Question Result of asking a EX GPU Miner to help repad your GPU.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
My cousin asked if i could help him clean his GPU. I went sure... lemme bring out my materials....

This is the result from a small EX-GPU miner.
20230525_134809.jpg

I think i traumatized him from touching PC Parts, as each time he asks for help, i bring out tools and stuff in bulk quanity thinking its "required" each time you service a machine.

:eek:

I keep telling him its just me, but he thinks this is the norm now.
Im still laughing at him just sitting there with confused look on why it takes so many parts just to recondition his GPU to better then factory new specs.

I tell him its stupid vendors fault for using multi size pads, and not agreeing on a normal standard one.

@Shmee @VirtualLarry

Im curious to see your GPU reconditioning packs.
Is it close to mine?

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've never "reconditioned" a GPU. Sad but true. I sell them off used AS-IS at a discount, with the caveat that the buyer may need to re paste/pad the GPU.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I've never "reconditioned" a GPU.

:O

they get really nasty especially the cheaper brands that use cheap pads and oil starts leaking from the compressed pads over time.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
they get really nasty especially the cheaper brands that use cheap pads and oil starts leaking from the compressed pads over time.
Oil? I've sold my Polaris GPUs years ago, and never had any 30-series to mine with.

My RX 5700 XT cards could use a re-do.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Oil? I've sold my Polaris GPUs years ago, and never had any 30-series to mine with.

yeah its like a wierd oil residue that pads leave.
I noticed it more on Zotac Cards, which is why i always recommend repading / repasting them.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah I have seen that stuff before, mostly on the heatsinks of m.2 SSDs.

Jul 27, 2020
What is that oil???? Any idea? Why would dimrods use that if it has a tendency to leak? That's ASKING for returns in warranty period. Or maybe it's manufactured expressly to seep like molasses for a whole year before it gets out :S

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What is that oil???? Any idea?
It's silicon oil.

If a company's sales pitch is to be believed, here is the explanation -

"The silicone thermal pad is a composite material, which is prepared by mixing two parts: a silicone elastomer that provides high elasticity and a thermally conductive filler that provides high thermal conductivity. So the main possbile reason are as follows:

1. Insufficient cross-linking degree of organic silicone, with free unreacted vinyl silicone oil, these silicone oils will migrate to the surface of the pad when the viscosity decreases at high temperature.

2. There is too much hydrogen-containing silicone oil (including side hydrogen and terminal hydrogen), and the excessive reaction will cause "bleeding" and "volatility".

3. Methyl silicone oil with inactive groups is added to the production, and even white oil is used as a plasticizer. This problem is often caused by adulteration by black heart suppliers.

4. The volatile content of vinyl silicone oil or hydrogen-containing silicone oil itself is too high, the main components are D3 ~ D10, such as long-term exposure to high temperatures will cause small molecules to slowly release suspected carcinogens.

6. Organic materials remaining in the process of powder processing by powder manufacturers.

Question 4: How to solve these problems?

1. The problem of "oil bleeding"

(1) Do not artificially add plasticizers with inactive groups such as dimethyl silicone oil and white oil;

(2) Try to use vinyl silicone oil and hydrogen-containing silicone oil with low volatile content, and find reliable manufacturer;

(3) Improve the formulation and control the proportion of cross-linking agent, not to be seriously inadequate or excessive.

(4) Use single vinyl terminated silicone oil

2. The problem of "volatility"

(1) Use low cyclics silicone oil to control the D3 ~ D10 content and reduce volatilites;

(2) Improve the formulation and control the proportion of cross-linking agent, not to be seriously inadequate or excessive.

(3) Powder materials need to be screened by manufacturers with low volatility."

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hence why i tell people not to use cheap pads, and replace the pads on good cards thats use cheap pads.
Yes im looking at you Zotac.

Although a lot of vendors are guilty of this too.
I think eVGA moved to that thicker paste pad thing to avoid this, but man, cleaning up a eVGA card is a nightmare.