Requesting build advice: can I go mATX?

Avogadro

Jan 5, 2011
Hello everyone,

My 2011-era video card (GTX 570) died yesterday and since my entire system is over 5 years old, I've decided to build a new system from scratch. Let me start by answering the recommended questions.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I work from home full time (typing, spreadsheets, internet) so need a reliable system. Plus I do some gaming (FPS, some MMO-type games, and RPGs). I am not a professional-level gamer though.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
For what I want I'm thinking around $1,200 should get the job done, can go as high as $1,500 though.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA. I am fortunate enough to have a Micro Center within short driving distance.

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
N/A

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
I've had good luck with the Intel/nVidia combos in the past and would prefer to stick with them in this build. Again, reliability matters a lot to me so working with parts I have experience with will be reassuring. :)

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
My power supply died a month ago so I replaced it with a Corsair CX650M. I plan to keep that, otherwise going all new.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Yes, I'll overclock but will not push it too far (did I mention I like reliable? lol). Whatever I can get with a good air cooler will be fine with me.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
Currently 1920x1200, might move up to 1440 though.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
This weekend, if I can get everything I need at Micro Center, otherwise as soon as all the parts show up in the mail.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
I will be upgrading to Windows 10.

After reading some of the recent threads and build recommendations here, I think an i5-6600k and GTX 1070 would be a good foundation for my system. My real question is: would it be possible to put that hardware into an mATX-sized case, along with all the other stuff I'd need (SSD, storage HD, routing the cables to power everything up, etc), and have space for everything to fit without cooling issues? The reason I ask is that I could reclaim some desk space with a smaller case (my current system is in an old Antec 900). What would be some good mATX mobo and case options?

If that won't work, I'd appreciate any other general recommendations on keeping my "footprint" on the smaller side with a full ATX-sized case.

Thanks!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My first thought is to suggest that you check the length of the graphics card to see whether the case you have in mind will house it. Even if it fits (don't forget extra room for power connectors as well as cables that probably need to go around the card such as SATA), an ATX case will probably give you more room.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Unless you are going ITX I don't see much benefit in a mInitowe case. Are you that short for desk space?

Avogadro

Jan 5, 2011
I can put my new rig where my old one is (on top of my desk) where it really won't be in the way. However, the lower height of an mATX case would let me stash it under the desk and reclaim a couple of square feet. But it's more of a nice-to-have than a must have.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You should be fine with a decent MicroATX case. The better ones can handle long video cards with no problems. Just read the specs carefully.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
After reading some of the recent threads and build recommendations here, I think an i5-6600k and GTX 1070 would be a good foundation for my system. My real question is: would it be possible to put that hardware into an mATX-sized case, along with all the other stuff I'd need (SSD, storage HD, routing the cables to power everything up, etc), and have space for everything to fit without cooling issues?

Absolutely. Silverstone PS07B, Cooler Master N200, and Fractal Arc Mini are all excellent mATX cases that will keep virtually any build you put in them cool. Most GPU's will fit. I've owned two of the three cases and think, bang for the buck, the N200 is sweet.

Avogadro

Jan 5, 2011