases, but it doesn't really matter one way or the other. Second hand musings about how Wright's views might influence Obama doesn't seem to stack up real well against Obama's ACTUAL views.

And the funny part is that you guys KNOW this is a bullshit issue. ProfJohn has jettisoned any pretense of actually caring about the issue and has flat out admitted that beating the Wright situation to death is just a political strategy worth trying...and the rest of you guys are pretty close behind him.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
The more I read about about Obama the more I'd like him to be president...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
we will never be able to get around some peoples egos in this place. The republicans are looked upon as the absolute lowest, wretched, vile humans in this country by a growing number of people. To be one of those would be to huddle together in fear, lashing out at any and all who even gaze upon them. Poor smeagol.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Sorry OP, no matter how many fluff pieces anyone does trying to "humanize" him and show his strengths etc, he is still a racist and a cook spewing forth theories about how the US government created AIDS etc etc. He's a racist nut, and Obama's connection to him will cost him dearly. I personally know several people who were considering voting for him who changed their minds based on Wright, and I'm certain they will not be swayed the other way again. Obama= toast.

I also know several people who loved Obama before, and now refuse to even consider voting for him because of the Wright thing. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but in the whole political/media spin, people do judge candidates on relatively trivial stuff like this, and Wright's comments definitely hurt Obama's chances...whether his supporters here or elsewhere want to admit it or not, its just a sad fact.

Obama supporters on this forum are blind to any and all weaknesses in Obama's campaign. They've explained away every criticism, justified every misspoken word, rationalized every unsavory vote or position he's ever taken. The man is Jesus to them. It is definitely sad when you cannot admit any faults at all in your candidate.

I'm not even saying the Wright thing WAS a weakness, unsavory position, or fault. I'm just saying that a huge percentage of voters WILL hold it against him, and therefore it has indeed hurt his chances. And before anyone tries to convince me otherwise, they should just consider the various people they know at work, in their family, at the local bar/church/gas station, etc., (basically anywhere but the local university), and if they live in the same country I do, they'll realize its the sad truth.

There are many people (veterans, military, police, seniors, etc.) who simply WILL NOT look beyond "God d--- America", and WILL NOT vote for anyone even remotely linked to such a statement. Period. I'm not making a value judgement, just stating what I know is true, right or wrong.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I'm not even saying the Wright thing WAS a weakness, unsavory position, or fault. I'm just saying that a huge percentage of voters WILL hold it against him, and therefore it has indeed hurt his chances. And before anyone tries to convince me otherwise, they should just consider the various people they know at work, in their family, at the local bar/church/gas station, etc., (basically anywhere but the local university), and if they live in the same country I do, they'll realize its the sad truth.

There are many people (veterans, military, police, seniors, etc.) who simply WILL NOT look beyond "God d--- America", and WILL NOT vote for anyone even remotely linked to such a statement. Period. I'm not making a value judgement, just stating what I know is true, right or wrong.

Well I'm not sure veterans, military, police, seniors, etc are as stupid or gullible as you seem to think...although I will agree that there are plenty of stupid people in this country (I just don't think they have a common profession), but the real questions is, how many of them were going to vote for Obama anyways? Politics needs some perspective; people go apeshit every time a candidate is perceived as losing support for some group, apparently without remembering that almost every single President we've ever had was election with close to half of the population thinking somebody else was right for the job.

In fact, I think this has been a problem for Democrats for some time now...trying to get everyone to like you doesn't work, the important thing is to get ENOUGH people to like you. Look at Bush in 2004, he basically said "fuck you" to a huge percentage of the population on a regular basis, but he managed to convince just enough people that he was a good President that he beat Kerry.

In Obama's case, from what I can see from various people I know, the folks who have been "convinced" by Wright that Obama is no good weren't going to vote for him in the first place. A dyed in the wool Republican who would vote for Stalin if he had an (R) next to his name saying he's not going to vote for Obama because of Wright isn't worth much, that might be the latest reason, but it wasn't like Obama had his support to begin with.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I think you have a point, and that we all have a challenge to try to see the American people better informed, a battle against bad mainstream media, corporate campaign financing etc.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Well I'm not sure veterans, military, police, seniors, etc are as stupid or gullible as you seem to think...

I don't think they're stupid or gullible, and I didn't say so (you did). Just because their opinion might not be what you or someone else wants to hear doesn't make it "stupid". And the only reason I used those specific examples is because that's exactly who I heard say "I'll never vote for him now" after the "God d--- America" statement: several military types (although they were all officers rather than enlisted, so its not representative of the entire military), 3 cops, and multiple old folks (some of whom were Vietnam vets), who tend to take offense at anything that can remotely be construed as insulting to America.

