Repubs to filibuster continuing resolution and debt limit increase bill but they say they want a debt limit increase too

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
"Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell on Friday warned President Joe Biden he should not expect cooperation on raising the debt ceiling again" link

Looks like Democrats will have to make a choice on what they will be doing very soon.
the day before the debt limit is reached, Schumer should hold a vote to raise the debt limit.
1 up the stupid repubs game of chicken

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I think he's is trying to balance on the edge of a razor. He's a long time democrat, but his state is turning more an more red every election. It seems to be working for him in that he's got outsized power right now. If he is indeed ending his political career with this last term; then I suppose he has a plan to profit from this stance in the future.
All the people saying dump Manchin are delusional. Obviously he's a DINO, but replace him with someone palatable to WV voters, and Mitch McConnell is again the Majority Leader. Although it sucks balls when Moscow Mitch is the obstructionist in chief, the alternative is much worse. I may not like Manchin a whole lot, but I'd rather have him on "our side."

Furthermore he is what he is. It's silly to grouse he won't vote with the progressives when he's far removed from the Bernie Sanders of the world. As Manchin himself said a couple weeks ago, if you want to pass a $3.5T reconciliation bill, you need to elect more liberals to Congress. That's the reality Democratic leaders face now and I'd actually consider it a miraculous win if they ultimately pass a $2T bill. With Sinema slithering to the right of Manchin, and protecting her billionaire buddies, that might be the best we can hope for.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Why is Mitch McConnell still in control of the Senate?

Now THAT is the $25,000 question.
But what I want to know, why is one in the same old fossil face Chuck Grassley appearing with Donald Trump at today’s Trump rally in Iowa? Republicans are lost souls, McConnell Grassley and the whole tribe. My Q niece has been in line for today’s rally since 5am this morning and Trump doesn’t speak until 7 Tonight. Now THAT is cult loyalty.

McConnell refuses to cooperate simply because all of them actually believe it’s only a matter of time until Donald Trump is back in the Whitehouse. And they are not talking 2024, they believe it will be much sooner. And so, until Donald Trump returns and as long as Joe Biden is in charge, republicans in congress will have nothing to do with government. For them, government is on hold until Donald Trump can return to fix it.
In the meantime, crashing the entire US economy means nothing to them. Nothing at all.

Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The Dems have to hold the house and pickup a few seats on the Senate with decent Dems in 2022 so Manchin and that clown Sinema are less relevant.

Reactions: dank69

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Now THAT is the $25,000 question.
But what I want to know, why is one in the same old fossil face Chuck Grassley appearing with Donald Trump at today’s Trump rally in Iowa? Republicans are lost souls, McConnell Grassley and the whole tribe. My Q niece has been in line for today’s rally since 5am this morning and Trump doesn’t speak until 7 Tonight. Now THAT is cult loyalty.

McConnell refuses to cooperate simply because all of them actually believe it’s only a matter of time until Donald Trump is back in the Whitehouse. And they are not talking 2024, they believe it will be much sooner. And so, until Donald Trump returns and as long as Joe Biden is in charge, republicans in congress will have nothing to do with government. For them, government is on hold until Donald Trump can return to fix it.
In the meantime, crashing the entire US economy means nothing to them. Nothing at all.
McConnell doesn't need Trump in the Whitehouse. He just needs the senate majority again.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
McConnell is not against doing the right thing for Americans, he's against doing the right thing for Americans when dems would get the credit.

Also he's generally against doing things that help *most* americans...he has no trouble voting for shit that helps his donors.

The question people REALLY need to be hammering Manchin for is why is $3.5T too much to actually give America the infrastructure it needs, but he voted FOR a $2T tax cut that went 90% to billionaires with zero fucking qualms about its impact to our debt status.

$2T for a billionaire tax cut is fine, but he's got no appetite for anything above $1.5T that will give back to his constituents and be a GDP multiplier?

Answer that question on the floor coal humper.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
The Dems have to hold the house and pickup a few seats on the Senate with decent Dems in 2022 so Manchin and that clown Sinema are less relevant.
That seems very unlikely to happen. Biden rating dropped from where he was before. Also historically midterm election result are bad for the party that control the White House. I expect congress to Republican in 2022 and i think Democrats know that. Senate is 50/50 with retirement that is happening , there is a chances that it might stay Democratic controlled.
They will make another carve out where debt ceiling increases can’t be filibustered.
Have you been paying attention to what Machin been saying? The chances that he will vote to change fillbuster rules in anyway seems to be very unlikely base on his recent comments.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Have you been paying attention to what Machin been saying? The chances that he will vote to change fillbuster rules in anyway seems to be very unlikely base on his recent comments.
Yep, and he will absolutely carve the debt ceiling out of the filibuster because they will not allow the debt ceiling to be breached under any circumstances.

Really it should just be eliminated entirely, the entire concept is stupid. If they want to play chicken again though the Republicans will blink again because while Republicans are immoral, they are also self interested, and guess who doesn’t get offered the cushy lobbying gig in the future? The guy who electively crashed the world economy.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That seems very unlikely to happen. Biden rating dropped from where he was before. Also historically midterm election result are bad for the party that control the White House. I expect congress to Republican in 2022 and i think Democrats know that. Senate is 50/50 with retirement that is happening , there is a chances that it might stay Democratic controlled.

I am fully aware of the obstacles, but a year is an eternity in politics. If Trump announces he is running in 2024 before the midterms, that can be a big boost for the Dems.

