Researchers get approval for potential HIV vaccine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
It may but it could also be argued that HIV/AIDS is contributing to the poverty issues in Africa.

You have the obvious health care cost implications but you also have to consider the impact to families when income earners are afflicted and die as a result. Families may end up without income earners, children will abandon schooling to attempt to assist the family with finances and you also have situations where other family members will bring in additional dependent(s) due to the passing of a parent/parents.

This is all actually well documented in Africa.

I believe that is what I stated.:\

The rest of his post is trolling:thumbsdown:

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Watched Contagion the other night, and after seeing that movie, made me think of the time it takes for FDA approval. 5 years seems like a pretty long time before something like this becomes available. If AIDS/HIV were more contagious and lethal, would it take as long to get this out to start inoculating the public?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
It may but it could also be argued that HIV/AIDS is contributing to the poverty issues in Africa.

You have the obvious health care cost implications but you also have to consider the impact to families when income earners are afflicted and die as a result. Families may end up without income earners, children will abandon schooling to attempt to assist the family with finances and you also have situations where other family members will bring in additional dependent(s) due to the passing of a parent/parents.

This is all actually well documented in Africa.

you may have found a correllation... but you have foun d the anti-causation...

poverty causes rape, which causes the spread of aids.
Aids does not cause rape, which does not cause the spread of poverty.

while not many completely agree on all the factors of why africa is poor, there are 2 which are undeniably self inflicted... corruption and poor leadership.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I hope it does work. Some folks have brought up Africa, but the country in the most trouble is Russia. HIV is become a very serious epidemic. While infection rates continue to decline all over the world, infections is Russia continue to rise by double digits. So I hope we can find a vaccine for it. We have learned to manage the disease, but unfortunately we haven't been able to find a way to stop the new infections.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
Awesome gg Canada, humanity thanks you. Hopefully it will eventually be eradicated like smallpox was back in the day.

Hurry up already. I'm sick of using condoms. Free love baby!

lol don't we all wish but there's still too much stuff floating around :) And that whole baby thing. Can't wait for male birth control.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
you may have found a correllation... but you have foun d the anti-causation...

poverty causes rape, which causes the spread of aids.
Aids does not cause rape, which does not cause the spread of poverty.

while not many completely agree on all the factors of why africa is poor, there are 2 which are undeniably self inflicted... corruption and poor leadership.
There are reports of sex with virgins being a cure for AIDS. I would assume in most cases that rape is involved, not consensual sex.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I hope it does work. Some folks have brought up Africa, but the country in the most trouble is Russia. HIV is become a very serious epidemic. While infection rates continue to decline all over the world, infections is Russia continue to rise by double digits. So I hope we can find a vaccine for it. We have learned to manage the disease, but unfortunately we haven't been able to find a way to stop the new infections.
Russians are profoundly retarded. They never use condoms. This is why Russia has a ridiculously high abortion rate.

Let them die. They're not poor like Africans. They could easily buy condoms, but they choose not to. They deserve to die after making such poor choices.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Russians are profoundly retarded. They never use condoms. This is why Russia has a ridiculously high abortion rate.

Let them die. They're not poor like Africans. They could easily buy condoms, but they choose not to. They deserve to die after making such poor choices.

Are you serious too?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
There are reports of sex with virgins being a cure for AIDS. I would assume in most cases that rape is involved, not consensual sex.

I have read many stories about very young girls being raped because the guy thought it would cure his aids.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Self inflicted? As in the peoples fault? Are you serious? You might be able to pull up a couple of African countries in which that holds true but the really fucked up places are usually ran by warlords. If you try to stand up to them they do some of the most horrific things I have ever heard of to you, your family, and your entire village.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Cures for diseases are always a good thing (provided the cure is not a bullet to the head or something dumb like that).

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
What will be the next big gay disease?

Perhaps you can tell us what the FIRST big gay disease is, douche bag.

Worldwide, AIDS is predominantly a heterosexual disease. Guess they didn't teach you that in bigot school.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Perhaps you can tell us what the FIRST big gay disease is, douche bag.

