Repubs to filibuster continuing resolution and debt limit increase bill but they say they want a debt limit increase too

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Aaannd Cruz will object to unanimous consent because of course.

There is a non-zero chance now that the only way for the Senate to raise the debt ceiling might indeed be eliminating the filibuster for it because the Republicans have dug themselves into such a bunker they refuse to climb out of.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

There is a non-zero chance now that the only way for the Senate to raise the debt ceiling might indeed be eliminating the filibuster for it because the Republicans have dug themselves into such a bunker they refuse to climb out of.

The GQP can't help but be as shitty as possible. It's a nasty disgusting party of race to the bottom shitheads.

This is our only hope for their downfall, they can't restrain their pure shittiness enough and get exposd more and more - and as long as people learn the truth about them, the Dems just have to fight back enough to expose them, and the hope is to beat them before they can truly just steal all the elections.

Reactions: chowderhead

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
McConnell blinks. For now. Next crisis in a few weeks. Then another blink. Rinse and repeat. Funny how only the Republicans play games with the debt limit when the Democrats. are in power. Republicans are posturing to be against the debt ceiling raise, so they can later claim they “tried to stop the Democrats from spending” while expecting it to pass anyways via reconciliation.

Screw that ... Reconciliation is extremely difficult, time consuming, easy to delay, and burns a ton of political capital.

The Dems need to call them on their bluff. Simply refuse to play along, and keep scheduling votes right up to the last minute. Make the Republicans own their obstructionism, or quit their bullshit. And in every vote, they should add a trillion extra dollars to the Debt Ceiling. “You know you’re going to blink eventually, the only question is how high you’ll let us raise the ceiling before you do.” “Republicans refused to act until they’d raised the debt ceiling by six quadrillion dollars!
I'm not a big fan of this playing chicken with a madman strategy. What could go wrong?

Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So, when are you gonna start throwing these morons in reeducation camps? By morons I mean GQP'ers.
I'm just saying, the Chinese would not, will not, do not, have this problem.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
So, when are you gonna start throwing these morons in reeducation camps? By morons I mean GQP'ers.
I'm just saying, the Chinese would not, will not, do not, have this problem.
When civil wars become a good thing for nation states...

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

We can only hope.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Senate Rs managed to find the votes eventually. Love that Romney has the balls to criticize Schumer for his speech after where he chastised the Rs for this behavior. Motherfucker voted against cloture so take a seat.

House coming back into session on Tuesday to do their end.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Dec 10, 2005
Senate Rs managed to find the votes eventually. Love that Romney has the balls to criticize Schumer for his speech after where he chastised the Rs for this behavior. Motherfucker voted against cloture so take a seat.

House coming back into session on Tuesday to do their end.
And for the cherry on top, Joe Manchin couldn't help himself and decided to "both sides" it:

Schumer’s remarks — making clear that he laid blame for the ordeal squarely at the feet of Republicans — received plenty of criticism from GOP senators, some of whom had helped advance the measure procedurally. (None of them ultimately supported the final measure, which passed on a 50-to-48 vote.)

But Schumer’s speech also rubbed one fellow Democrat, Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.), the wrong way.

“I didn’t think it was appropriate at this time,” Manchin told CNN’s Manu Raju late Thursday as he left the Capitol. “I just think that basically what we’ve got to do is find a pathway forward, to make sure that we de-weaponize. We have to de-weaponize.”

Manchin, who had resisted Democrats’ calls to change the Senate’s filibuster rules in order to raise the debt ceiling without any Republican help at all, on Thursday accused “both sides” of “playing politics” on the matter.
“Both sides have been very guilty of this and the frustration was built up,” Manchin told Raju. “And I’m sure [Schumer’s] frustration was [high], but that was not a way to take it out. We just disagree. I’d have done it differently.”

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Par for the course with him unfortunately. Instead of both sides this was the GOP digging a deep hole for themselves that they had to conspicuously crawl out of because they miscalculated.
There is no hole. Republican voters give no shits about any of this for longer than an hour, like any other topic they haven't heard about in the last few days. They are purely reactionary. That's why it's possible for them to criticize any policy from both sides of that issue, on demand, for whatever situation they find themselves in at the moment.

