Retina Macbook Pro Worth It?

Retina MacBook Pro Worth It?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Syrome

Oct 15, 2012
I am considering purchasing a new laptop this holiday season. My current desktop is a 2009 Asus CG 5270 Desktop with a 2.5 Intel core 2 Quad CPU with a 850 Watt Power Supply and a 1GDDR3 Nvidia GTS 250 GFX but its time to upgrade. I read Anands Review about he Retina MacBook Pro and he gave it a great recommendation if your in the market for Laptops or MacBooks. My question is it worth the money? I am coming from the Windows Platform so I would also be making the change to OSX but would probably install Parallels 7 and Windows 7 or 8 or Bootcamp for my various Windows based programs live Five9 for work. I would also be custom ordering the machine with 16 G DDR3 RAM and most likely 2.6 Core i7 with 512 GB SSD or Possibly 768 SSD. But anyways, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I thought about it - and I spend money all the time for the dumbest reasons; yet I couldn't justify the RMBP because I thought the graphics card was just too weak for what it is.

I've seen people game on it, but Apple could have easily put a more robust GPU in if they wanted.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
I thought about it - and I spend money all the time for the dumbest reasons; yet I couldn't justify the RMBP because I thought the graphics card was just too weak for what it is.

I've seen people game on it, but Apple could have easily put a more robust GPU in if they wanted.

Of course, but then they'd have to sacrifice on battery life/aesthetics/whatever else they want to make up for the reason they didn't. :p

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I have to say yes.
The gaming argument is silly.

People don't buy these (macbook pros) for gaming. The graphics both integrated and hardware - is plenty powerful.

Software has not caught up however.

If you can afford to wait the rmbp-2 will only improve and by then the software should have caught up.

If you need a well constructed machine that can handle most things including professional applications it's a worthy contender.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Worth it. After setting up a couple of them for some clients, it just makes everything so much easier on the eyes not seeing individual pixels. Its a marvel to look at and worth the extra cost IMHO.

Gaming should never be a consideration when purchasing a Mac so the GPU they used is fine for what the rMBP is for.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I adore mine. Makes staring at code and documentation for extended periods of time much more live able.

Syrome

Oct 15, 2012
Well, thanks for everyone feedback on the machine. I mean I can technically afford to wait until Mid 2013 for the upgrade which should have Haswell inside as well as 802.11 AC which should be great as well but its such a good machine today its hard to simply say "wait till next year" because every year there is going to be something better as with an tech hardware/software. But nonetheless, thanks for all of your comments/feedback.

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
It's probably fine for gaming (under windows 7) as long as you don't plan on playing most games at 1080p or higher. It's a 650 m so you can probably play pretty much any game at 1440x900 res without a hitch...

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

I'd have liked to have seen a 670 or something...but no need for a 680. The 650 is a little underpowered, but not too much so.

Of course, but then they'd have to sacrifice on battery life/aesthetics/whatever else they want to make up for the reason they didn't. :p

Not really, the HD4000 graphics is used when at the desktop, the dGPU only fires up when needed...and no one expects gaming battery life to be good.

I am considering purchasing a new laptop this holiday season. My current desktop is a 2009 Asus CG 5270 Desktop with a 2.5 Intel core 2 Quad CPU with a 850 Watt Power Supply and a 1GDDR3 Nvidia GTS 250 GFX but its time to upgrade. I read Anands Review about he Retina MacBook Pro and he gave it a great recommendation if your in the market for Laptops or MacBooks. My question is it worth the money? I am coming from the Windows Platform so I would also be making the change to OSX but would probably install Parallels 7 and Windows 7 or 8 or Bootcamp for my various Windows based programs live Five9 for work. I would also be custom ordering the machine with 16 G DDR3 RAM and most likely 2.6 Core i7 with 512 GB SSD or Possibly 768 SSD. But anyways, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

If you customize the RMBP it's too darn much money. Stock is worth it. Anything more than stock goes from a slight rip-off to being an insane ripoff. That's my .02.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Problem is memory is not upgradeable so 16GB right off the bat!
I have the 2.7GHz/512/16 model. Yeah it's a lot of money but so is a Clevo or decked out Alienware! This mbp will be running long after those clunkers have died. I've owned quite a few and have the experience. They don't last long or start to fall apart.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Problem is memory is not upgradeable so 16GB right off the bat!
I have the 2.7GHz/512/16 model. Yeah it's a lot of money but so is a Clevo or decked out Alienware! This mbp will be running long after those clunkers have died. I've owned quite a few and have the experience. They don't last long or start to fall apart.

Go look at a Dell XPS series laptop...and if you plan to run Windows, straight up: the GPU switching will not work, and will likely NEVER work, so while you can hit 7 hours in OSX, you'll be lucky to get 4 in Windows and will more likely get 3.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Go look at a Dell XPS series laptop...and if you plan to run Windows, straight up: the GPU switching will not work, and will likely NEVER work, so while you can hit 7 hours in OSX, you'll be lucky to get 4 in Windows and will more likely get 3.

I've owned them along with Dell Precision M6600. If I wanted Windows I'd run a PC! I'm fine with OSX and parallels for when I need Win. I do want to try Ubuntu (big laugh!) on it eventually though.

Last year I got the 17" mbp and was disappointed that its display was not IPS. The Dell M6600 was not either. For machines costing nearly $4k as configured it was a disappointment!

The IPS display on the r-mbp is very nice. Finally I can stop moving the display to the sweet spot to see things! (or have people complain when I show them something and the angle is off)

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Since everything else has been mentioned, I'll mention just this: the 650M GPU in the rMBP is not just a regular 650M. Apple decided to overclock it by default, and so... its actual performance is similar to or above stock 660M in many situations.

