Repubs to filibuster continuing resolution and debt limit increase bill but they say they want a debt limit increase too

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Narrator voice: Turns out, lots and lots of people believed it.
They would just say 'the Democrats just made it so they can spend us into unlimited debt!' Of course we could already do that, but as this forum has repeatedly shown people don't understand the difference between government debt and personal debt.

Regardless, they should do this or something similar and abolish the debt ceiling once and for all. I suggested this years ago because of precisely this reason. These debt default crises will happen over and over and over again whenever a Democrat controls the White House until they get rid of it once and for all.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They would just say 'the Democrats just made it so they can spend us into unlimited debt!' Of course we could already do that, but as this forum has repeatedly shown people don't understand the difference between government debt and personal debt.

Regardless, they should do this or something similar and abolish the debt ceiling once and for all. I suggested this years ago because of precisely this reason. These debt default crises will happen over and over and over again whenever a Democrat controls the White House until they get rid of it once and for all.

I do think the attacks loose some potency if they are complaining about an incomprehensible figure. GOP will mostly have to complain about the reconciliation cost which they are going to do anyway. Anyway nuking the limit from orbit with an insanely big number is absolutely the right move to be rid of this GOP brinksmanship forever even if there is some short term poltical blowback, which I'm not really all that convinced of.

Dec 10, 2005
I do think the attacks loose some potency if they are complaining about an incomprehensible figure. GOP will mostly have to complain about the reconciliation cost which they are going to do anyway. Anyway nuking the limit from orbit with an insanely big number is absolutely the right move to be rid of this GOP brinksmanship forever even if there is some short term poltical blowback, which I'm not really all that convinced of.
Most people are not very online and won't be paying attention for elections for some time. Best to nuke it now, while there are no elections on the public's mind.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Most people are not very online and won't be paying attention for elections for some time. Best to nuke it now, while there are no elections on the public's mind.
Also people who are super into politics seem to vastly overestimate how much regular people care about procedural shit like the debt limit or the filibuster.

And by vastly overestimate it I mean the actual level normal people care is around 0. Remember when McConnell stole a SCOTUS seat? What a terrible violation of governing norms that led to... Republicans gaining control of the entire government.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Dems need to Be as aggressive politically as the repubs.

This century they've been pussys and have been trampled over by repubs.

Hold a vote to raise to the debt limit the day before it's hit.
Blame repubs if they filibuster

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like Mitch blinked today when the Dems started talking about getting rid of the filibuster and at the same time revisited the Voting Rights law, to end the debt limit impasse.

Shaming Mitch McConnell: Democrats attempt the near-impossible - CNNPolitics

Just a punt though. We'll be back here in November/December since the larger issue is unresolved. Increasing talk of filibuster modifications, Rs getting actually nervous about hitting the limit, and their desire to recess (to fundraise) all piled up and made him give a bit.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
This is really what the democrats should do:

I wish they would. Why leave this fight a perennial issue unless they actually like the fight as well?
Don't know why, unless they think they get one over on the Rs, but it's assuming Rs aren't nuts and wouldn't destroy the economy for politics.

Considering their actions around covid and how many of their own voters they sacrificed, I don't feel easy about leaving this option open.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Dec 10, 2005
Just a punt though. We'll be back here in November/December since the larger issue is unresolved. Increasing talk of filibuster modifications, Rs getting actually nervous about hitting the limit, and their desire to recess (to fundraise) all piled up and made him give a bit.
They should tell Mitch to get bent and nuke the filibuster for the debt ceiling, then pass the increase they want. It should be nuked altogether, but let's start chipping away at its insanity.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They should tell Mitch to get bent and nuke the filibuster for the debt ceiling, then pass the increase they want. It should be nuked altogether, but let's start chipping away at its insanity.

Could still come to that.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
First you have to convince Manchin that it'd be very Mavericky to get rid of the debt ceiling.

Then you'd be stuck trying to find someone to pay Sinema enough money to vote in favor of getting rid of the debt ceiling.

Good luck.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That and his donors don't actually want a default. It's just more red meat to rile up anti-Democrats.

Reactions: Ajay and DarthKyrie

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
That and his donors don't actually want a default. It's just more red meat to rile up anti-Democrats.
This is a stupid dog and pony show the republicans have been running for years. Look how they are stopping the democrats wasteful spending - true heroes indeed :rolleyes:.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I think the Republicans will eventually, at some indeterminate date in the future, cause us to default but that's because they'll forget it is a bluff. McConnell has not.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
I think the Republicans will eventually, at some indeterminate date in the future, cause us to default but that's because they'll forget it is a bluff. McConnell has not.
We should absolutely default. That way we can stop spending money on all social programs.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
McConnell blinks. For now. Next crisis in a few weeks. Then another blink. Rinse and repeat. Funny how only the Republicans play games with the debt limit when the Democrats. are in power. Republicans are posturing to be against the debt ceiling raise, so they can later claim they “tried to stop the Democrats from spending” while expecting it to pass anyways via reconciliation.

Screw that ... Reconciliation is extremely difficult, time consuming, easy to delay, and burns a ton of political capital.

The Dems need to call them on their bluff. Simply refuse to play along, and keep scheduling votes right up to the last minute. Make the Republicans own their obstructionism, or quit their bullshit. And in every vote, they should add a trillion extra dollars to the Debt Ceiling. “You know you’re going to blink eventually, the only question is how high you’ll let us raise the ceiling before you do.” “Republicans refused to act until they’d raised the debt ceiling by six quadrillion dollars!