Resetting once a second.

CruiseFiveOne

Sep 16, 2012
I have a computer that's resetting every second... Literally. When It is powered-on it continually spins up the fans, hdds, lights leds on the motherboard, chasis, and then cuts dead. All within one second over and over and over until power is removed. First impression was that something may have been shorting out . I've swapped out many of the parts and it still does the same. Only things left are the motherboard and power supply, no spares to swap though. Any Ideas??? If I'm stuck buying new hardware do I get the PSU or motherboard first? Thanks.
Specs:
X6 Thubian
MSI 870A Fusion
Crossfire HD 5750s
3 Hitachi HDDs
2 Mushkin ddr3 dimms
OCZ 600 watt PSU

CruiseFiveOne

Sep 16, 2012
Not at the moment. I took the PSU apart and found a leaking capacitor... I'd guess that is the problem. I think I'll buy a new PSU and try again. Hopefully the motherboard is fine.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
If this problem suddenly started, then yes problem solved, Grab the 600w PSU and your good to go. I doubt the CPU is dead or RAM is bad. Enjoy your new PSU and new rig. gl

CruiseFiveOne

Sep 16, 2012
^ I hate rebates. I was looking at a 700w Silverstone for $73. Would that be good? I want it to be very quiet.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
The rebate is just $10, even without it the PCP is a good deal. I'm not so sure if it makes much difference whether the PSU is super quiet or not if the rest of your build isn't geared towards quietness. In any case the PCP is quiet unless you really stress it. At common loads you'll be fine.

Which Silverstone is that? You don't really need a 700W unit anyway, 600W is already "future proof" enough (bear in mind though that power consumption tends to go down these days).