So even for gaming, it's very decent. The only limiting factor is 1GB VRAM. That's just not enough for some games (Skyrim comes to mind). Also to say... many games still support maximum 2560 x 1600, and won't see the 2880 x 1800 resolution at all.

Gaming aside, you can definitely feel the horsepower when doing CAD works. The rMBP is the best laptop for viewing 3D models and CAD designs IMO.

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I'd probably go with the equivalent 15'' MBP with the 1440x900 display. It's $400 cheaper, has more ports, optical drive, user upgradable hard drive and memory, replacable battery. Just a better designed system IMHO. You can put your own memory and SSD in it. Even remove the optical drive for additional storage.

I'd only get the rMBP if you're doing a lot of detailed graphics work that benefits from the high resolution. I do love the retina display in my iPad but $2200 is hard to justify, especially for what's essentially a disposable computer.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I'd probably go with the equivalent 15'' MBP with the 1440x900 display. It's $400 cheaper, has more ports, optical drive, user upgradable hard drive and memory, replacable battery. Just a better designed system IMHO. You can put your own memory and SSD in it. Even remove the optical drive for additional storage.

I'd only get the rMBP if you're doing a lot of detailed graphics work that benefits from the high resolution. I do love the retina display in my iPad but $2200 is hard to justify, especially for what's essentially a disposable computer.

I disagree. For $400 'more' you are getting a significantly better screen, and an SSD by default. Half the cost difference between the two is eaten up by getting your own SSD for the MBP. The battery is not sanctioned by Apple to be replaced by the user, and if you are under warranty, and the battery is toast on either, you take it to the Apple store. Heck, upgrade the display on the MBP and drop in an SSD, and the cost advantage is gone.

If you are in the market for a 15" Mac, the rMBP is a no brainer unless you have to pinch every penny.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
The retina display alone - not just its IPS wide viewing angle - but the fine pixel pitch makes using any other 15" portable display harsh. Once you get acclimated to the crisp text everything looks so grainy. It's like back in the day when you were the only one in the room with a .25DP Trinitron and everyone else was using .41DP shadow mask IBM monitors. Going to their computers to look made your eyes cry...

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008

Technically, rMBP has more ports if you look at future expasions. 2x Thunderbolt and 2x USB means serious things can be connected all at once. You can very comfortably connect external video decoders and some extra external displays. You can only connect to one Thunderbolt on cMBP, and not to mention both of its USB ports are on one side, so you have to be careful about placement of your peripherals.

$400 cheaper is easily offset by an SSD and RAM upgrade, and those are the only two things you can easily upgrade in a cMBP. Battery is not user serviceable in the cMBP, and nor does the optical drive. Doing either of those things effectively voids your warranty with Apple, which is a big no no in my book.

And not to mention $400 cheaper robes you a slower GPU (as mentioned, 650M in rMBP is overclocked) with only half the VRAM... so it's a huge consideration for those looking to do some serious gaming.

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
Macbook Pro Retina is pretty amazing. I have an older (2011) Macbook but have used new one with retina fair bit.

It's really darn nice I have to say. I personally love the new chassis which I think is one of the best parts about it. The screen is really good and you sure notice it.

The only problem for me - I usually doc my macbook and use a full keyboard and magic trackpad and have it hooked up full size monitor. When I first got my hands on the retina display I was like "I need one of these" but now that I have analyzed my usage I'm not so sure it's worth it because I probably only use my Macbook away from my desk a couple hours per week on average. So, for how little I use it like that, I'm not sure it is worth it for me.

If I used my Macbook as a laptop more rather then a desktop replacement that I sometimes take with me I would get it with retina for sure. It's just not how I use it.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
I wonder if they will ever release a 1680x1050 retina or 1920x1200. I find 1440x900 to be not enough real estate. I have a 17" MBP and love having 1920x1200.

I know it offers 1920x1200 non-retina but that isn't what I'm looking for.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I'd honestly wait for a revision, as when I used one for a week, it feels like they pushed it out a year too early. Here's Anand's take on it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/8

Basically the frame rate, even in Mountain Lion, is only 30 fps when scrolling, compared to the 60 fps you get on a classic. I also had a lot of stuttering any time I activated Mission Control. I don't know about you, but when I pay well over $2000 for a laptop, I expect everything to be buttery smooth.

Last edited:

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
I wonder if they will ever release a 1680x1050 retina or 1920x1200. I find 1440x900 to be not enough real estate. I have a 17" MBP and love having 1920x1200.

1920 x 1200 on the rMBP is retina. It's 3840 x 2400 scaled down to fit 2880 x 1800. It's sharper than 1920 x 1200 non-retina.

If you mean a 3840 x 2400 display, though, then you'll have to wait a while...

Last edited:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

You can use an app such as SetResX and run native - 2880x1800. I do this on occasion. You do need an eagle's eye to do it on a practical basis. In public areas look at it a security feature. If someone is close enough to see the text they are definitely invading your private space! :biggrin:

Syrome

Oct 15, 2012
After considering all of the entries, I think I am just going to hold off until next year for the hopeful upgrade. Haswell is looking very promising and by then the software issue should be much better than it is now with issues in scrolling, and framerates, etc. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Scrolling and frame rates are software issues, not hardware.

And Haswell won't come until Summer 2013 at the earliest. Next week will just be the introduction of a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, if that.

And even then, you're likely getting stuck with a dual-core processor in the 13" machine versus a quad-core in the current 15" Retina.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
If you customize the RMBP it's too darn much money. Stock is worth it. Anything more than stock goes from a slight rip-off to being an insane ripoff. That's my .02.

I ordered the base then added the $100 CPU bump and went with 16GB of RAM (+$200) and I think it was worth it. Considering the RAM isn't upgradeable, I opted to just play it safe.