Resolution Does Matter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TiSA88

Mar 24, 2017
It sounds like Just Cause 3 isn't greatly optimized for multiple threads. Does your game stutter at both resolutions? 1440p and 1080p? Since you have plenty of CPU cores, you might try running a program to check the GPU load to see if it is hitting 100%. Also, is your 5820k overclocked or at stock? Do you have trouble with any other games or just this one?
I'll post screenshots later but the numbers vary a lot

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
What the hell, this is so unfair!!
I threw money away on this expensive ram then
Fancy ram can usually run with lower timings too.

But if you just want max performance from your system I'd read up on cpu overclocking first.

TiSA88

Mar 24, 2017
1440p
j6vvoZQ.png

1440p
eWRAxfp.jpg

1080p
g2kQiwk.png

TiSA88

Mar 24, 2017
Just up the multiplier and make sure you have enough voltage.
I changed the multiplier to 40 and the voltage to 1.110 but somehow i end up with 1.04, i don't understand what happened there.
everything is on auto, should i change anything else?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
You might as well underclock your RAM and just tighten the timings. There's enough bandwidth at quad channel that 2666MHz with low timings will be just effective as running at 3200MHz+ with stock timings.

As far as D15, I have one too and mine Isn't even hitting 70C on load at 4.6GHz with high stress gaming like Assassin's Creed Unity which will routinely max several cores in large crowds. That said I have both fans running and I used gelid gc extreme paste.

Reactions: TiSA88

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
What the hell, this is so unfair!!
I threw money away on this expensive ram then
I'm not so sure you could say that, encouraging you to go back and compare again to find the difference you spent.

You can instead downclock the RAM and tighten the timings. You should be able to do that on any decent motherboard. I had an $85 mATX board that only allowed for crude overclocking and you couldn't change the RAM voltage at all, as I remember. But we were certainly able to run the RAM at a lower speed while choosing custom timings that may in some way compensate. The only big obstacle comes with the question "Which timings or latency settings? -- Which?" Look at other models of the same model-line as those you've bought -- from the same manufacturer, and find the tightest timings you can for the target lower speed.

I've done that with various generations of RAM from DDR2 days forward. I never thought I "lost any money."

TiSA88

Mar 24, 2017
I'm not so sure you could say that, encouraging you to go back and compare again to find the difference you spent.

You can instead downclock the RAM and tighten the timings. You should be able to do that on any decent motherboard. I had an $85 mATX board that only allowed for crude overclocking and you couldn't change the RAM voltage at all, as I remember. But we were certainly able to run the RAM at a lower speed while choosing custom timings that may in some way compensate. The only big obstacle comes with the question "Which timings or latency settings? -- Which?" Look at other models of the same model-line as those you've bought -- from the same manufacturer, and find the tightest timings you can for the target lower speed.

I've done that with various generations of RAM from DDR2 days forward. I never thought I "lost any money."
I'm really scared of doing this and f*ck it up somehow