Request for TAC - add new project - theSkyNet

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I set up the team with founder RT. As soon as TAC sets up TAC user, they can ask me to transfer ownership.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I'm wondering what is the difference between this and SETI is. Just joined the team and waiting for work to be downloaded

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I'm wondering what is the difference between this and SETI is. Just joined the team and waiting for work to be downloaded

Other purpose: Seti searches for a signal from "ET", this project is much more astronomical research ...
... physical parameters (such as stellar mass surface density, star formation rate surface density, attenuation, and first-order star formation history) on a resolved pixel-by-pixel basis using spectral energy distribution (SED) fitting techniques in a distributed computing mode.
Other observations, other "input": not only radio signals but optical and spectral data and thus other output ... :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I am just looking through the site - it is wonderful! Just check out the science threads of the message boards - not many, but so interesting! E.g.
Check these three threads. Then click on any thread, and in the thread on the SINBAD-link. Scroll down to the "plots and Images" section and click e.g. the Aladin-applet. You can get so much information about those galaxies: optical pics, infra-red, ultraviolet pics, radio maps etc. You can zoom or expand, rotate, look up the literature, etc.
This is just wonderful!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Well, that was quick! From the site:
Testing pause
Thanks for you help on this so far. We're now looking at the results to make sure they make sense before we put out more galaxies.

Glad I got four WUs when I did!

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I am just looking through the site - it is wonderful! Just check out the science threads of the message boards - not many, but so interesting! E.g.
Check these three threads. Then click on any thread, and in the thread on the SINBAD-link. Scroll down to the "plots and Images" section and click e.g. the Aladin-applet. You can get so much information about those galaxies: optical pics, infra-red, ultraviolet pics, radio maps etc. You can zoom or expand, rotate, look up the literature, etc.
This is just wonderful!

Check out the ones you have helped crunch. There is a small rectangle to show the part you worked on. Very sweet!

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Keep us updated on this project. I would love to start crunching on this. Going to try to add it now.

EDIT: Added, and they have work units available.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I know that feeling well!

When I look at the pictures, I can feel the wheels turning.
When I read the words, I find out the hamsters are dead.

LoL! Exactly the feeling! spooky, isn't it? :D
Going out with a shovel, a lot of hamsters to bury. ():)

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Is no one else worried about it being called "SkyNet" and it using our computing cycles? No one else feels this strange paranoia?

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Is no one else worried about it being called "SkyNet" and it using our computing cycles? No one else feels this strange paranoia?

I'm not getting this. I think I need to resuscitate a hamster.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
With the help of one groggy hamster and Wikipedia, I find a movie reference.

I already understood pogs. Those were milk-bottle caps when I was a lad of nine and tasted fresh milk for the first time.