Reservists, National Guard Troops Rethink Reenlistment

Jan 12, 2003
..as they should; no more backing up to the mailbox collecting a check.

This guy's mom is making me question whether he should want him in the service.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So, this mother is getting bent out of shape because her son enlisted to be a soldier....... and he's being sent off to be a soldier?!

Idiots. Did they think they'd be able to choose the "Mess Cook" line when signing up something? Puhleeeeeez.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: kage69
So, this mother is getting bent out of shape because her son enlisted to be a soldier....... and he's being sent off to be a soldier?!

Idiots. Did they think they'd be able to choose the "Mess Cook" line when signing up something? Puhleeeeeez.

Maybe you didn't make it all the way down to the first two paragraphs in the article.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Tabb
Idiots thinking they can just goto college free...

Umm, no. Read the article, notice how they expected to serve in times of Natural Disaster and other Domestic crisis. It is my understanding that the National Guard was intended as a Domestic force, not a foreign one(could be wrong about that, but it seems that those in it think that way).

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski

Umm, no. Read the article, notice how they expected to serve in times of Natural Disaster and other Domestic crisis. It is my understanding that the National Guard was intended as a Domestic force, not a foreign one(could be wrong about that, but it seems that those in it think that way).

doesnt matter what they expected, when they signed up (unless they could not read) they knew damm well what they were getting into potentially. I'm not going to feel sorry for them just because they thought they could skate through it easy like previous generations might have.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Lucky

doesnt matter what they expected, when they signed up (unless they could not read) they knew damm well what they were getting into potentially. I'm not going to feel sorry for them just because they thought they could skate through it easy like previous generations might have.

Agreed.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Did you get down to the first two paragraphs of the article? The "don't worry" part specifically.

Do you support the idea of misleading or false advertising?

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

The Army National Guard in Vietnam

National Guard in Thailand - 1970

National Guard Rotations to Germany - 1967-1977

The Army National Guard in Desert Storm - 1991

Maryland ARNG in Sinai (1994)

There ain't no pity in the city. Its hard but fair.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: flavio

Did you get down to the first two paragraphs of the article? The "don't worry" part specifically.

do you believe every word a scared and worried mom says when she is trying to draw attention to her cause? do you believe that not reading the terms and conditions of signing up for a hostile job means you should not have to perform the job when called upon?

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

do you believe every word a scared and worried mom says when she is trying to draw attention to her cause? do you believe that not reading the terms and conditions of signing up for a hostile job means you should not have to perform the job when called upon?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

Nope I dont, the recruiter is a ass for saying they would never go but what can you do about it? She was stupid enough to think he was telling the truth :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: burnedout

The Army National Guard in Vietnam

National Guard in Thailand - 1970

National Guard Rotations to Germany - 1967-1977

The Army National Guard in Desert Storm - 1991

Maryland ARNG in Sinai (1994)

There ain't no pity in the city. Its hard but fair.

I stand corrected. It would seem though, that many who join probably think of it as I did.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
It all comes out in the wash in a way. When I was active duty I signed up to fight wars for my county, but on occasion we got deployed to provide manpower for hurricane disaster relief, fighting forest fires, etc. I thought that was the job of the National Guard! Oh well we are the Armed Forces of the United States and serve as ordered by our superiors.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Elements of the Maryland National Guard were on Omaha Beach. The Guard and Reserves have a much more integrated role in today's military, as the article stated.

I feel bad for Mom, but those are the breaks, lady, and I wouldn't trust a recruiter to tell my mom the truth anymore than I would trust that weaselly SOB salesman at my last job.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: sward666
Elements of the Maryland National Guard were on Omaha Beach. The Guard and Reserves have a much more integrated role in today's military, as the article stated.

I feel bad for Mom, but those are the breaks, lady, and I wouldn't trust a recruiter to tell my mom the truth anymore than I would trust that weaselly SOB salesman at my last job.

Now that I didn't know. I will look upon MD National Guardsmen with much more reverence now, as it's my home state.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Oh, and I think the President had a constitutional right to deploy the reserves overseas, just as this reservist has every right to not reenlist.
If reserve is routinely used for overseas duty, people won't enlist as much for obvious reasons. If they wanted to be deployed all the time, they would enlist in regular forces, not the reserves.
Also, I think National Guard should be used for guarding the nation, not fighting in Iraq.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Oh, and I think the President had a constitutional right to deploy the reserves overseas, just as this reservist has every right to not reenlist.
Also very true, and if he chooses not to reenlist, he will have done his duty, which is more than many of us can say, myself included.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What I wonder is if this is a protracted occupation, wouldn't this be a disincentive for enlistment? This assumes one is not overly fond of sand of course.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I get done with nearly two years of deployment as an Army Reservist this Thursday. I can tell you that it's been a long, hard road even though I've been stateside the entire time, 15 miles from home, sleeping in my own bed at night. However, why else would the National Guard teach you to shoot a rifle if all you're gonna do is clean up natural disasters? What? Do bullets stop tornadoes now? C'mon, these guys knew what they were in for and they did it anyway. It's a tiring, sometimes thankless job that takes away most of your personal freedoms just so you can give those same freedoms to some other lowlife ass in a country that doesn't respect our freedoms in the first place. It's too bad these people don't like their jobs, but get over it, it was your decision after all.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I know that all the Port Security Units deployed (including the one at Gitmo Bay) are all Coast Guard Reserve Units that go on for 6 months.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Why wasn't Texas Air Nationa Guard in Viet-Nam?

They took a right at Albuquerque, and ran out of gas over a ranch in Mustang Nevada. Those compasses can be hard to read when you're drunk.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
When the huge reduction of forces occured through the 1990's, it was planned all along to use the reserves and guard units to supplement the active forces in the event of war. They learned the hard way during Gulf War 1 that those units were terribly under trained, poorly equipped, and not ready for war. So since that time they have completely restructured those units, concentrated for wartime training and maintaining a true READY RESERVE, with modern equipment. They recruited many of those soldiers they were cutting out of the active service to fill in the gaps and improve the quality of the force. You cant have your cake and eat it too. Huge reductions of active forces have to be compensated for. You cant expect to suddenly train 100000 or more new recruits for war on a moments notice. Lessons learned from past wars like Korea where our soldiers were being slaughtered early on due to poor rushed training.