Resident Evil 7 reviews.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It's not an fps per say but you are in First person view mode the whole time. I would just say survival horror with fps element.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I loved the first four games and hated 5 and 6. From what I'm reading, a lot of people are saying this one goes back to what made RE good. I think I'll grab this when it goes on sale.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I'm enjoying the game so far, but it's really just like Alien: Isolation. I've just cleared out the greenhouse so it's possible it changes up a bit, but so far it's just like Alien. That's not so much a bad thing, but it's not the revolutionary thing I was lead to believe.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I'm enjoying the game so far, but it's really just like Alien: Isolation. I've just cleared out the greenhouse so it's possible it changes up a bit, but so far it's just like Alien. That's not so much a bad thing, but it's not the revolutionary thing I was lead to believe.
I've watched 2 friends play through the scene in the Garage and it played out *very* differently each time. One of them was a *lot* more effective in VR.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Finished it in about 19 hrs. Felt the second half was a little underwhelming. I'll probably play it through once more and then wait for and dlc.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I just got to the trailer in the yard and so far I don't love the game. It's fairly cheesy and dumb, and the fight mechanics are clunky. I think the environments are well done and the sound design is excellent, but the gameplay is more of an annoying chore than it is fun.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I just got to the trailer in the yard and so far I don't love the game. It's fairly cheesy and dumb, and the fight mechanics are clunky. I think the environments are well done and the sound design is excellent, but the gameplay is more of an annoying chore than it is fun.
It's meant to be played in VR.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004

That is all in the design. From the narrow field of view, the clunky controls to the limited ammo, it's meant to make the player feel at a disadvantage to increase the suspense. I don't have a problem with that but others will.

Just for kicks I downloaded a trainer and used the Unlimited ammo cheat. The gameplay totally lost its appeal because you can just now blast away any enemy without worry or fear. Also the camera angles and controls are even worse on the earlier RE games. Many times you'll be running in circles just trying to run around a corner or shooting into empty space.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I don't mind the limited ammo - but several of the fights so far don't give you any idea what you're supposed to be doing, or if what you're doing is actually working or not. It's taking a lot of trial & error to get through them, which I'm finding annoying and not fun.

Atmosphere is what this game really has going for it, but when I have to replay the same encounter a dozen times the immersion is totally lost and I'm left just feeling irritated with the clunky design.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Looked at RedLetterMedia's stream ("Previously Recorded") with Jack and Rich Evans. The texture quality is absolutely terrible compared to what I've seen on my PS4 Pro. I can't tell if they're playing on XBOX One or on PC (they're definitely using a controller). It looks so bad, it's distracting.

Is that just the difference between XBOX One and PS4? Or does PS4 look like that compared to PS4 Pro?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Looked at RedLetterMedia's stream ("Previously Recorded") with Jack and Rich Evans. The texture quality is absolutely terrible compared to what I've seen on my PS4 Pro. I can't tell if they're playing on XBOX One or on PC (they're definitely using a controller). It looks so bad, it's distracting.

Is that just the difference between XBOX One and PS4? Or does PS4 look like that compared to PS4 Pro?
I've wondered about this too. On my ps4 pro you can definitely tell hdr kicks in. I'd say it looks a bit better than the videos I've seen of just the ps4 version/Xbox.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I've wondered about this too. On my ps4 pro you can definitely tell hdr kicks in. I'd say it looks a bit better than the videos I've seen of just the ps4 version/Xbox.
My PS4 Pro is used with an ancient Sony KDL-52XBR2. No HDR or 4K - just one of the earliest 1080p sets from a time when LCD could barely be used for high-end TVs due to inferior picture quality. I played the RE7 demo before the game was released and that looked great. Played the final game exclusively on PSVR - so resolution is pretty low but textures and models look way better than what I'm seeing in that online video.

Last edited: