[Retired] The LCD Thread

Page 338 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
And Im not so sure that even these are fully (legitimately?) available.

Is the LP2475 even being made anymore? On Newegg it seems that reviews of the most recent purchases are looking like attempts at only recycling what's left in HPs national inventory.

Also didnt I hear that the NEC and DELL's U2401 are to be discontinued?

The ZR24w more often than not seems to be out of stock (BH Photo).

However, although not 24"/16:10, NEC has issued the EA232 (upgrade of the IPS EA231 to include LED backlighting):
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_ea232wmi.htm

The few times Ive been able to see/use one of the older high quality displays, it is evident that they are substantial units (eg, heavy and built well) relative to the current flock of TN which are becoming massless/razor thin; in fact the plastic candlestick holder like stands attempting to support some of these TNs is a sick joke).

I suspect that there simply is insufficient profit in continuing to make super high quality displays as there just isnt enough demand for them (ie, enough people simply arent willing to pay the price, are insufficiently sophisticated or simply dont care). In addition, the Japan earthquake is suspected to be a factor impacting issuance of new fancy/high quality displays, at least for the next couple of years. (Frys Electronics personnel state that Japan is in the process having to relocate some of its R&D and high end efforts to USA.)

Looking around at what sells, it is inexpensive (under $200) razor thin (ie, nothing to them) TN panels (no two of which present the same PIX/color mix for the live onscreen floor demo typically ongoing). These are seen on pallets all over Frys Electronic and go out the door like hotcakes. By the time one gets through paying the increasing sales taxes and disposal fees, one ends up with a $300 piece of junk that teeters on the desktop when trying to type.

Last edited:

Dark Prognosis

Jul 17, 2008
Well, my Samsung 215tw has a new problem that I have to fiddle with it for a few minutes and let it warm up before the flickering stops. I unplugged the monitor cable and the the white floating box that says no signal flickers too. So, the monitor is very close to death and I cannot find a 1920x1200 24" IPS monitor around that can compete with the old 215tw. :(

Does anyone at all have any suggestions? I asked back in March on this thread but not a single response came.

Dark Prognosis

Jul 17, 2008
lol, look up 3 posts.

I did but that is from a no name company.

edit: Another thing is that after I researched that monitor I found a lot of people complaining that the one pictured on the websites, even the manufacturers website, is not the one you get.

example of the 5+ reviews I saw on the websites:
This monitor is nothing like the one pictured here or even on Doublesight's own website.

It has a very large and bulky bezel surrounded by a blue plastic frame. The buttons are a nightmare to use as they don't line up properly with the icons.

The image quality was good however I did not spend much time examining this as it was quickly sent back.
and
What you see is not what you get. I saw this attractive monitor listed for what I thought was a great price for an IPS panel. I went to other sites and the manufacturers page to double check the specs and to get a larger view. Every photo showed a tasteful, narrow bezel, black monitor resting on a round base. This is not a DoubleSight DS-245V. The photo is not even a close approximation. It is so far off that when it arrived I thought I had been shipped the wrong item. The actual product has a thick grey plastic bezel that widens at the base and has huge white lettering proclaiming: DoubleSight Displays. The monitor also has a raised, translucent blue plastic fringe that surrounds the bezel and is split on the right side into multiple toggles for the On Screen Display. The only thing the picture has in common with reality is the round base. It was so cheap looking that I didn't even plug it in before returning it.
So, I stand by my original question as this monitor has been discounted as a viable choice.

Last edited:

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
looks like the u2412 isnt a full successor to the 2410. they'll continue making the 2410 for a while for those people who want/need more inputs/features.

it primarily competes with the hp zr24 line. so more of a budget midrange monitor with e-ips, 6bit frc, led backlit, and lower price than 2410.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Yeah from what I understand it is basically a stripped version of the U2410....

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Well that's disappointing. It's nice to see IPS get cheaper, but I'm not a huge fan of eIPS. Plus there's going to be name-hell if they introduce an H-IPS U2412.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
For the $400 they want for the U2412 you can get the HP Z24 for that price and its full 8 bit H-IPS...

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
This DELL development is disappointing.

The trend seems to be towards offering WORSE products than their predecessors.

Rhonen

Sep 13, 2010
I'm curious why all the hate for the U2412M? I just got one and love it. I didn't get one to do graphics, so color accuracy wasn't as critical. I upgraded from an 8-year old Samsung 240T, so granted, anything will look better.

But I see this as more a media consumption monitor, so it's not really meant to replace the U2410? LED/2,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio of the U2412M makes it better suited for media/games, doesn't it?

edit: I just double checked, the older U2410 does have a better response time, 6ms, vs 8ms for the U2412M

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Might ask this question here too:

Is color banding and posterization be caused by a diying LCD monitor?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wanna get this. I currently have an L2335.

Which of the two would be better for a gaming system and which is better for the office system, assuming I use DVI for both?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ahhh.... my current monitor just started developing some issues (specifically a vertical line of pixels displays a dark blue/purple color), so I came here to check on the latest developments only to see that this thread may be well and dead. I am sorry to see that as I purchased my last 2 monitors based on this thread (and anandtech reviews, but when was the last time you saw a monitor review on anandtech?).

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, may have found my replacement. I am going to stick with my current monitor for a little while longer (the problem comes and goes it appears on power on of the monitor, so if I unplug it and plug it back in, it might not be there). The HP LP2475W seems to be the winner for me at the moment. I would love something like this with RGB LED backlights but, that doesn't seem to be in the cards at the moment with only a few monitors out there using that to begin with, and all of those being $$$$$$$.

Actually upon further research, looks like that monitor has a pink shift across the panel, so scratch that off my list... Can't believe the review sites have not mentioned that and I had to see if from user feedback on places like Amazon and Cnet (which I almost never pay attention to, but with so many people talking about it and one or two who at least knew enough about color gamut to correct all the other people complaining about saturated images when using this monitor to lead me to believe that they actually knew what they were talking about and have them also mention the pink shift makes me scratch this model off my list. That and the mention of a lot with dead pixels and multiple returns to get one without....). What is also amazing is that there are no newer monitors out that that have this combination of color accuracy (minus the pink shift), ghosting, black levels, 19:10 ratio, wide viewing angles, and connectivity options considering this monitor came out in 2009....

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I looked at that one, but crossed it off due to the backlight being CCFL. I guess I am being too demanding at this point since LED backlights with local dimming have been out for several years now I just can't believe that they are not in monitors....

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
I looked at that one, but crossed it off due to the backlight being CCFL. I guess I am being too demanding at this point since LED backlights with local dimming have been out for several years now I just can't believe that they are not in monitors....

If anything, people were complaining that that monitor was too bright.
Isn't that the main reason for one desiring the CCFL backlight?

John