[Retired] The LCD Thread

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Thank you, xtknight!

You have been most helpful. :)

I am sure that the HP W2207 is the right choice for my needs. It will be the same or better in terms of colors and brightness/contrast than the VX2025wm that I am "borrowing" now, correct? The dot pitch will obviously be an upgrade 20" -> 22" (both at 1680x1050).

(By "DVI/HDMI" I meant either, not both -- sorry to make extra work for you.)

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: nullpointerus
Thank you, xtknight!

I am sure that the HP W2207 is the right choice for my needs. It will be the same or better in terms of colors and brightness/contrast than the VX2025wm that I am "borrowing" now, correct? The dot pitch will obviously be an upgrade 20" -> 22" (both at 1680x1050).

Well, the VX2025WM is a true 8-bit display with wide viewing angles.

The HP w2207 will be a little different. It won't quite have quite the same color accuracy or detail in some cases, but it will still have very vibrant colors due to contrast and the glossy screen. I think you will be happy with it. But yes, viewing angles are a potential concern. Response time should be fine.

redlinez33

Nov 11, 2007
Well since I guess I will be getting the HP W2207, I am sortof worried about the stand its on. It looks like it uses a similar type of hinge to the Samsung 970P that I used to have, and that was a complete failure..... and with HPs 1 year warranty, I guess I should buy some extended warranty with my purchase.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: DoctorM
Again is there a link to an NEC clearance store, my Googling turns up nothing.

Um, sorry, I don't remember. May have been NEC-Mitsubishi only. It was some bastardization of the word 'clearance' like recertified, refurbished or something else like that.

Originally posted by: redlinez33
Well since I guess I will be getting the HP W2207, I am sortof worried about the stand its on. It looks like it uses a similar type of hinge to the Samsung 970P that I used to have, and that was a complete failure..... and with HPs 1 year warranty, I guess I should buy some extended warranty with my purchase.

I guess that is a good idea.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: DoctorM
Again is there a link to an NEC clearance store, my Googling turns up nothing.

I sent you a PM w/ link for $450 open box unit.

(At least, I think that's a good price because retail seems to be more like $600.)

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: xtknight
Originally posted by: nullpointerus
Thank you, xtknight!

Well, the VX2025WM is a true 8-bit display with wide viewing angles.

The HP w2207 will be a little different. It won't quite have quite the same color accuracy or detail in some cases, but it will still have very vibrant colors due to contrast and the glossy screen. I think you will be happy with it. But yes, viewing angles are a potential concern. Response time should be fine.

Really? I thought the VX2025wm was quite grainy.

Maybe I am confusing the terminology, but, compared to my old Avidav 17" LCD, the pixels look so "grainy" that I kept noticing how bad my desktop wallpaper looked. By "grainy" I mean that each pixel seems to have a subtle, wierd rainbow-colored effect around it that makes areas of any solid color seem "textured" instead of a solid color.

I assumed this was normal for that generation of LCD displays.

(Note: DVI connection, recommended refresh rate, all DV "enhancement" modes OFF)

Whatever the problem is, I'd like to eliminate it with this upgrade.

davesaudio

Oct 24, 2000
varta1.com

I need a new monitor for Christmas, but I cannot find what I have been looking for.

(Did monitor prices rise substantially since this summer?)

Not really. They have fallen by a slight amount since August.

DisplaySearch: LCD Monitor

Seems odd that one could get 19wides in the summer for $140ish
but now during this festive season vendors are hanging tough either side of the $190s
No savings on smaller monitors either,
smells funny to me...
Dave

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: davesaudio

I need a new monitor for Christmas, but I cannot find what I have been looking for.

(Did monitor prices rise substantially since this summer?)

Not really. They have fallen by a slight amount since August.

DisplaySearch: LCD Monitor

Seems odd that one could get 19wides in the summer for $140ish
but now during this festive season vendors are hanging tough either side of the $190s
No savings on smaller monitors either,
smells funny to me...
Dave

I should mention these are LCD monitor TFT panel costs, not the end device. I actually didn't realize that at first, either. Apparently panel prices have been stagnant.

newschool

Jun 20, 2007
Originally posted by: newschool
What you guys think of the new 19" LG ?

http://www.lge.com/products/mo...etail/l1972h_1_6.jhtml

I think this is the one I am looking for : really fast for FPS gaming, good contrast, good colors and nice design.

Any opinions?

