RESOLVED!!! PC freezes after inserting a CD/DVD in drive

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
this almost always happens if i insert a disk then open windows explorer - seems like there is a conflict and the entire system stops.

if i don't touch my mouse while inserting a disk, i;m usually OK.

running:
3800 san diego
1.5 Gb ram
Liteon DVD SOHW-1693S

it's not a heat issue. any ideas?

thanks,
robert.

EDIT - Resolution:
I thought I might have been infected with a virus or some spyware/malware, so i went through add/delete programs to delete anything i didn't need or want anymore. I was having problems uninstalling programs.

I googled the message(something about the Windows Installer Service was not accessible). Found on M$ site that the windows installer could have become corrupted. I downloaded a new version of the installer.

I tried to install FEAR and it worked with no problems. Also, i've inserted several disks and my PC hasn't crashed once.

thanks everyone for your ideas.

robert.

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
So you put a disk in, if you then open up a window for the drive then XP crashes? But if you wait a bit and then open a window it works?

Does it matter what disk you insert?

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Bobthelost
So you put a disk in, if you then open up a window for the drive then XP crashes?
Almost 100% time it will crash

But if you wait a bit and then open a window it works?
most of the time.. like today right before i posted this thread, i inserted my new FEAR cd. without touching anything, the CD spun up and system froze.

Does it matter what disk you insert?
No.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: duragezic
Maybe try disabling auto-run on all drives?

hmm.. thought i had it off.. guess i didn't.. i'll give that a go..

thanks!

Dragoon42

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2000
disabling auto-run seems like it'll be a temp fix. this one stumbles me =/....i'd rma the drive or something, what mobo are you using? have you updated drivers?

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
disabling autoplay didn't work... i disabled & rebooted... got through 2 disks installing fear.. it asked me for the 3rd.. i put it in and hit <enter> and it froze.

CPU & mobo are new.. ASUS mATX A8N-VSM

maybe i don't have the latest drivers.. i don't recall this happening with my last CPU/mobo, now that i think about it.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003

i had loaded AnyDVD on it and whenever i inserted any disk any time (every time), the PC froze.

i uninstalled that, it the problem got better. however, I still often get freezes when inserting a disk.

i upgraded the firmware on the Lite-On - that didn't help at all.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: robphelan

i had loaded AnyDVD on it and whenever i inserted any disk any time (every time), the PC froze.

i uninstalled that, it the problem got better. however, I still often get freezes when inserting a disk.

I would suggest you try a different CD/DVD drive if possible, and/or using a lens cleaner disc on the drive. The 'freeze' you are describing sounds like the drive having problems reading the disc. If you're sure the disc is clean and not scratched, it could be that the drive lens itself is dirty, or the drive is damaged in some way.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Originally posted by: robphelan

I would suggest you try a different CD/DVD drive if possible, and/or using a lens cleaner disc on the drive. The 'freeze' you are describing sounds like the drive having problems reading the disc. If you're sure the disc is clean and not scratched, it could be that the drive lens itself is dirty, or the drive is damaged in some way.

i just yanked a new DVD drive from my media server and the same exact thing happened..

i inserted FEAR and opened windows explorer... double clicked on the drive and the PC froze.