Respectfully, I request computer upgrading expertise and suggestions.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Delsana

Nov 25, 2013
Well I made my purchases, I'm holding off on the SSD until Christmas, I just don't see the need to tally up even more purchases than I have, when this was really just supposed to be buying a few fans for my case. I bought 1 fan for the side so I can test and see if it works well. I chose this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also purchased a TX 650 preferably V1 power supply, but I suspect I may have to RMA from the very mixed reviews on the V2 power supply page. Regardless hopefully that power supply works out well. The XFX was sold out before Cyber Monday which surprised me as I always do stuff on that day.

I've also purchased the Seagate 3TB OEM so hopefully I have what it takes and it doesn't fail on me.

I also got the Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO from Amazon and hope that works out well. I will buy some more Arctic Silver later, it always seems I buy it, use a few drops and then never touch it again and it just dries up.

Total was about 212 and a 20 dollar rebate should come through from Corsair in a few months hopefully.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Let us know how it goes. :)

To answer your HSF question, yes you will need to clean your CPU and reapply thermal paste when you change out the heatsink.

Since your motherboard has 3-pin headers, that means it controls fan speeds via the older voltage method rather than the newer PWM method. The Noctua is a voltage based fan, and in fact runs well with no voltage control thanks to the low-noise (i.e. voltage-reducing) adapters that come it with.

Regarding the color, Noctua tan and brown is a badge of honor. Nobody who knows anything about computer parts will laugh at it. In fact, you could use that as a test. :hmm:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
and a 20 dollar rebate should come through from Corsair in a few months hopefully.

As long as you did the rebate paperwork correctly you should get it... I've never missed one. I just got my $20 rebate card in the mail today from my CX430 I bought... turnaround time: 28 days. :D

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
Well I made my purchases, I'm holding off on the SSD until Christmas, I just don't see the need to tally up even more purchases than I have, when this was really just supposed to be buying a few fans for my case. I bought 1 fan for the side so I can test and see if it works well. I chose this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also purchased a TX 650 preferably V1 power supply, but I suspect I may have to RMA from the very mixed reviews on the V2 power supply page. Regardless hopefully that power supply works out well. The XFX was sold out before Cyber Monday which surprised me as I always do stuff on that day.

I've also purchased the Seagate 3TB OEM so hopefully I have what it takes and it doesn't fail on me.

I also got the Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO from Amazon and hope that works out well. I will buy some more Arctic Silver later, it always seems I buy it, use a few drops and then never touch it again and it just dries up.

Total was about 212 and a 20 dollar rebate should come through from Corsair in a few months hopefully.

Don't worry about the Arctic Silver. It's actually quite a dated thermal compound at this point. They give you a syringe of Cooler Master TIM with the 212. It probably works just as well as the AS5.

Delsana

Nov 25, 2013
As long as you did the rebate paperwork correctly you should get it... I've never missed one. I just got my $20 rebate card in the mail today from my CX430 I bought... turnaround time: 28 days. :D

Well to do the rebate I have to take the UPC code thing when they send it lol.

Also, I don't think anyone ever let me know what the enclosure I need to put an SSD in my 3.5 drives is?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Well to do the rebate I have to take the UPC code thing when they send it lol.

Also, I don't think anyone ever let me know what the enclosure I need to put an SSD in my 3.5 drives is?

You just need an adapter bracket or tray, not an enclosure. Some SSDs come with them (usually in a 'kit' that has the tray and other cloning software, etc) or you can buy one for something like $5. Some case's HDD trays have mount holes for 2.5" drives as well. It just depends....

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
You just need an adapter bracket or tray, not an enclosure. Some SSDs come with them (usually in a 'kit' that has the tray and other cloning software, etc) or you can buy one for something like $5. Some case's HDD trays have mount holes for 2.5" drives as well. It just depends....

Example bracket - $4

Also, SSDs don't really care about vibration like HDDs do and they're very light. You can literally velcro it to the floor of the case if you want.

Delsana

Nov 25, 2013
I've only seen a 4-5 degree difference with the cooling since I changed it. That seems like a very low decrease. Did something go wrong? I put it in, put a pea on the cpu and twisted it a few times and then left it alone. Was the thermal paste CM included poor? Was I supposed to put some on the heat sink as well? It seems weird that it twists still if I try but it definitely is on.

I heard others were getting 19 or 24 idle.. that would have been more preferred.