Research Paper

UbiSunt

Oct 1, 2004
I'm finishing my Master's program this semester but I needed a few more hours so I am taking a Recent America course. I am considering writing historically upon certain aspects of video games since it appears very little exists on the subject. Anyway, I'm basically asking for help from the AT's and for useful opinions on topics that ya'll think are important. And yes I am a moderate gamer. Some issues:

-Does anyone know of good secondary sources concerning video games or gamer culture? Historical works, not journalism.

-What topics do you think deserve the greatest historical attention?

Possible topics that will be explored:
-To what degree does a generation gap exist between post-video game generations (gen x) and pre-video game generations (your parents)? If so, what and why.

- What is your opinion on the governments role in regulating games' content? Have they succeeded in any way? If not, why did they fail?

-Why have Democrats such as Senator Lieberman quit actively pursuing video game regulation? Was that simply a fad after Columbine or do you think they fear being cast as Republicans?

- I'm considering incorporating Peter Novick's The Holocaust in American Life into a study of why Nazi's make such omnipresent villians in video games for Americans when their actual historical impact upon Americans, especially young Americans is minimal (if existent).

Anyway, some of these questions are obviously rhetorical but I really want to know from any gamers, especially gamers interested in history; what do you think is important? And more importantly, why? Any titles of good secondary sources or suggestions for research are greatly appreciated.