Repuiblicans continue their campaign to disenfranchize minority voters, working in AZ

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
ONLY REPUBLICANS make voting changes that inevitability put barriers for minorities to vote.

Again why ONLY Maricopa county. If they reduced polling places by 70% statewide I would agree with you

What difference does it make? It's just a primary.

Since both Dems and Repubs vote at the same places, meaning the same number of polling places for each, what would be the point? Were they trying to give Hillary or Sanders an advantage?

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I used to be able walk in and vote in less than 5 minutes in Oklahoma. Now because of the stupid voter ID law, I had to wait an hour to vote in the primaries at 2pm. This is in the wealthiest and one of the whitest zip codes in the state. The laws serve no purpose but to disenfranchise voters. Before the ID laws, I never heard about long lines anywhere, now the are the norm every where, especially in the inner cities.

If a state wants to make you show ID, they should go to electronic rolls and just scan the ID.

How in the hell does the voter ID law operate to make voting take so much longer?

I'm in NC. We just implemented a voter ID law and it added zero additional time to voting. How could your state screw this up so bad?

Fern

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What difference does it make? It's just a primary.

Since both Dems and Repubs vote at the same places, meaning the same number of polling places for each, what would be the point? Were they trying to give Hillary or Sanders an advantage?

Fern

What difference does it make? How about NO ONE should be disenfranchised when voting, Democrat or Republican.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I used to be able walk in and vote in less than 5 minutes in Oklahoma. Now because of the stupid voter ID law, I had to wait an hour to vote in the primaries at 2pm. This is in the wealthiest and one of the whitest zip codes in the state. The laws serve no purpose but to disenfranchise voters. Before the ID laws, I never heard about long lines anywhere, now the are the norm every where, especially in the inner cities.

If a state wants to make you show ID, they should go to electronic rolls and just scan the ID.

Just opt for a mail in ballot, fill it out and stick it in the mail in box on election day.

Most states have a spot for that, you do not have to mail it in ahead of time.

If you're registered legally to begin with in most states you can just have it mailed to you prior to that.

You can look over things on the ballot well prior to voting, and save time waiting in any lines.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
What difference does it make? How about NO ONE should be disenfranchised when voting, Democrat or Republican.

But independents should be disenfranchised?

You know they couldn't vote in the AZ primary? It's a closed primary.

Voting for the candidate of a political party is that party's business. Heck, many parties don't even have a vote.

This wasn't a general election. The two shouldn't be confused.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Maybe you should take your foot out of your mouth. Or just keep your blinders on.

http://wncn.com/2016/03/14/multiple-races-at-stake-tuesday-in-north-carolina-primary/

WTH are you talking about? Here in NC Dems and Repubs vote at the same locations. I.e., we all have the same number of polling places.

Also in NC, it's up to the local county board of elections to administer voter precincts and places. If any county didn't have enough places it's on them.

Fern

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
But independents should be disenfranchised?

You know they couldn't vote in the AZ primary? It's a closed primary.

Voting for the candidate of a political party is that party's business. Heck, many parties don't even have a vote.

This wasn't a general election. The two shouldn't be confused.

Fern

What are you talking about?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ndependents-can-vote-in-the-primary/12841669/

Independents will need to take an extra step. The independent party is not recognized, which has resulted in a misconception that those voters are not qualified to vote in the primary election.
This is not the case.
Much of this confusion was brought on when the Legislature voted to move municipal elections to the fall cycle.
But independents are absolutely eligible to participate, and we encourage you to do so.
Those not affiliated with any political party will not automatically receive a ballot. Voters have a choice: They simply need to respond to the postcard they receive requesting a "city-only" ballot or a partisan ballot of their choice for that election only.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
WTH are you talking about? Here in NC Dems and Repubs vote at the same locations. I.e., we all have the same number of polling places.

Also in NC, it's up to the local county board of elections to administer voter precincts and places. If any county didn't have enough places it's on them.

