Resumes: Use only one font?

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Sooo, here's the part where I explain why I'm writing my resume, involving teary eyed confessions of a lay off and the works. Never mind, I'll skip that.... But I emailed a mate my resume to proofread and they commented that I shouldn't use two font and that I should use only one. I understand that font consistency is important and only put the header (contact info) in Ariel while the rest of the resume is in Times New Roman - I thought it was appealing to the eyes and not too busy, but should I revert to one font? What's the font of choice these days, anyways?

chorb

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I usually go for the ransom note font, it lets the employers know that I have a sense of humor.... and am untraceable

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: chorb
I usually go for the ransom note font, it lets the employers know that I have a sense of humor.... and am untraceable

Sweet! That's a stellar idea, especially if I sign the letter "Your Eternal Love."

All kidding aside, one font - point taken. Thanks guys :)

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001

Ranom note font? :confused: Do you mean like this orl like this? :D

CptCrunch

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2005
One font.... a suggestion tho, put your name in size 36 font, it grabs the recruiter's/HRs attention real quick

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: CptCrunch
One font.... a suggestion tho, put your name in size 36 font, it grabs the recruiter's/HRs attention real quick

I throw those out. I'd rather see more info on the individual than a huge name at the top.

As per the OP's question, there is no set rule on how many fonts. It's usually a safe bet to stick with one font to maintain consistency, but as long as the fonts aren't wildly different, it doesn't really matter.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
One font, use size, bold, underline, and italics to help organize information but don't overdo it. Cheak you're spelling and grammar. Then have someone who thinks you're an idiot check it. It matters a lot. Also use the same voice throughout the resume. This isn't as critical as spelling and grammar but switching from "I blanked..." to "Job duties included..." and back is annoying.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ironwing
One font, use size, bold, underline, and italics to help organize information but don't overdo it. Cheak you're spelling and grammar. Then have someone who thinks you're an idiot check it. It matters a lot. Also use the same voice throughout the resume. This isn't as critical as spelling and grammar but switching from "I blanked..." to "Job duties included..." and back is annoying.

Yeah, listen to this guy! :evil:

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

wing dings show your sense of humor though

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'd probably just stick with one, but I doubt anyone will really fault you for using two if they go well together. In your case, I probably wouldn't use Arial for my name as the header and Times for the rest. I'd just stick with one.

I believe Times used to be the standard, but now it is sort of the classic/traditional font to use (still okay). Many young people use Arial or the like, which is sort of the new contemporary standard. I like Calibri from Office 2007 so that's what I used on mine.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

wing dings show your sense of humor though

It also shows how desperate the company is to hire people if they actually convert it. If they're that hard up for people you can probably ask for any salary you want.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: duragezic
I'd probably just stick with one, but I doubt anyone will really fault you for using two if they go well together. In your case, I probably wouldn't use Arial for my name as the header and Times for the rest. I'd just stick with one.

I believe Times used to be the standard, but now it is sort of the classic/traditional font to use (still okay). Many young people use Arial or the like, which is sort of the new contemporary standard. I like Calibri from Office 2007 so that's what I used on mine.

Yeah... you're not supposed to mix "serif" and "sans serif" fonts... it just doesn't look right