*Resolved* Another Velociraptor on the way (RAID 0)

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Will I be able to backup my OS installation and then restore it once I have configured RAID 0?
I'll be using an Areca 1220

Edit: Resolved:

Ok, it worked

I used the Vista imager to do this.

It was a little tricky to install the drivers for the ARC-1220 because there are ~3 places where the vista install DVD allows you to add drivers and I did so on all 3 parts; I had the restore fail on me the first couple of times I tried it.
Something I did was add the ARECA drivers to the driver Vista pool before making the image. Here's an article that mentions this:

http://winserverteam.org.uk/blogs/sc...d-drivers.aspx

So Yes. it can be done though I took so many precautions that I'm not sure which worked and which were extraneous.

I went from 1 VRaptor to VRaptor RAID0 on another HBA (Intel -> Areca).
Thanks, Rubycon

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Great! Thanks -- one more thing:
I will be changing the HBA from the mobo-integrated one to the ARC-1220. How will the whole drivers installation work out?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Create an image (Acronis?) then remove the drive and strap both to your Areca. Create an array, restore the image. Boot up. Nice blue screen? Do a repair installation of the OS and use the F6 option and load the areca storeport driver and you should be all set. Don't forget to run Windows Update to bring your system current.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Create an image (Acronis?) then remove the drive and strap both to your Areca. Create an array, restore the image. Boot up. Nice blue screen? Do a repair installation of the OS and use the F6 option and load the areca storeport driver and you should be all set. Don't forget to run Windows Update to bring your system current.

Thanks so much for the help!
I'm going to use the built-in Vista backup -- I should be ok, right?

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Ok, it worked

I used the Vista imager to do this.

It was a little tricky to install the drivers for the ARC-1220 because there are ~3 places where the vista install DVD allows you to add drivers and I did so on all 3 parts; I had the restore fail on me the first couple of times I tried it.
Something I did was add the ARECA drivers to the Vista driver pool before making the image. Here's an article that mentions this:

http://winserverteam.org.uk/blogs/sc...d-drivers.aspx

So Yes. it can be done though I took so many precautions that I'm not sure which worked and which were extraneous.

I went from 1 VRaptor to VRaptor RAID0 on another HBA (Intel -> Areca).
Thanks, Rubycon