If I had to guess I would say go for it. But, I am never sure for reasons I told havox a couple posts ago (LG releases new 17"/19" models very often). The "5 ms" ones you avoid, but the "2 ms (GTG)" ones are usually fast. GTG or g2g (gray-to-gray response measurement) generally indicates that the LCD uses overdrive (response time acceleration). The only possible harm that RTA could do is overdo it (speed it up so much you get artifacts). This does happen on some models but usually manufacturers learn from their mistakes. The issue can be solved on newer units of a particular model containing new firmware.

Don't worry xtknnight, I have been reading your thread for a long time :) I only check for 2ms GTG LGs. I know that RTA is used for lower response times, but sometimes you can see artifacts like white trails behind fast moving objects. But I think its getting better everytime, at first I was checking for the benQ FP93GX and when they released the FP93GX+ the percentage of errors was very lower (according to x-bit labs).

One final question, does 16.7m colors with dithering (it is a TN) is really better than 16.2M?
I am comparing the new 19" LG mentionned above and the 1960TR. Oh and what about 3000:1 contrast vs 5000:1? Will I see the differences.

http://www.lge.com/products/mo...tail/l1960tr_1_6.jhtml

Triglet

Nov 22, 2007
Hello all, quick question -- I'm looking at picking up one of the LG 22", seems like they're getting a lot of thumbs up and from what I've read there's no panel lottery issues. I primarily game -- FPS(BF Series), RTS, MMORPG, a little of everything. I'm still using my beloved aperture grill CRT, and this will be my first LCD purchase.

Anyhoo, Best Buy has the L226WTQ-BF on sale right now for $280. Newegg has the L226WTY-BF for $350.

Anyone know what the difference is? Thanks!

migreen

Nov 22, 2007
So . . I received and am using my Samsung 215TW; primary use photo editing. I am very impressed. It compares very favorably with a TN (Acer) which I had tried previously, and its color and especially gray ramp are very close to the CRT I used for many years (a high-quality Compaq). Also, good creature comforts . . rotation, tilt, and swivel. But mostly the image . . excellent. Anyone focusing on photoediting (no pun intended) should check these out while they are still around. Don't know if the rebate will be back or has been extended.

Thanks to xtnight and others for help on this thread!

Mitch

Nnyan

May 30, 2003
OK so I'm looking at the Gateway FHD2400 and saw the review on extremetech. Looks like these are on sale now for $499. My only concern would be how this rates in gaming and input lag.

redlinez33

Nov 11, 2007
kicking myself for not ordering the NEC when i had the chance :(

Didnt know it was eventually going to disappear like that.

Now it seems my only options are TN panels, or the Samsung 215TW from tigerdirect.

decisions decisions

JASTECH

Oct 15, 2007
Hi, this is my first post on LCD's in a long time. I am currently using a SONY G520 and it is going out I think. I say this because it's getting very bright and all colors are washed out. I keep correcting it and then it returns later the same. So I am looking for a nice 24" LCD for Photo editing, Gaming and website building plus the day to day stuff. I have been trying to read what I can on the BenQ FP241WZ, anybody have this monitor that can tell me how it does? TIA, JAS

newschool

Jun 20, 2007
I just dont get it. Seriously how can you need a 22'' or 24'' monitor for a computer??? I mean do you have a really bad vision? Or you have a enormous desk and you can't sit less than 2 meters from your screen?? Plus you'll need to change your graphic card every 3 months because of course you cant use a lower resolution than 1920x1600. Good job.

Make me a favor and put your money on a nice TV.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
I need some in depth information on this monitor:
DoubleSight DS-245W

Point of note so far:
Panel is made by Samsung!!! ---- It is their S-PVA panel.

This might be a very, very good deal if it all plays out the way I'm thinking it might.

thecoffeeguy

Apr 12, 2001

What 19" ViewSonic do you have?

I just checked and have a VX922 model. From what I recall, at the time, it was very good for gaming (I was more into gaming at that time).

I have a 19" ViewSonic VP930b (VA-based) and I dislike it because its default color settings are pretty bad. But, after calibration I have to say it looks very good. I recommend it because it now uses a different panel, to my knowledge, and in all honestly the default settings aren't *that* bad. :eek: :p

My ViewSonic tends to have very harsh white, making it uncomfortable on the eyes at least at brighter settings where it's any good for multimedia.

Do you have a S-IPS or VA in your Dell at Work? (Look at service menu, or if this is hidden, use one of the several utilities online to distinguish VA from IPS.)

Having a hard time trying to find out what my monitor is at work right now. I'll search for a utility.

IPS has a quite noticeable purple tint at really wide angles. And, VA will have some grayscale shift (dark tones will invert a little). IPS should have no visible shifting to your eyes and very little brightness drop at wide angles.

