resuming S3 standby from USB

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
Until recently, I had a PS/2 mouse which would resume out of standby (set to S3 in the bios) with no problems. I just got a G5 so now both my mouse and my keyboard are USB and I cant find a way to exit standby other than pressing the power button but I find that annoying since my computer is under my desk and it has a front panel. I tried enabling the USB to allow the computer to exit standby but failed. One solution I tried was to go to Device Manager and find the USB Root Hub and click the option which says to "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" but the problem is that the feature is greyed out for every root hub and I dont know why?
Anyone have a solution?

RichNY

Dec 24, 2006
There are specific settings within Device Manager for the Mouse and Keyboard under the Power tab for each. Ensure the box to "Allow this device..." is checked for those in addition to the USB Root Hub.

If that doesn't work, you might have to change a setting in the BIOS or a jumper on the motherboard (depending on your motherboard) to ensure that USB ports are powered during S3 standby.

Hopefully this helps!

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
i have a gigabyte ga-p35-ds3r and i looked on their website and it says "Please adjust J6 jumper to 1-2." The problem is that I have no idea what that means or what i should do. No setting exists in the motherboard to allow for USB power and I dont think it has a jumper

RichNY

Dec 24, 2006
Unfortunately, that's as far as my knowledge goes. My Asus P5B Deluxe came set to power the USB ports during S3. Maybe someone on the Gigabyte forums (assuming they have them) or someone with more knowledge of your specific motherboard can help? Sorry!