Researcher, American professor behind baby gene editing claims now under investigation

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...cher-american-under-investigation/2123132002/

A Chinese researcher claiming to have led a team that genetically edited human babies is now under investigation, as well as an American professor who might have helped him.

He Jiankui, an associate professor at Shenzhen's Southern University of Science and Technology of China, revealed his gene editing work on Monday to an organizer of an international conference on gene editing in Hong Kong. He told the Associated Press he altered the DNA of twin girls born this month to resist HIV and AIDS virus. He said he's altered embryos for seven couples in fertility treatments, but only had one pregnancy result.

This will be the future, but, its going to get messy. We can't unlearn what we know, and anyone willing to do this will give an advantage to their offspring. This will create a gap between those that can afford modifications, and those that cannot.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Well the genes are out of the bottle now.
GHnapSz.gif

(Assuming it’s true)

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Well the genes are out of the bottle now.
GHnapSz.gif

(Assuming it’s true)

I almost made the pun, but I thought no, people already dislike me enough. But here we are. It would have cost you nothing to not type those words, but you did anyway.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Now you are rapping. Today is a sad day for humanity.

On a more serious note, this will be the future. Gaps are going to widen in ways that will upset people.
It’s not quite there yet but it does suggest in the future the well off could pay to have genetic diseases removed from their progeny and possibly have beneficial traits enhanced.

However before that can happen more refined version of CRISPR would be required as well as a greater understanding of how traits arise from the interplay of genetics and the in vitro environment. Until then this will be limited to simpler genetic editing.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It’s not quite there yet but it does suggest in the future the well off could pay to have genetic diseases removed from their progeny and possibly have beneficial traits enhanced.

However before that can happen more refined version of CRISPR would be required as well as a greater understanding of how traits arise from the interplay of genetics and the in vitro environment. Until then this will be limited to simpler genetic editing.

Its troubling because there is an obvious benefit to doing this, and yet, an equally if not more danger to it. IQ being so linked to biology could be increased, health conditions would be reduced. Aids has the potential to be a thing of the past completely. Yet, I fear what could be done by countries like China.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Its troubling because there is an obvious benefit to doing this, and yet, an equally if not more danger to it. IQ being so linked to biology could be increased, health conditions would be reduced. Aids has the potential to be a thing of the past completely. Yet, I fear what could be done by countries like China.

Yup. If a large portion of the population gets the same genetic fixes what does that mean for genetic diversity and susceptibility to unforeseen genetic illnesses.

Also if the 1% all get a 20pt IQ shift to the right in their bell curve and the least athletic is equivalent to a high school track star good luck to the other 99% competing in anything.

To quote XKCD on the scale of “Whoa Cool” to “This has profound implications for technology and society” (Also known as the Mythbusters / Black Mirror scale) this is a lot closer to profound implications.

Although again the worst of the possible outcomes is still a few breakthroughs away.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yup. If a large portion of the population gets the same genetic fixes what does that mean for genetic diversity and susceptibility to unforeseen genetic illnesses.

Also if the 1% all get a 20pt IQ shift to the right in their bell curve and the least athletic is equivalent to a high school track star good luck to the other 99% competing in anything.

To quote XKCD on the scale of “Whoa Cool” to “This has profound implications for technology and society” (Also known as the Mythbusters / Black Mirror scale) this is a lot closer to profound implications.

Although again the worst of the possible outcomes is still a few breakthroughs away.

The IQ shift I think would have huge implications. IQ helps you solve many problems, but, opens up a whole new set of issues. IQ is not personality, so what happens when you point that at the problem of "how do I kill people?"...

Everything I can think of is more dystopian than I would like.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Agreed. Gene editing is akin to nuclear power. Could be great. Could also be the end of all things. Odd that they were able to do it. Would have thought all sorts of research boards would block this sort of thing.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Agreed. Gene editing is akin to nuclear power. Could be great. Could also be the end of all things. Odd that they were able to do it. Would have thought all sorts of research boards would block this sort of thing.

You can never really block this though. The technology is getting researched and there will be people that want to try it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Yup. If a large portion of the population gets the same genetic fixes what does that mean for genetic diversity and susceptibility to unforeseen genetic illnesses

If people have a defective gene and it's corrected then we've done nothing but make them "normal". Not having a gene for blindness isn't going to be harmful in any way if it's fixed to be like yours or mine. We don't get diseases as a result, but the technology is too uncertain. No one can guarantee that one individual's genetics won't get altered elsewhere. Later? That's when we can stop being concerned if THE EXACT GENE and only that gene is repaired.

That's what will happen. The more money the better the offspring. The Purple Ruling Class, the Party Leaders.

The tools just need to be refined, the basics are in place. Regarding this guy in China, I think a prison is a good place for him. While fixing simple things can be done there is nothing specific guaranteed to prevent unintended consequences elsewhere as I've already mentioned. Things needed to be tested on rats and the like for generations to see if there is divergence especially if multiple genes are targeted. Hell, even eye color is complicated.

Dystopian futures? Well we can end wars and conflict. All we need to is make people docile and compliant to our leaders. A well-ordered society of drones.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If people have a defective gene and it's corrected then we've done nothing but make them "normal". Not having a gene for blindness isn't going to be harmful in any way if it's fixed to be like yours or mine. We don't get diseases as a result, but the technology is too uncertain. No one can guarantee that one individual's genetics won't get altered elsewhere. Later? That's when we can stop being concerned if THE EXACT GENE and only that gene is repaired.

That's what will happen. The more money the better the offspring. The Purple Ruling Class, the Party Leaders.

The tools just need to be refined, the basics are in place. Regarding this guy in China, I think a prison is a good place for him. While fixing simple things can be done there is nothing specific guaranteed to prevent unintended consequences elsewhere as I've already mentioned. Things needed to be tested on rats and the like for generations to see if there is divergence especially if multiple genes are targeted. Hell, even eye color is complicated.

Dystopian futures? Well we can end wars and conflict. All we need to is make people docile and compliant to our leaders. A well-ordered society of drones.

Genetics seem to have a big influence on personality. Would it be okay to modify genes that are linked to anger (if one is found)? We also need to define defective. The gene that creates the predisposition toward sickle cell also has the benefit of fighting off malaria. Is that defective?

This opens up so many more questions.