• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Reselling a PC: Should I pre-install Windows 10 Home

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I have a PC that I want to resell with Windows 10 Home retail operating system. Should I pre-install Windows 10 Home for the future owner of the PC with a user account named "new user" and install all the drivers (to make things more convenient for the future owner of the PC)? Rather, should I not pre-install Windows 10 Home for the future owner but still include it with the PC and that's up to them to install it and just leave the SSD unpartitioned and unformatted? Also is there a way to pre-install Window 10 Home in the same way manufacturers do with their pre-built PCs, for example the new owner is greeted with a Windows 10 Home introductory setup as the boot up the PC? I tried this by powering down once it showed to enter the region of the PC in the Windows setup, but then I got a message saying something like "last time your PC as been interrupted by being powered down" and then does a restart, but I don't want the future owner to see that message. I want Windows 10 Home to be pre-installed like the manufacturers do it with their PCs.

Last edited:

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Heya,

I would start the machine with win 10 and if it works, just wipe it, and do a fresh install and let them boot it up as if it were brand new out of the box. Let them do the user and activation, etc. Throw them the key. The *feel* is a lot more like they got something new and not just someone's renamed PC.

Very best,

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
and let them boot it up as if it were brand new out of the box.
I think that's what the OP is asking. You can't do that with just the Win10 MCT installer USB. You actually need to install Win10 using the "Windows pre-installation OEM kit". Which is a separate DVD in the physical Windows OEM edition packages.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
when i do a computer for someone, i set it up with just a local account, and usually have the name of it as the processor, or if it is a name brand, the brand name. they can log in a with a Microsoft account if they want to, or leave it as a local account

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ASK THE COMMUNITY