Again, I'm not arguing against Obama here. I definitely prefer him to Hillary or Bush, and I recognize that he has positively energized people like no other political candidate in my entire lifetime. I'm just saying that, based on the various kinds of people we all know in this country, that Wright's comments have and will hurt him, period. In a reality-TV, media-whore country during an election, things like "God d---- America", mistresses, and blowjobs destory entire campaigns. They turned on Howard Dean over an excited scream for f@ck's sake!

If you want to believe otherwise, fine, and I actually wish you were right! :) But IMO that's either wishful thinking, or you've never watched Fox News.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

I don't think they're stupid or gullible, and I didn't say so (you did). Just because their opinion might not be what you or someone else wants to hear doesn't make it "stupid". And the only reason I used those specific examples is because that's exactly who I heard say "I'll never vote for him now" after the "God d--- America" statement: several military types (although they were all officers rather than enlisted, so its not representative of the entire military), 3 cops, and multiple old folks (some of whom were Vietnam vets), who tend to take offense at anything that can remotely be construed as insulting to America.

honestly, these people are part of the problem because they don't care to understand the larger issues that these statements were taken from. I would also argue that this kind of knee jerk reaction to things we don't understand or things we misunderstand played a huge part in getting us to where we are today.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Sorry but Rev. Asshat can say whatever he wants now to cover his ass but he's been preaching hate for over 20 years. His sermons of hate have been taped and sold to publicize his views. If it only takes an one hour interview to brainwash yourself, that's sad.

'God Damn America!'

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Sorry but Rev. Asshat can say whatever he wants now to cover his ass but he's been preaching hate for over 20 years. His sermons of hate have been taped and sold to publicize his views. If it only takes an one hour interview to brainwash yourself, that's sad.

'God Damn America!'

What's sad is that it only took a five-second soundbite to brainwash you ;)

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004

'God Damn America!'

Proof that he has been preaching "hate" for 20 years please. Somehow I don't think you had been going to his church for 20 years to vouch for that. See this is the problem you see a couple of clips and extrapolate it to that is all he said every Sunday. :disgust:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Well I'm not sure veterans, military, police, seniors, etc are as stupid or gullible as you seem to think...

You're right, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth...but I tend to think pretty poorly of the intelligence of ANYONE who takes a position based on a sound bite.
Again, I'm not arguing against Obama here. I definitely prefer him to Hillary or Bush, and I recognize that he has positively energized people like no other political candidate in my entire lifetime. I'm just saying that, based on the various kinds of people we all know in this country, that Wright's comments have and will hurt him, period. In a reality-TV, media-whore country during an election, things like "God d---- America", mistresses, and blowjobs destory entire campaigns. They turned on Howard Dean over an excited scream for f@ck's sake!

If you want to believe otherwise, fine, and I actually wish you were right! :) But IMO that's either wishful thinking, or you've never watched Fox News.

I see what you're saying, but while I HAVE watched Fox News enough to see your point, I'm not sure that's the crowd Obama should be focusing on. Most of those people wouldn't vote for Obama anyways.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
We cannot see how what we are doing is the same thing al-Qaeda is doing under a different color flag, calling on the name a different God to sanction and approve our murder and our mayhem!
Obama is doomed.

Just ask John ?I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it.? Kerry if you don't believe me.

Yes, sound bites and comments taken out of context.

Personally, I don't give a damn about Wright, or Hage for that matter. (I didn't even know who Hegee was until you people started talking about him, which reminds me - you libs must make it a hobby to find nutty preachers that most of us - 99% of America - couldn't care less about.)

But this Wright fellow is Obama's worst nightmare. While I personally couldn't care less, it's obvious some do; even if it moves the general election only a few points that's likely to be important.

I tuned in a local talk show when the Wright thing was at it's apex. Mind you this show is located in the county next to me, and is as Dem as my county is Repub. My gawd, so many callers were so concerned about this matter. I think it's hurt Obama in the primary, and will do so in the general election too.

My take on Wright is that he is arrogant, selfish and foolish.

His words were taken of context in the soundbites of "G*d D*mn America" etc? Of course, but the idiot can't see that that is going to happen again with his comments here? How foolish and arrogant. He thinks he can get away from this interview without leaving ammo behind for Obama's opponents. Not a chance.

So he was hurt by the unflattering & unfair portrait of him in the first "soundbite" piece? Big F'ing deal. He needed to lay low and wait until after the primary or general election until defending himself. But no, he had to do it now. All this IMO is bringing the whole matter back to the limelight when Obama needs to move on. How selfish.

If, and it's still a big "IF", Obama somehow doesn't win the general election it will be Wright's fault. How ironic that a black preacher espousing how whitey holds back the black man and oppresses him is responsible for the defeat of the first serious black candidate. He preaches empowerment of the black man, but is responsible for the exact opposite. This man's life work will end up being one huge negative for his fellow black neighbors.

And just to think, many have worried that Obama may be assasinated by some white racist. The assasin might to turn out to be a black preacher, and it was Obama's political career that was murdered.

He needs to stfu and stay out of politics.