Worldwide, AIDS is predominantly a heterosexual disease. Guess they didn't teach you that in bigot school.

1. I think he was being sarcastic.
2. Didn't it start out as primarily a gay disease?
3. In North America, isn't it still much more common in the gay population?

I'm pretty sure he was making fun of all the ultra-conservatives who call AIDS the disease from God to punish the gays etc...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
1. I think he was being sarcastic.
2. Didn't it start out as primarily a gay disease?
3. In North America, isn't it still much more common in the gay population?

I'm pretty sure he was making fun of all the ultra-conservatives who call AIDS the disease from God to punish the gays etc...

From what I read, they traced the origins of AIDS in the US to a gay flight attendant. In most of the word, AIDS is just a sexual disease - it strikes all who are not monogamous (or who are sleeping with someone who is not) evenly.

That flight attendant, being gay, passed the disease into the gay community in the US and Canada after a return flight time from Europe and Africa.

This is why the US mainly sees it as a gay disease and the rest of the world does not. It does not matter, though, since all diseases should be wiped out.

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010

Well said. I do not like my neighbors.

Jan 25, 2011
From what I read, they traced the origins of AIDS in the US to a gay flight attendant. In most of the word, AIDS is just a sexual disease - it strikes all who are not monogamous (or who are sleeping with someone who is not) evenly.

That flight attendant, being gay, passed the disease into the gay community in the US and Canada after a return flight time from Europe and Africa.

This is why the US mainly sees it as a gay disease and the rest of the world does not. It does not matter, though, since all diseases should be wiped out.

An absolute nonsense theory that was not based in fact. It references Ga&#235;tan Dugas. Problem is HIV/AIDS had spread long before he began his career. Thank the book And the Band Played On for that one.

Robert Rayford is the first confirmed AIDS death in North America and that was in 1969.

Last edited:

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Self inflicted? As in the peoples fault? Are you serious? You might be able to pull up a couple of African countries in which that holds true but the really fucked up places are usually ran by warlords. If you try to stand up to them they do some of the most horrific things I have ever heard of to you, your family, and your entire village.

i believe you dont understand the meaning of self inflicted...

So... the root of the african nations is... russia's fault? America's? France's?

No... the root of the problems in africa is africa's fault?
Why? you answered your own question...
Corrupt dictators/leaders who only do whats best for themselves and not the country.

it may be on a national scale...but I still believe that means it is SELF INFLICTED...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
An absolute nonsense theory that was not based in fact. It references Gaëtan Dugas. Problem is HIV/AIDS had spread long before he began his career. Thank the book And the Band Played On for that one.

Robert Rayford is the first confirmed AIDS death in North America and that was in 1969.

I read it a long time ago, at that time it may have been the predominant theory. It made sense, at least.

No matter the way it spread to the US, it is obvious it entered the gay community first, which is why it appears to be a gay disease in the US...though that is changing as it strikes deeper into the straight community.

Still, it should be cured, even if it was a 100% gay disease only with no way for straight people to get it.

Jan 25, 2011
Figured since it's nothing but election threads i'd update this old one with a news release today from the University of Western Ontario.

Human trials have been performed with no adverse effects. Very promising for this vaccine.

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/11/06/preliminary-results-of-westerns-hiv-vaccine-released-tuesday

The first and only preventative HIV vaccine based on a genetically modified killed whole-virus has been making steady progress in Phase I Clinical Trials in the United States and the interim results are being analyzed in preparation for the next steps.

Developed by Dr. Chil-Yong Kang and his team at Western University's Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, with the support of Sumagen Canada, the vaccine (SAV001-H) holds tremendous promise for success in the final phases of clinical testing now that the first hurdle has been accomplished.

It is the only HIV vaccine currently under development in Canada, and one of only a few in the world.

The first human applied clinical study (SAV CT 01) using a genetically modified killed whole-virus vaccine (SAV001-H) to evaluate its safety and tolerability was initiated in March 2012. This study is a randomized, observer-blinded, placebo-controlled study of killed whole HIV-1 vaccine (SAV001-H) following intramuscular (IM) administration.