resubnetting scope in DHCP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by oddyager, Oct 2, 2007.

1. oddyager

oddyager Diamond Member

Hi all,

I created a scope providing addresses for say 172.17.1.0/26 but now I want to expand that so it now gives 172.17.1.0/24. Is there a way for me to expand it without having to delete the scope and recreate it (I have 50 or so reservations on it)? This scope is live. The subnet mask is greyed out and I can't change it. If this is not possible is there a way for me to backup those reservations and re-import them in?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - resubnetting scope DHCP Forum Date
    multiple Layer 2 switches having brown outs, unidentified network, dhcp failures, 169 addresses etc Networking Jun 6, 2017
    User Defined DHCP Scope Options Networking Jul 20, 2010
    Win 2003 server and configuring scopes Networking Jan 30, 2006
    DHCP and multiple scopes on a single server Networking Nov 10, 2005
    how does pc know which dhcp scope to use? Networking Feb 1, 2004

3. jlazzaro

jlazzaro Golden Member

there's no way, at least that I know of, to change the mask of a configured scope. you can export the reservations to a tab-delimited text file, but I see no way to import them back.

you may be able to use dhcpcmd.exe from the resource toolkit to edit the DHCP database located in system32\dhcp...KB 232213

4. oddyager

oddyager Diamond Member

:(

I'll give that tool a try.

5. oddyager

oddyager Diamond Member

I found this article on the web:

http://blogs.msdn.com/anto_roc...2005/02/28/381539.aspx

Running the export command gave me a dump of the reservations and from the looks of it you can re-import them back into dhcp (one of the users mentioned they can do this one scope at a time). I have no idea how this is done as it all looks greek to me.

6. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Wow, that's a retarded restriction.

The netsh option shouldn't be too bad, depending on how the export is setup you'd just need to do a search/replace or two to format the file how netsh wants.