Fern

You are backtracking. Go ahead and keep that foot in your mouth.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Fern

I wonder what the ratio of voters to polling places is in more Republican leaning areas vs more Democratic ones.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

:facepalm:

Jeebus, take a look at the AZ state election site: http://www.azsos.gov/elections/voting-election/election-information

Can independent voters cast a vote in the presidential preference election?

No, only voters registered with a participating political party may vote in the PPE.

Your link is referring to other ballot issues (not choosing a primary candidate, or more accurately, who the state's delegates must support at the Dem or Repub convention) or getting temporarily registered as a Dem or Repub, meaning they are not independent.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I wonder what the ratio of voters to polling places is in more Republican leaning areas vs more Democratic ones.

You quoted my post on NC rules thus it appears your are referring to NC rules. My question is what difference does it make? It's up to the counties. If a Dem controlled county wants to have limited polling places, that's on the Dems.

Fern

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
:facepalm:

Jeebus, take a look at the AZ state election site: http://www.azsos.gov/elections/voting-election/election-information

Your link is referring to other ballot issues (not choosing a primary candidate, or more accurately, who the state's delegates must support at the Dem or Repub convention) or getting temporarily registered as a Dem or Repub, meaning they are not independent.

Fern

Nope, still wrong:
http://www.azcleanelections.gov/en/presidential-preference-election

Are you registered as an independent voter?
If you want to participate in the Presidential Preference Election, you must change your party affiliation with one of the three participating parties, Democratic, Green or Republican, by February 22, 2016. After the election, you can change your registration back to independent again, if you so choose.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
iwshane. are you serious?

Your link and cut/paste confirms my post (aside from me failing to mention the Green party).

U cra-cra

Fern

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Why do you consider getting photo ID to be as simple as eating or dressing yourself?
How about because it's one of the hoops that government already expects normal, productive adult people to jump through?

Every man with a wife knows that getting a photo ID is certainly no more difficult than deciding where to eat out, although granted, getting a photo ID occasionally takes longer since government is involved.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What backtracking? (Do you know what the term means?)

Fern

Are you playing stupid or is this genuine? You stated your state added a voter ID law and you had no waiting, you then asked the other poster how their state could mess it up.
I simply showed you that your state did indeed have long lines. So either your state screwed up as well or as you have now backtracked and tried to clarify your position that the delay was at the county level. Either way, you've now answered your original question: how could your state screw up this so bad?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
iwshane. are you serious?

Your link and cut/paste confirms my post (aside from me failing to mention the Green party).

U cra-cra

Fern

So when you said disenfranchising independent voters you meant what exactly? Because as I've shown, independent voters could vote in the primary. Disenfranchisement not found.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Are you playing stupid or is this genuine? You stated your state added a voter ID law and you had no waiting, you then asked the other poster how their state could mess it up.

Correct. I voted and showing my ID resulted in no additional time to vote.

I simply showed you that your state did indeed have long lines. So either your state screwed up as well or as you have now backtracked and tried to clarify your position that the delay was at the county level. Either way, you've now answered your original question: how could your state screw up this so bad?

:rolleyes: The additional time resulted from from big increases in turnout, like other states, or a reduction in polling places as in some places.

Handing them my DL actually helped the poll worker find my name more quickly on the voter roll. I didn't have to spell it out loud for them, or have them ask several times how to spell it. For those of us not named smith, brown or jones etc. it sped things up.

Fern

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012

In what way does "you must register with a party by this date" mean that independents can vote in the party? Just because they can un-register afterwards doesn't mean that they're still independents.

Look at the script from Yavapai county telling people that their votes only count if they're registered Democrat, Republican, or Green:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...ion-Irregularities-and-Suppression-in-Arizona

The really screwed up thing with AZ is there were tons of reports of people who had registered Democrat but still showed up as Independent or even Libertarian affiliation at the polls and were given provisional ballots that probably won't be counted. The Democrat voting day turnout was very low because of this. But it doesn't look like the state is going to do anything to make things right.