Rev Wright on Bill Moyers Journal (PBS)

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Linky
Video

Long interview w/ Wright talking about the Black Value System, Africanism, Christianty, his Church, the soundbites, and Obama's candidacy.

Awesome interview which really humanizes the man, and provides context to the "controversial" comments and ministry he has made.

I walked away with a tremendous respect for him. I don't agree with him on everything, but he is an obvious deep thinker and intellectual man.

Factoids:

-Marine for 6yrs.
-Served as a pulmonary cardiologist (need to check this for precise training)
-Assisted in heart surgery on President Johnson. (Strange, why would the gov't let a white-hating, America-hating angry black man operate on the Commander in Chief? ;) ... )

[IMO]
After watching this, and seeing the line the RNC is going to take in the fall w/ race-baiting ads, I think Obama and the Dems should put Wright out as much as possible. He is clearly not the man caricatured on Fox, and quite capable of defending himself and discussing a lot of common sense. Would also aid in white's better understanding of black religious culture and help stem much of the white fear and white guilt fueling the questions over Wright and Obama (to a lesser extent.) [/IMO]

Updates:

NAACP Speech Vid Links:

Part 1 of 4
(WTF w/ the Fox streamer at the bottom...looks like police tape lol)
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
In other words, it reflects well on Obama that he has a relationship with this impressive man, in contrast to McCain's pandering to the same primitive, bigoted groups that he called 'agents of intolerance' before he decided he had to pander to them, and it reflects poorly yet again on the right to trash this man, instead of honest campaigning.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
oh please, this was nothing more than PBS' attempt to turn the negative tide of opinion on Wright.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Craig... I am sure these 'bigoted' people you talk too also come across as impressive in the right context. You don't become a Hagee or a Robertson without some significant level of talent.

And let's not forget the basic fact that the left likes to take them out of context and attack them in the same way the right has been going after Wright.

At the end of the day I expect the Wright affair will be a very small moment in a larger campaign. But it could end up being similar to Kerry walking out on stage and declaring that he is 'ready for duty' and saluting the crowd. It wasn't a significant moment, but it was enough to make people go 'what is he thinking' and when his war record and actions after the war came to light people really started to question whether they wanted Kerry as their President.

In the end people will look at Wright, Ayers, his wives comments, the flag pin thing and it will make them uneasy about voting for Obama. Then they will look at a very electable John McCain and may decide that they 'trust' McCain in a way they don't trust Obama.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
oh please, this was nothing more than PBS' attempt to turn the negative tide of opinion on Wright.

By giving him 1hr to talk publicly? Oh the humanity! Yes they were trying to enlighten the controversy, but its not a fluffer piece, but I'm sure you already knew that as you already watched the whole hr.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
In other words, it reflects well on Obama that he has a relationship with this impressive man, in contrast to McCain's pandering to the same primitive, bigoted groups that he called 'agents of intolerance' before he decided he had to pander to them, and it reflects poorly yet again on the right to trash this man, instead of honest campaigning.

I think it reflects poorly on BOTH candidates that they have a token crackpot spiritual mascot!

And please don't try to act like one is "intolerant" and the other is not; I heard what the man said, and he is as intolerant and bigoted as McCain's favorite preacher, and/or any other religious nutjob. Its supposed to matter to me that one racist is black and one is white? Why?

Note to all candidates: I'm not interested in what your damn pastor thinks; this isn't the Middle East, so leave your mystical friend in the Jedi robe out of the secular politics.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
watching now. Its a pretty interesting discussion.

Sorry hes not on FOX for some of you, i know how pbs tends to slant the issues :)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong
I think it reflects poorly on BOTH candidates that they have a token crackpot spiritual mascot!
That sounds great, except Hagee or Robertson aren't really McCain 'mascots' they are people who endorsed McCain and who McCain has allied with because of it.

In reality McCain is a secularist and not prone to religious leanings. In other words, there will be no 'compassionate conservatism' coming from McCain.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Interesting. The second part was where the good stuff was at. I think coming from a non religious person that more people should view this and come to grip with the message he is trying to get out.

It's a start.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
That sounds great, except Hagee or Robertson aren't really McCain 'mascots' they are people who endorsed McCain and who McCain has allied with because of it.

In reality McCain is a secularist and not prone to religious leanings. In other words, there will be no 'compassionate conservatism' coming from McCain.

I don't give a shit what you want to defend. Hagee is a disgrace to america...

If Hagee was on some sort of documentary I would have never watched it. I can relate to Wright he is way more intelligent then Hagee could ever be....

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

For a start, Wright doesn't use dopey drawing of Ligers to demonstrate his point. To be fair I watched several long clips of his sermons that I could find, and I can't say they were particularly "intellectual" on any level.

Question is then why would McCain praise this guy and his work? Its obvious pure political pandering, McCain supporters are admitting so, but I can hardly respect him for it. I could respect someone I disagreed with if they really believed their thoughts and pondered deeply on them.

McCain is just giving handjobs to milk a few fundie votes, and he's a smaller man for it. I was for McCain in 2000, but the 2008 McCain is shaping up to be a real disappointment and flipflopper, and a shade of his more courageous past.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

I think I read somewhere that McCain has been going to the same church in Phoenix for the last 20 years and has yet to accept Jesus in his heart.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: OrByte

I think I read somewhere that McCain has been going to the same church in Phoenix for the last 20 years and has yet to accept Jesus in his heart.
If that's true, he's got a one-way ticket to hell, courtesy of Hagee.

