Restrictions As To Whom Can Vote....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Of course, it's so obvious now that you mentioned it - the solution to having a disadvantaged segment of your citizenry is clearly to further disenfranchise those people.

I don't think this goes quite far enough, though. Perhaps you and the other hard-working, do-it-yourselfers could use your privileged voting powers to also pass a law that forces the poor to wear signs saying "I AM USELESS". Or something slightly less obvious but still evocative, like a restriction from wearing more than one shoe at a time.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Of course, it's so obvious now that you mentioned it - the solution to having a disadvantaged segment of your citizenry is clearly to further disenfranchise those people.

I don't think this goes quite far enough, though. Perhaps you and the other hard-working, do-it-yourselfers could use your privileged voting powers to also pass a law that forces the poor to wear signs saying "I AM USELESS". Or something slightly less obvious but still evocative, like a restriction from wearing more than one shoe at a time.

There biggest "disadvantage" is being too dumb to wrap it up. I guess we could start turning them into eunuchs :sneaky:

Nov 8, 2012

Yes, because thats totally a logical comparisson :rolleyes:

How about more along the lines of: Your government is holding you up - How about instead of yelling back "HOLD ME UP MORE, I'M NOT COMFY YET" - that you take what you can get? Derp derp

Apr 27, 2012
Those leeches on the government trough definitely should not be able to vote, there helping to screw this country along with illegal immigrants

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I'd agree with that requirement because as it stands now it is just simply too easy for politicians to pander to votes from those who are dependent on government.

I'd also add to it a requirement of 100 IQ or higher, age 30 or higher, felons excluded in all states, for life, no exceptions.

Only those born in the US, no first generation immigrants.

I bet you are a republican.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

How about more along the lines of: Your government is holding you up - How about instead of yelling back "HOLD ME UP MORE, I'M NOT COMFY YET" - that you take what you can get? Derp derp

I wasn't making a comparison so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I take it you've never traveled on a government-built road? Never went to a public grade school or university? Never hooked your home up to a public utility or water/sewage plant? Because if you have, how do you mean to claim to stand on your own two feet? Sure seems like you've been the recipient of a great many services from government - just perhaps not quite as many of the people you're looking to steal the vote from.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I wasn't making a comparison so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I take it you've never traveled on a government-built road? Never went to a public grade school or university? Never hooked your home up to a public utility or water/sewage plant? Because if you have, how do you mean to claim to stand on your own two feet? Sure seems like you've been the recipient of a great many services from government - just perhaps not quite as many of the people you're looking to steal the vote from.

And those public utilities don't send a monthly bill for service?

Where do you live? :D

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
5. Bring up un-related subject, yet avoiding the topic discussion at hand.

Still awaiting your response...
Ignorant generalizations don't dignify a rebuttal, and you already agreed that your generalization was ignorant:
Ignorant generalizations that have yet to be proven wrong, more like. In fact, nothing but support for such "Generalizations" has ever shown up.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
PSA: Your local power utility is heavily subsidized. You are not paying the full cost of energy.

And if it wasn't would the cost be the same?

Would the people be able to afford it?

What if the taxes were lower could people pay the full price then?

That is the problem with subsidies - you never know what would be the price without them since they corrupt the free market.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What I find gratifying is that not too many of our usual conservatives have chimed in with agreement here. I'm hoping it's because they recognize Nazis when they see them.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I've heard this rattling around the talk shows of late, it's ludicrous. The host was putting a hard line on it, a father of a severely wounded soldier called in and asked if his son shouldn't be able to vote as he's recieving gov't compensation for his injuries (for his wheelchair, therapy, etc), and the answer was 'of course he shouldn't be able to vote, he's taking money from the government'.

Idiots.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
What I find gratifying is that not too many of our usual conservatives have chimed in with agreement here. I'm hoping it's because they recognize Nazis when they see them.

I'm a conservative, but not an idiot, and the very idea proposed of eliminating the rights of people to vote is utterly insane to me.

It's also worth noting that the morons proposing this (the extreme right wing) conveniently ignore that a HUGE number of redneck red-state welfare recipients vote Republican, so even if this idea passed, it'd be a wash politically. All it would be is a huge middle finger to the constitution and the idea of representative government.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Very simple question, since someone suggested it on a talk show I was listening to.

Do you think - for any reasons (list them), that we should make a system that restricts a citizen to be unable to vote in an election? In this case, they said that you should not be able to vote if you are currently relying on the government through entitlements. EG: Welfare, Student Loans, Food Stamps, Medical Care.

To be honest, I see the point. If you are currently relying on your government to hold you up, why should you have any say in what happens? Clearly you can't stand on your own 2 feet - so why do you think you should have a say? If the government is holding you up, clearly you haven't met the real world.

LMAO the only people who would be able to vote are those who live off in the woods somewhere in the middle of no where.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I'd be ok with not allowing anyone who lives fully off government hand outs a vote.

I view it as a conflict of interests.

[B said:
s0me0nesmind1][/B]Those leeches on the government trough definitely should not be able to vote, there helping to screw this country along with illegal immigrants

So...disabled vets don't get to vote?

Last edited:

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
If you're working at Walmart, you didn't sit down and analyze how the world works. Now go find some Walmarts that comprise of ANYTHING but liberal voting retards at them.

C'mon now, chop chop cheerio ol' lass.

If you had ever worked in retail you would know that there are definitely diehard republicans working at walmart.

Heh 1st generation immigrants would probably be more inclined to vote for our american way of life than 2nd,3rd, or 4th generation immigrants. The people who are fucking up this country are not 1st generation immigrants. They are 2nd+ generation entitled people who were born here.

I dont have a definitive opinion on this subject. But I will share my experience in 2011 that bothered me. I went to vote on a school funding measure in my city that would be paid for by property owners. And there was a huge line of 18 year old highschool kids. I understand that they have a right to vote. But it did bother me knowing they were going to vote me a higher property tax and graduate. They didnt have any skin in the game and had nothing to lose by voting yes.
I admit to feeling a little chaffed whenever a measure comes up that's funded by an increase in property taxes, but it is what it is. At least it's something that benefits the local community in some way, even if it's something I don't particularly feel like paying for.

And it still beats renting :)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Restrictions As To Whom Can Vote....

Very simple question, since someone suggested it on a talk show I was listening to.

Do you think - for any reasons (list them), that we should make a system that restricts a citizen to be unable to vote in an election? In this case, they said that you should not be able to vote if you are currently relying on the government through entitlements. EG: Welfare, Student Loans, Food Stamps, Medical Care.

To be honest, I see the point. If you are currently relying on your government to hold you up, why should you have any say in what happens? Clearly you can't stand on your own 2 feet - so why do you think you should have a say? If the government is holding you up, clearly you haven't met the real world.

WWYBYWB?

Your Anti-American kind ass is going down.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What if you have a government job? Should you be barred from voting? What if you're in the military? How about if you own a company that gets government contracts, should you be able to vote? What if you work for a company that is a government contractor? It's all still government money coming your way. If you've received government benefits how long should you be banned from voting for? Unemployment insurance has frequently been subsidized by the federal government, so if you lose your job should you lose your right to vote?

I eagerly await the well thought out answers to these questions. People are always looking for ways to keep people who don't agree with them from voting, it's pathetic. Democracy exists to provide the greatest possible quality of life for the greatest possible number of people in the country. If you can provide that, you will do well. If Republicans concentrated on that more they might find more electoral success.