"Oh it's horrible how Biden fucked up the Afghanistan withdrawal. All those poor Afghans, what horrible suffering and FUCK NO THEY BETTER NOT BRING THEM HERE!"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There is no hole. Republican voters give no shits about any of this for longer than an hour, like any other topic they haven't heard about in the last few days. They are purely reactionary. That's why it's possible for them to criticize any policy from both sides of that issue, on demand, for whatever situation they find themselves in at the moment.

"Oh it's horrible how Biden fucked up the Afghanistan withdrawal. All those poor Afghans, what horrible suffering and FUCK NO THEY BETTER NOT BRING THEM HERE!"

I was referring more to the strategy hole they picked out and excavated aggressively only to be forced to cobble together a ladder to get out like an angry couple trying to build ikea furniture together in front of the neighbors.

Voters on either side aren't really watching any of this.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Voters on either side aren't really watching any of this.

Yup. Folks around my age group get most of their 'news, from Facebook. Which mostly devolves into a high school food fight. Or they follow Faux news. [This from what my wife reads, I can't be bothered with a FB account].

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Manchin just exposes who his real alliances lie with.
I think he's is trying to balance on the edge of a razor. He's a long time democrat, but his state is turning more an more red every election. It seems to be working for him in that he's got outsized power right now. If he is indeed ending his political career with this last term; then I suppose he has a plan to profit from this stance in the future.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think he's is trying to balance on the edge of a razor. He's a long time democrat, but his state is turning more an more red every election. It seems to be working for him in that he's got outsized power right now. If he is indeed ending his political career with this last term; then I suppose he has a plan to profit from this stance in the future.

If you didn’t go into office to do the right thing or make things better for the average American, then just gtfo already.

If I’m a politician and it’s up to me to pass transformative legislation that will better this country and face losing my next election, I’ll take the loss and vote for that legislation every time!

If his priorities are to ride the fence and get re-elected, he doesn’t deserve to represent the people.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If you didn’t go into office to do the right thing or make things better for the average American, then just gtfo already.

If I’m a politician and it’s up to me to pass transformative legislation that will better this country and face losing my next election, I’ll take the loss and vote for that legislation every time!

If his priorities are to ride the fence and get re-elected, he doesn’t deserve to represent the people.
LOL! Sorry. Have you actually met any congress critters? Or Presidential candidates? These are ambitious people. They need to acquire power to do anything. That means making the right friends. Trading favors. Massive fundraising. They also have to bring home the bacon to their states if they want to get re-elected. That's part of why it's so hard to get stuff done in congress these days. The system is setup to tempt towards corruption as time goes on, human nature being what it is.

The current extreme differential in political objectives in the nation at this time, probably just makes it worse.

Even in seemingly obvious issue related to big pharma, grand speech are given, tough questions are asked (by democrats) and then all the measures dreamed up die in some committee. Every 'Lobbying' reform winds up toothless, or with loopholes one could drive a truck through. The best of our politicians work for decades to get a few unselfish oversight or regulatory reforms passed - only to see them watered down within a decade (like the CFPB or Dodd-Frank).

Yes, the republican's are worse - and the democrats have been getting better (in both parties, the fence sitters are slowly getting out).

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
"Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell on Friday warned President Joe Biden he should not expect cooperation on raising the debt ceiling again" link

Looks like Democrats will have to make a choice on what they will be doing very soon.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
Feb 4, 2009
Democrats should just rally the two slackers and raise the limit to 800 Sexdecillion and bury this issue plus remove a republican troll point for the future.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Why is Mitch McConnell still in control of the Senate?

Because, in America, our Senate is designed to not allow anything to pass.
AKA, dysfunctional government where winning elections means nothing. The winner (will of the people) will still be held powerless. We are destined to great and terrible things before the built in failure is corrected.

Reactions: Zorba