Results from another 3870+3850 Crossfire setup.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Why? based on one experience?

I've gotten the 8.2's to work and handle most all my gripes. The key is to find a way to get Crossfire recognized with a single CF bridge cable, which wasn't that easy on my rig. I've had to jump through hoops with Driver Cleaner Pro, BIOS, Card Shuffling and restore points to get this to work.

In every case with 2 bridge cables, glitching and distortion on that lower half of the screen is bad. I believe AMD/ATI has added some initial coding for Crossfire X in the drivers as this configuration only utilizes one bridge cable between the cards, with the middle card having two (to 1st and 3rd cards). In normal Crossfire mode, there is obviously problems as this isn't being handled properly and causes the aforementioned hitching/glitching when both bridges are present on a normal Crossfire 2-card setup.

At the end of the day (well, end of a really long, annoying and frustrating weekend)... the 8.2's are working without the hitching, using a single CF bridge connector and perform well. Two bridges returns the glitching/distortions 100%.

i have ZERO problems with 2 crossfire bridges .. i think he may have issues with his setup .. i'd reformat in his situation. It is a mess.:p

[it also looks like he is doing something completely different; regular 2-card XFire with 2900/3800 series uses 2 interconnect bridges; afaik it hasn't changed.]