Discussion Resident Evil 2 Remake Demo

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Tried it today. Getting good performance on PC at 3440x1440p (up to 100 fps). Used max setting present even though it complained it may use a lot of vram. It was fine though.

I get the feeling it's better played on a console as even aiming with the mouse seems easier, headshots still aren't a one shot kill unless you hit them in the upper portion of the head. Sometimes it took 2-3. Enjoyed it a lot and will be buying it but not sure if I want it for PC or PS4 /Xbox one X.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I enjoyed it! It didn't "bring me back" per say as it's not a remake but more of a rebuild of the original. It's not completely different, but enough for it to be not just a rerun and keep you on edge. Can't wait to get to use the rocket launcher. I hope they bring back those easter eggs when you can start with it after beating the game on extreme difficulty. Some of the rooms in the game made me think about if they were in the 1st game and I am pretty sure they weren't.

Reactions: happy medium

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just out of curiosity since it's been ages that I've played the original..will it be over in 3hrs? I have no issues paying full price as I liked what I saw but I was annoyed with people speed running the game on YouTube, at least the demo.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Just out of curiosity since it's been ages that I've played the original..will it be over in 3hrs? I have no issues paying full price as I liked what I saw but I was annoyed with people speed running the game on YouTube, at least the demo.

They mentioned over 6+ hours of gameplay per character. There are also rumors of scenario based gaming when the game actually changes depending on your choices. So its +1 alter play through for each character.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They mentioned over 6+ hours of gameplay per character. There are also rumors of scenario based gaming when the game actually changes depending on your choices. So its +1 alter play through for each character.
Oh nice sounds like it will be interesting. Well I will be picking it up when it comes out. I really like that it has ultrawide support at least for the game pay portion. The cutscenes still have black bars on the sides but that didn't really stract from anything.

Digital foundry did a good analyses of the demo here:

The use of direct X 12 still needs work but the game's warning about playing at the max preset and using all your vram seems to be false. I was able to play it at max settings at my resolution with fps over 100 in some areas. In the full game I'll probably disable a lot of the processing effects like motion blur and the film grain as I'm not a fan of those.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've started it so far. Was kind of dissapointed that I read Mr. X chases you all the way around. But I also figured out it is not for the whole game and only certain parts. I have it on PC and the graphics are all on Max but it still looks washed out. I switched from srgb to rec 709 in display options but I don't think that does anything, it's still pretty dark and washed out.

Last edited:

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Seems to be the brightness or gamma correction in the game. Maybe a simple driver fix or patch will help in the future.

I am liking the game very much. It does a masterful job recreating the game without making it feel like a complete repeat. It does miss that old music score. I am shocked they did not include it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What I think works for the brightness and gamma is if you set display to srgb in display settings, then calibrate the min and Max and overall brightness like the game instructs you to on those screens.

Then turn off screen space reflections. It should look decent enough now. Still not as bright and colorful as the YouTube streams show it but good enough. I turned off motion blur because I hate it, and also turned off film grain because those options also annoy me.

The zombies are tanks and I hate how Mr. X shows up sometimes at the same time there are enemies in your path and you can't take them down because they take a lot of bullets...so I guess I'll just die then lol.

He makes this game more of a chore because once he shows up you feel rushed and I kind of wanted to take my time and explore, enjoy it. I heard the original he only showed up in scenario B and you could get stuff by taking him down. But it's been years since I played the original, I think it was on the N64 that I played it because the streets in the beginning and police station as well as the gun shop gave me those memories of that game.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Nice! I am really loving this game. It has a lot of replay ability, the visuals are some of the best ive scene (minus the gamma issue if brightness is too high) and it really does take me back a little. It's the first game in a long time I could actually play to the finish and want more. It almost saddens me that after RE3 or maybe even RE4 they took a turn for cliche action game mechanics and quick time effects. Maybe they will go back to its roots and create a whole new timeline based on horror survival.