Resolved... Thank you everyone for their critism!

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
I sold a laptop on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3455160260&category=42200&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSO%3AIT&rd=1

I sent it out with a clean install of windows xp pro sp1, the other party gets it and finds that he can't boot it up. he sent me an email about his on feb 6th. I sent an email back explaining that it could have been damage to the harddrive through the dellivery from CA to NY via UPS, so I told him to boot up with a NTFS reader in DOS and go from there.

8 Days later, Feb 14th, he sents me this email...

Wilson:

Thanks very much for your message of Feb 6 and the steer to the NTFS website.

The more I test the machine you sent, the unhappier I am.

I have taken another look at the Fdisk utility and tried it out on several machines here, desktops and a laptop. I used the most recent version I know of, which comes with Windows ME. Fdisk detected and accurately reported NTFS and non-NTFS partitions in each of the machines it ran on. On the machine you sent, it reported "No fixed disks present."

I have also visited the website you mentioned and downloaded and set up the NTFS reader utility for DOS. The utility can be run from the A: drive using a bootable floppy disk available from the website. Again, the NTFS reader utility reported "No hard disks detected" on the machine you sent.

So, at startup the machine itself reports "Operating System not found", and cannot install an operating system because it cannot detect its own hard drive.

In your offering on eBay, you stated that the machine is guaranteed to work on arrival. It does not. There is a serious hard disk malfunction of some kind.

Also in your offering on eBay, you described the machine as a Dell Inspiron 5000. I am unhappy that nowhere is the machine identified as a Dell Inspiron 5000, or as a Dell product of any kind. Every Dell laptop I have have ever seen is clearly labelled as a Dell product on the cover, on the chassis and even on the battery. A Dell machine has Dell's Service Tag and Express Service Code, which allow access to Dell's online support for the unit. The CMOS Setup screen normally identifies the unit's Service Tag.

The machine you sent has none of those identifying marks. Its cover is labelled "ChemBook", a name I have never heard of here in New York, and there is no indication anywhere of a model name or number. The machine looks like an Inspiron 5000 but is apparently another make.

I noted also that the center hinge of the screen is damaged and the screen wobbles back and forth.

All of these issues are just not acceptable, so I have sent the machine back to you together with all of the related items you sent me.

Please return the funds I sent you.

I have sent the machine to you today, Feb. 14, at your address in San Lorenzo, by UPS second day air. The UPS agent advises you should have it on Tuesday, Feb. 17. The tracking no. is XXXXXXXXXX.

Thanks in advance for your refund and regards.

Walter

Now, what do I do? there was a 8 day laps of emails, so I figured he got it working, and that was that, and now he turns around and sents back the item already... I'm expecting it tomorrow,... now what??

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
If he sent the item back then you should give his money back. It clearly was not working when he received it and you said so yourself that it would work upon arrival. The only ethical and logical thing to do is refund the guys money.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: kitkit201
Now, what do I do? there was a 8 day laps of emails, so I figured he got it working, and that was that, and now he turns around and sents back the item already... I'm expecting it tomorrow,... now what??
How did he pay?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
If he sent the item back then you should give his money back. It clearly was not working when he received it and you said so yourself that it would work upon arrival. The only ethical and logical thing to do is refund the guys money.
No refunds until the seller verifies it was not working.

Most importantly make sure the machine you get back is the exact same one you sent.

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
How did he pay?

paid via paypal

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
No refunds until the seller verifies it was not working.

Most importantly make sure the machine you get back is the exact same one you sent.

Right, sorry I forgot to add that.

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
This is easy. Refund his money. Its not an Inspiron 5000. You ripped him off.

I did not rip him off, 8 days of laps time and he sent it back to me...

I am in t he middle of writing a response back to him... stating.. this..
Walter-

First off, I never had any problems with the install of Windows XP on the unit, and if there was a problem, you should have let me know after I sent a reply back to you on Feb 6th, describing what NTFS utility to use so you can reformat it. You never responded back to me for a week concerning what you found out from the laptop and now you give me this email stating that you have already sent the laptop back to me because you are unsatisified with it.

If you look at my auction listing more carefully, I posted many pictures of the unit itself. On there, there are NO markings, nor did I mention any markings that it is a Dell, other than the fact that I said it on my title. I never had the chance to explain this to you, but back when Dells were not as popular as they are now, they did not create their own line of laptops. Instead, they bought the models from other manufactors in the Far East and Bay Area so Dell was the middlemen for many laptops, including this one. It?s like buying a Scion, (www.scion.com) a Toyota brand over here. It says Scion, but you know the manufacter is from Toyota.

I never got the chance to even explain this to you, but if you check this website right here.. http://kropf.net/i5000/ it explains everything you need to know about the laptop. I sold it as a dell 5000 inspiron because the laptop comes from the same family line as the Compal N38W3. It even has better specs then the Dell 5000 Inspirion to begin with anyways.

Clearly it IS a dell 5000, but it doens't have be marked in order to signify it!

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Did he check to see if the cables got jarred loose in a UPS box soccer accident? Are his claims of this not being an Inspiron 5000 valid?

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

Walter-

First off, I never had any problems with the install of Windows XP on the unit, and if there was a problem, you should have let me know after I sent a reply back to you on Feb 6th, describing what NTFS utility to use so you can reformat it. You never responded back to me for a week concerning what you found out from the laptop and now you give me this email stating that you have already sent the laptop back to me because you are unsatisified with it.

If you look at my auction listing more carefully, I posted many pictures of the unit itself. On there, there are NO markings, nor did I mention any markings that it is a Dell, other than the fact that I said it on my title. I never had the chance to explain this to you, but back when Dells were not as popular as they are now, they did not create their own line of laptops. Instead, they bought the models from other manufactors in the Far East and Bay Area so Dell was the middlemen for many laptops, including this one. It?s like buying a Scion, (www.scion.com) a Toyota brand over here. It says Scion, but you know the manufacter is from Toyota.

I never got the chance to even explain this to you, but if you check this website right here.. http://kropf.net/i5000/ it explains everything you need to know about the laptop. I sold it as a dell 5000 inspiron because the laptop comes from the same family line as the Compal N38W3. It even has better specs then the Dell 5000 Inspirion to begin with anyways.

Clearly it IS a dell 5000, but it doens't have be marked in order to signify it!

That is misrepresentation. Also fraud. Illegal. It could have the innards of a dell inspiron 5000, but if its not marked as one, it is not one. NOWHERE in your auction did you mention this.

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
So is it a Dell or not?

It is a dell, but it is not marked.. it has all the specs and peripheals that you would get if you bought it from dell back in 2000.

Again, back in the days, Dell did not produce their own line of laptops (they bought theirs from manufacters and rebadged it themselves with the dell logo)

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm sorry, but you can't sell a Mini Cooper as a BMW 318 regardless of the innards.
That's shady.

Upon verifying that you got back what you gave him, just refund his money and cut your losses.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
You get the laptop back, it works, murder him.
You get the laptop back, it doesn't work, refund him....then shoot yourself.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It might be like a Dell, but it isn't a Dell. Selling it as a Dell is outrageous !

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
So is it a Dell or not?

It is a dell, but it is not marked.. it has all the specs and peripheals that you would get if you bought it from dell back in 2000.

Again, back in the days, Dell did not produce their own line of laptops (they bought theirs from manufacters and rebadged it themselves with the dell logo)

Its NOT a Dell. It does not have the express service code, service tags, etc. You lied in the auction. You have to disclose information like that. I don't care what you say, I think most people here would agree what you did was flat out wrong.

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000

Walter-

That is misrepresentation. Also fraud. Illegal. It could have the innards of a dell inspiron 5000, but if its not marked as one, it is not one. NOWHERE in your auction did you mention this.

If I put a sticker that says Dell outside, would it be a Dell if the innards aren't the same? Of course not. On the bottom of the laptop.. it clearly states that it is a compal N38W3, which if you go to http://kropf.net/i5000 you can see that its model line is from a Dell...

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
So is it a Dell or not?

That's not the same. You should have said something in your auction. You should refund him.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
1. get laptop back verify it is yours, make sure it works, if it doesn't check to see if he removed any hardware (HD?)
2. refund if it's the same one you sent him and no parts are missing.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

Walter-

If I put a sticker that says Dell outside, would it be a Dell if the innards aren't the same? Of course not. On the bottom of the laptop.. it clearly states that it is a compal N38W3, which if you go to http://kropf.net/i5000 you can see that its model line is from a Dell...

What if he needed to buy original Dell parts? Would he have a service tag # ? No. Would he have a serial #? No. I'd stop replying to this thread before you bury yourself further, because this has all the components of a 100+ post flame fest, aimed at you.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
So is it a Dell or not?

wow glad you posted this. now we know who not to buy from

you lied to him to get him to buy it. your auction was very misleading and wrong.

Give the guy his money back and repost the auction stateing what the laptop really is.