Reuse thermal compound?

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I'm replacing my MB with an identicle one. Can I reuse the thermal paste, just pull the CPU off and stick all together on the new MB?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If the paste doesn't get dirty with dust or anything then it will be fine. If it's dirty at all, best practice is to reapply.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
You shouldn't have that much spread on your surfaces to reuse :p
- apply it thinly!

and i would personlly not reuse it; especially if it was "old" .. some paste tends to dry out .. and it is SO cheap, it is worth having an extra tube
- watch your temps; if you don't OC is is probably not critical to reuse it

Dodger1

Jan 30, 2009
Originally posted by: apoppin
You shouldn't have that much spread on your surfaces to reuse :p
- apply it thinly!

and i would personlly not reuse it; especially if it was "old" .. some paste tends to dry out .. and it is SO cheap, it is worth having an extra tube
- watch your temps; if you don't OC is is probably not critical to reuse it

1+

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ummm...

no, reapply.

Dont reuse.

Each time you pull that sink off after its been used the tim had a cure time which u ate into.

If it cured partially and you placed a new sink on top you will get micro bubble areas.

So in short, no, always reapply after you pulled the sink off.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've re-used AMD heatpipe heatsinks that had the thermal paste pre-applied. There's usually a generous amount, and if I'm moving the same CPU+heatsink combo to another board, I don't bother to reapply as long as there is enough. (Edit: This is in cases in which I was just running the CPU at stock. If I planned big overclocks, I might re-apply just to be safe.)

OTOH, if I was using an Intel heatsink with the pre-applied paste, or using AS5, I would always clean the surface and re-apply.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
AS5 degrades over time, anyway.

You can re-use diamond thermal paste, but I recommend applying a small amount of regular silicon-grease to it, because the commercial stuff dries out a bit.

Frankly, I just wouldn't do it -- even with diamond paste. Better to clean it all with isopropyl and apply new paste.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: BonzaiDuck
AS5 degrades over time, anyway.
Not nearly as fast as plain white paste/grease. That stuff dries out in like a year or two, and then it turns hard like a rock, and it's impossible to remove from the processor.

OTOH, I've never had that problem with AS5.