S-IPS monitors in my experience tend to have a very neutral, easy-on-the-eyes white.

What's making your Dell more comfortable is most likely what I mentioned above (more neutral/natural white), and the Dell's smaller dot pitch which enables fonts to be rendered at a higher resolution, so they look smoother and more contiguous, not blocky, choppy, or chunky.

You shouldn't have to sacrifice between Internet use and gaming too much.

In my experience, the LG L226WT works great for Internet use and is pretty good for gaming too. That's no longer being sold, but there is the L226WTQ which is basically equivalent, with response time compensation, making it better for games.

The problem with the Dell UltraSharp 2007FP and 2007WFP (widescreen) is that you have the panel lottery. That monitor that was so comfortable on your eyes may no longer be if you end up with a VA panel. So, make sure you know what panel you have at work before buying another Dell now. If it's a VA, then go right ahead; you know what to expect and apparently you like it a lot, which isn't that surprising.

Interesting on the panel lottery. Even more important I find out what I have at work.

In my opinion, dual monitor is silly compared to one big monitor. I say this having dual monitors myself. I hardly ever use my secondary 19". Even if it was 20.1" matching my primary monitor I don't think I would use it either.

Go for a single monitor Dell 2407WFP-HC setup instead of buying two $400+ LCDs. Unless you meant combining one ~$400 LCD with one you already had, in which case it's up to you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what type of things should I be looking for" but I just assume you wanted some advice or direction. In my opinion, don't do dual monitors; they don't increase productivity unless you really do something like stock trading. I'm a huge multitasker myself (I always have tons of windows open/maxing my RAM) but I can not have myself focusing on two monitors; it is too stressful on my eyes and neck, and I can't concentrate that way. It's silly and excessive unless you know you have a need for it. If you really feel a need to check your e-mail while playing WoW, well, I guess..

The only real reason I still have my 19" here is because there's no where else it would look better, and I use it to evaluate LCD panel tech (IPS vs VA) more than anything else.

P.S. I love coffee too, sometimes too much. ;)

Interesting. Never looked at the dual monitors in that way, but it makes sense. At work, it makes a lot of sense for me because I do a ton of multitasking. For home, might not be needed, so a bigger monitor might fit the bill.
I will take a look at that 24" from Dell.

I appreciate it very much.

TCG

redlinez33

Nov 11, 2007
No way I will spend $600 on a 20" monitor, no matter how good it is......... I will be going to bestbuy, etc to look at the HP and LGs a little closer........... From what I saw the HP w2007 looks better than the w2207, but I like the bigger size and the stand of the w2207 better.

DoctorM

Jan 31, 2001
I'm subscribed to New Egg's newsletters. I just got one and it lists: Chimei 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor, model CMV 221D-NBC for $200.
"2x winner of customer choice award"
Has anyone even HEARD of this brand? How the heck did it win a CC award?

redlinez33

Nov 11, 2007
so is the Spyder2 Express calibrator worth getting??? I dont need perfect accuracy, but something that atleast borderlines the IDEA of CLOSE is good for me :p...

Does it work with Windows Vista well?

Thanks!

JASTECH

Oct 15, 2007
I just dont get it. Seriously how can you need a 22'' or 24'' monitor for a computer??? I mean do you have a really bad vision? Or you have a enormous desk and you can't sit less than 2 meters from your screen?? Plus you'll need to change your graphic card every 3 months because of course you cant use a lower resolution than 1920x1600. Good job.

Because a lot of us use them for high end graphics like I do and have the system to use it for games too, also if we have the money and want to spend it on a 22-24" monitor then so be it. When I am building web pages or doing custom photo work and spent 500.00 just for the scanner and the same for the new printer to add to my ALPS printer I like to see the photos enlarged up to 800x with ADOBE PhotoShop CS3 Extended and clean up/correct the art work it helps with a larger monitor. Thanks, JAS

djspl

Jan 21, 2005

Ever you do any actual work with your computer? Ever run a big Protools session on a little monitor? How about any type of design work where you are using 2 programs at once?

My vision is perfect, I sit 2 feet from my screen. A larger monitor doesn't make everything bigger so it's easier to see. It gives you more desktop space. It doesn't seem like you get that.

There are a ton of cheap video cards that support 1920 x 1200, after you get one there is no need to upgrade unless you are a gamer and looking for more performance (as all gamers do, not just gamers with big monitors). If I need to run something at a lower resolution I run it with black bars. Do me a favor and look up "monitor scaling".

How about you stick to TVs and leave the monitor talk to people that know what they are talking about?