I suggest you go become Trump's advisor. Tell him to run on having the US default on debt so we can eliminate all social programs including Medicare and SS. Dems would steamroll the R's.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Unfortunate, polls say that's not going to happen unless catalyst.
Like repubs blocking the debt increase bill the day B4 three USA reaches the limit

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
What they need to do is vote on raising the debt limit every day, and raise the amount every day by a trillion dollars. Then start making a lot of noise about how the Democrats have voted X times in a row to pay America's bills, and the Republicans have voted every time for America to skip out on the tab. State flat out that we will keep voting for America to pay for the bills it has already accrued, but that is going to have to declare bankruptcy if Republicans continue to vote for America to not pay it's bills.

• Haha
Reactions: weblooker2021

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004

Not going to happen, in all likelihood they will lose the Senate and the House in 2022.
Biden needs to stop babying the two rogue D senators and bring them back in line. At least Trump and his party would do what it takes to accomplish that. They were voted in as Democrats, and their country needs them to be Democrats right now, not obstructionist assholes. I'm not sure about their districts, if they think it will help their re-election or not. But dang the stupid Democrats for squandering the two years they have to get anything done because they want to be polite pussies.

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not going to happen, in all likelihood they will lose the Senate and the House in 2022.
Biden needs to stop babying the two rogue D senators and bring them back in line. At least Trump and his party would do what it takes to accomplish that. They were voted in as Democrats, and their country needs them to be Democrats right now, not obstructionist assholes. I'm not sure about their districts, if they think it will help their re-election or not. But dang the stupid Democrats for squandering the two years they have to get anything done because they want to be polite pussies.
How exactly should Biden go about bringing them into line?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
At least Trump and his party would do what it takes to accomplish that.

The sole policy item that unifies Republicans are tax cuts. Judges after that. With such limited ambitions it's simply easier to rally around them.

Trump didn't do jack shit legislatively. Every deal he tried to craft blew up in his face and it was usually his own fault because he has poor instincts and lacks the requisite interest/self control to accomplish anything.

Dec 10, 2005
It seems that the only way to get the two rogue Democrats on board is to scale back a little on some of the proposals, and if you have to go that route: okay. Just don't try to do everything with less money - pick the key programs and initiatives and do them well.

I don't think Biden is just going to "leadership" his way through Manchin's and Sinema's intransigence. I'm sure we'll see that myth pop up though, just like people have done it to Obama.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
How exactly should Biden go about bringing them into line?

He's the leader of the Democrat party. He should be on the phone giving them an earful, promising something if necessary, cajoling, threatening, whatever it takes. Calling Nancy Pelosi and trying to enlist her aid in doing so. Trump would be giving a press conference threatening to endorse their replacement, cut funding for their constituents, whatever it took. This is important, they don't need to be coddled. At the very least it doesn't look like anything of a unified front against the Republicans, which is plenty of fuel for Fox news and the idiots that watch it.

Do you think Biden is doing his best right now to get his policies pushed through given all of this inter-party screwing around? I'm sure you can come up with some ideas of your own.

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He's the leader of the Democrat party. He should be on the phone giving them an earful, promising something if necessary, cajoling, threatening, whatever it takes. Calling Nancy Pelosi and trying to enlist her aid in doing so. Trump would be giving a press conference threatening to endorse their replacement, cut funding for their constituents, whatever it took. This is important, they don't need to be coddled.

Do you think Biden is doing his best right now to get his policies pushed through given all of this inter-party screwing around? I'm sure you can come up with some ideas of your own.
None of this would be even remotely effective and it would immediately fail and blow up in Biden's face. Manchin would just laugh off Biden's threats and Manchin knows Democrats have exactly zero leverage over him. Zero.

As for Sinema, she's already going to get a primary challenger and I'm sure she knows that if she tanks Biden's agenda the party will throw her to the wolves. As for cutting funding, Biden is going to use executive action to cut off funds to a potentially vital swing state? That's a terrible idea! Sinema already knows she's getting primaried and apparently that's not enough to get her to act responsibly.

The real answer is there is no way to force these two to comply so no I don't have any ideas. Basically they have a huge amount of control over what ends up in the bill and there's no way to change that. Sinema should be primaried and removed but until then we're stuck with her. As for Manchin, he's the single most valuable senator in the country right now and so he basically gets to do whatever he wants.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
It's almost like people don't know how government works. As shitty as this situation is, it is infinitely superior to McConnell being majority leader. For now.

I might change my tune on that as a hypothetical if dem agenda gets stonewalled by dems; its entirely possible that having McConnell as a cudgel to foist the intransigence upon would be better politically.

But dems as a big tent party with their structural limitations are definitely weaker relative to repubs.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
As for Sinema, she's already going to get a primary challenger and I'm sure she knows that if she tanks Biden's agenda the party will throw her to the wolves. As for cutting funding, Biden is going to use executive action to cut off funds to a potentially vital swing state? That's a terrible idea! Sinema already knows she's getting primaried and apparently that's not enough to get her to act responsibly.

She's burned her bridges. There is no credible threat to make now that isn't already implicit with how she's decided to behave.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As she is former green party member, it's not a surprise that she just wants to be a bomb thrower. The US green party had a long tradition of trying to be a stick in the bicycle wheel.
The amount of damage the Green Party has done to America is pretty astounding. With no Green Party Gore wins easily in 2000 and Clinton probably wins in 2016.