Ret Adm William Fallon

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Several weeks ago I believe the resident RSS bot posted a link about how this was the last guy between Bush and a war with Iran.

Since these types of stories typically get buried on page 23. Thought I would share the information and let everybody know this guy doesnt believe a Bush wants war with Iran.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/03/fallon.qa/index.html

Phillips: [Esquire magazine writer] Tom Barnett made it appear that you were the only man standing between the president and a war with Iran. Is that true?

Fallon: I don't believe for a second President Bush wants a war with Iran. The situation with Iran is very complex. People sometimes portray it or try to portray it in very simplistic terms -- we're against Iran, we want to go to war with Iran, we want to be close to them. ... The reality is in international politics that [there are] many aspects to many of these situations, and I believe in our relationship with Iran we need to be strong and firm and convey the principles on which this country stands and upon which our policies are based. At the same time demonstrate a willingness and openness to engage in dialogue because there are certainly things we can find in common.

Phillips: So when talk of the third war came out, a war with Iran, the president didn't say to you, "This is what I want to do," and did you stand up and say, "No, sir. Bad move"?

Fallon: It's probably not appropriate to try to characterize it in that way. Again, don't believe for a second that the president really wants to go to war with Iran. We have a lot of things going on, and there are many other ways to solve problems. I was very open and candid in my advice. I'm not shy. I will tell people, the leaders, what I think and offer my opinions on Iran and other things, and continue to do that.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good. The sad thing is it took the mistakes of the Iraq war to come to reality. Oh well, at least he learned something.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Thanks. Good post. What most left wing nutjobs here don't understand is the military is tasked with developing and maintaining all sorts of military options, even against allies. That is their job, to ensure the NMCC (that's the President ) knows all options - political, economic and military in any given situation.

The Bush nuts here and elsewhere think all he wants is war to enrich his oil friends. Well, they are living in a fantasy world. Unfortunately, Bush opens himself up to this suspicion because of the Iraq post war fiasco.

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
Bush wants a war with Iran, the issue is that the generals, etc don't want it and ignore him...

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: SlingXShot
Bush wants a war with Iran, the issue is that the generals, etc don't want it and ignore him...

And you know that how?? And btw, a military officer cannot ignore lawful orders from a superior.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: dphantom
Originally posted by: SlingXShot

And you know that how?? And btw, a military officer cannot ignore lawful orders from a superior.

True, but any of the most senior officers have the option to resign, leak their intentions to the press so that the Prez really can't refuse them...

There's little doubt that any attack on Iran would be preceded by resignations at the highest levels...

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
It's interesting how Fallon worded his response to the 2nd question. He didn't directly answer it at all.

Also he doesn't say anything about Cheney.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: dphantom
Thanks. Good post. What most left wing nutjobs here don't understand is the military is tasked with developing and maintaining all sorts of military options, even against allies. That is their job, to ensure the NMCC (that's the President ) knows all options - political, economic and military in any given situation.

The Bush nuts here and elsewhere think all he wants is war to enrich his oil friends. Well, they are living in a fantasy world. Unfortunately, Bush opens himself up to this suspicion because of the Iraq post war fiasco.

No, it's not. It's the command center for the JCS that report to the president.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The question I have is, if Bush could more easily go to war in Iran - Iraq was over, he had plenty of forces, then would he want to go to war with Iran?

You wonder why I'm against an oversized military.

The idea that we would go to war if we had more military options, but not without, should say something about our willingness to go to war unnecessarily.