Fern

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Wow, you three are quite clueless on this subject. Wright is not "Racist" at all. Watch the interview.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
You're right, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth...but I tend to think pretty poorly of the intelligence of ANYONE who takes a position based on a sound bite.

I see what you're saying, but while I HAVE watched Fox News enough to see your point, I'm not sure that's the crowd Obama should be focusing on. Most of those people wouldn't vote for Obama anyways.

While I agree with your first sentence, sadly every election is won and lost on nothing but cheap sound bites. Maybe I'm oversimplifying a bit...but just a bit. :p

Your second sentence is of course the missing piece of my theoretical puzzle. I see what you're saying; if they weren't going to vote for him in the first place, then no real damage was done. Only one of the people I mentioned was known to me as an Obama supporter and changed his mind specifically because of Rev. Wright, so I extrapolated the rest based on that. I didn't ask the others...

Sorry, this election is making me nervous. :) I just want it to be over before Bush decides to nuke Iran, Syria, and "Old Europe".

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

'God Damn America!'

Caveman was NEVER going to vote for Obama, and his focus on what Wright said - whether in or out of context - is just a smokescreen.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

'God Damn America!'

Caveman was NEVER going to vote for Obama, and his focus on what Wright said - whether in or out of context - is just a smokescreen.

My favorite term is "Hall pass"

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Sorry, this election is making me nervous. :) I just want it to be over before Bush decides to nuke Iran, Syria, and "Old Europe".

I can definitely sympathize. Plus as a Democrat, I know that my party has an unparalleled ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The 2006 Republican-whomping was a hopeful sign, but for every 2006, there seems to be a 2004 to go along with it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Those Americans whose self hate has taken the form of substituting real self respect for identification with flag and country will see evil in R. Wright because they will feel their self hate projected back at them through him. This is how self hate makes people morons.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Obama is doomed.

Yes, sound bites and comments taken out of context.

Personally, I don't give a damn about Wright, or Hage for that matter. (I didn't even know who Hegee was until you people started talking about him, which reminds me - you libs must make it a hobby to find nutty preachers that most of us - 99% of America - couldn't care less about.)

But this Wright fellow is Obama's worst nightmare. While I personally couldn't care less, it's obvious some do; even if it moves the general election only a few points that's likely to be important.

I tuned in a local talk show when the Wright thing was at it's apex. Mind you this show is located in the county next to me, and is as Dem as my county is Repub. My gawd, so many callers were so concerned about this matter. I think it's hurt Obama in the primary, and will do so in the general election too.

My take on Wright is that he is arrogant, selfish and foolish.

His words were taken of context in the soundbites of "G*d D*mn America" etc? Of course, but the idiot can't see that that is going to happen again with his comments here? How foolish and arrogant. He thinks he can get away from this interview without leaving ammo behind for Obama's opponents. Not a chance.

So he was hurt by the unflattering & unfair portrait of him in the first "soundbite" piece? Big F'ing deal. He needed to lay low and wait until after the primary or general election until defending himself. But no, he had to do it now. All this IMO is bringing the whole matter back to the limelight when Obama needs to move on. How selfish.

If, and it's still a big "IF", Obama somehow doesn't win the general election it will be Wright's fault. How ironic that a black preacher espousing how whitey holds back the black man and oppresses him is responsible for the defeat of the first serious black candidate. He preaches empowerment of the black man, but is responsible for the exact opposite. This man's life work will end up being one huge negative for his fellow black neighbors.

And just to think, many have worried that Obama may be assasinated by some white racist. The assasin might to turn out to be a black preacher, and it was Obama's political career that was murdered.

He needs to stfu and stay out of politics.

Fern

Nothing ironic about it - it's the anti-Obama voters being ignorant and unreasonably demanding that Obama not give them anything the Republican campaign liars can twist.

They will always have something to twist - the problem is the voters, not the candidates or Wright. Whether it's Willie Horton, or Gore 'inventing the internet', or Kerry lying about his war medals, or for that matter John McCain having a black child out of wedlock when he was the target, there will always be something. The voters can get their act together or they can vote badly again, but screw 'em as far as I'm concerned when it comes to trying to appease the irrational. Wright is fine, and that's that. They can vote how they like.

P.S. On Hagee you missed the point. The same people who are so 'concerned' about Wright are not concerned about the far worse man whose endorsement McCain sought.

It's pointing out the ignorance, the hypocrisy, the playing politics, the dishonesty of the Wright issue by those people, and you can not care less about those things.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Wow, right on the money. I would give Wright a cabinet position.

We should throw the separation of church and state out the window. If Wright can be a key issue in the primaries, I say let the guy start soliciting votes for Obama during sermons.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
If Hillary wins Indiana, she will get the nomination. Mark my word, you heard it here first.

Edit: BTW, I'm basing my conclusion on WSJ's editorials/columns. WSJ's various op-ed's recently started focusing on Clintons. And we know who own's WSJ as well as Fox.