How can we allow a heathen to be our leader?

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Heh, you people really gonna take a pre-scripted interview, something Wright knows people is gonna be watching, and make a judgment base on that?

Well, I guess when you have made up your mind to support Obama, you'd accept anything that make him look good, or not as bad.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: rchiu
Heh, you people really gonna take a pre-scripted interview, something Wright knows people is gonna be watching, and make a judgment base on that?

Well, I guess when you have made up your mind to support Obama, you'd accept anything that make him look good, or not as bad.

Yes, brilliant insight. Its a far greater sign of enlightenment to watched pre-filtered, pre-packaged, commercially and politically engineered snip-its of contrived outrage repeatedly hammered into my brain and call it learning. Fast food Media at its finest.

Interwebbers seem to often confuse cynicism with intelligence.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This was a very good Interview. Not only does Wright address all the issues brought against him, but they show extended video clips where all these soundbites come from. It is quite clear that his words have been misrepresented.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

For once, Craig, we agree.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Hafen

Yes, brilliant insight. Its a far greater sign of enlightenment to watched pre-filtered, pre-packaged, commercially and politically engineered snip-its of contrived outrage repeatedly hammered into my brain and call it learning. Fast food Media at its finest.

I didn't make my judgment based on sound bites or fast food media. I made my judgment based on the fact that Obama himself didn't even defend Wright and his view. But hey, you must know more then Obama himself after watching this interview and see nothing with Wright and his view.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Hafen

I didn't make my judgment based on sound bites or fast food media. I made my judgment based on the fact that Obama himself didn't even defend Wright and his view. But hey, you must know more then Obama himself after watching this interview and see nothing with Wright and his view.

His view? Which view is that and why does he only have one?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Well, dishonest right-winger, what are the many one hour similar episodes on this same show given to radical right-wingers? PBS' attempt to turn the negative tide of opinion on them?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Craig... I am sure these 'bigoted' people you talk too also come across as impressive in the right context. You don't become a Hagee or a Robertson without some significant level of talent.

I think you need to look at the whole picture. With a Hagee or Robertson, they have some con man talent, and I can show you strong evidence of major financial wrongdoing, extremely nutty opinions they express, and hate-filled messages of bigotry upon which they build their base.

With a Wright, we won't see any of the same financial wrongdoing, we'll see a history of service every honest person I've seen on either side say is impressive.

For Robertson, we'll see pictures of an expensive plane his congregation bought for sending aid to Africa - which was reportedly used for exactly one flight, photos taken, to do that on its way over, and then devoted to his mining business after that. For Hagee, you'll see non-profit income of over a million dollars in violation of the law that non-profits cannot be used for personal gain (but we know how the US Attorneys are directed to behave in this administration), you will see his family controlling 3 of 4 seats on the non-profit.

You need to look at the larger picture on these people, I agree - talent, and wrongdoing.

And let's not forget the basic fact that the left likes to take them out of context and attack them in the same way the right has been going after Wright.

Let's put it to the test, PJ.

You back up your claim with the facts. Show me the left's taking those two out of context, prove your point - I don't think you can, and we'll see if you try or are silent.

I'll then do the same, showing examples how the right took Wright out of context.

At the end of the day I expect the Wright affair will be a very small moment in a larger campaign. But it could end up being similar to Kerry walking out on stage and declaring that he is 'ready for duty' and saluting the crowd. It wasn't a significant moment, but it was enough to make people go 'what is he thinking' and when his war record and actions after the war came to light people really started to question whether they wanted Kerry as their President.

Your revisionist history is appalling. The lies told about Kerry were wrong. It wasn't his history that affected opinion, it was lies, and you have no business defending the lies.

In the end people will look at Wright, Ayers, his wives comments, the flag pin thing and it will make them uneasy about voting for Obama. Then they will look at a very electable John McCain and may decide that they 'trust' McCain in a way they don't trust Obama.

You might be right that some people will irrationally react negatively to the Obama, and ignore the far worse corresponding facts about McCain, but that doesn't say much.

McCain has given people incredibly more reason to distrust him than Obama has; if you are right, the reasons are, IMO, racism and succumbing to the lies of right-wing propaganda.

McCain's record is atrocious regarding his dishonesty, his 'flip-flopping', his pandering.

Just today a story came out that he has reversed his position in just late November that the Army field manual for interrogation was adequate for all US interrogations, with its banning of waterboarding, and he specifically said that not waterboarding was a matter of US values; today, he reversed that position and voted against a bill which would have restricted all agencies to the techniques in that manual, removing one of the few areas some though he had principles on.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

That's not honest. McCain did not admit it until Hagee's staff announced it, but McCain *approached Hagee asking for the endorsement*.

McCain made a point to say how proud he is to have the endorsement - he has made Hagee his 'mascot', and not renounced Hagee's wrongs, from financial to his hate speech against gays to his statements that Katrina was divine to punish America for not discriminating yet more against gays, the way Obama did disagree with Wright on issues. The only statements McCain has objected to is Hagee's attacks on the Catholic Church, which Hagee lied about.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Well, dishonest right-winger, what are the many one hour similar episodes on this same show given to radical right-wingers? PBS' attempt to turn the negative tide of opinion on them?

They planned this 21 years in advance... ;)