Requesting ideas for getting a new PC built

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I like shopping for the just-right components, for assembly into a nice gaming PC.

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to assembling it, and buying a system is annoying for a variety of reasons from worse value to less good components etc.

Big chain service prices are silly high.

How do others resolve this - I assume the 'find a nerd who wants the money' is one reasonable option... anyone know of others?

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think most people who for some reason don't want to go to Dell or HP or Gateway or IBM, but can't do the research to find all the parts themselves, or for whatever reason could do that but not assemble it, would either find a friend/relative who can do what they can't, or would go find a local PC shop who can advise them and build it and test it. This gives them some peace of mind that at least there's some support if there's a problem.

Local PC shops do still have higher prices than if you bought the parts online though. Their pre-designed systems aren't a great value, but I've not done a lot of comparing to see how they are compared to OEMs or the big-name custom places.

There are plenty of small-brand pre-built systems that you can get online that aren't big OEM brands, but are at least probably better than the prices from a local shop. But then you lose the local help. There are also lots of smaller custom-build shops online that might not be local, but can essentially build you a system using the parts you want, for not terribly more money than it would cost to order the parts yourself. That's how I got my first custom PC, a Cyrix 6x86 P166+. :)

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
I wouldn't go with a person that's not a store. If your computer breaks down 6 months from now... or if he breaks your part while building it, you're up ******'s creek.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Talcite
I wouldn't go with a person that's not a store. If your computer breaks down 6 months from now... or if he breaks your part while building it, you're up ******'s creek.

Based on the seller's name I think Bamacre will vouchfor him.