Repubs to filibuster continuing resolution and debt limit increase bill but they say they want a debt limit increase too

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Sept. 30 is the deadline to continue funding federal agencies.
In late October or early November, the U.S. Treasury will run out of money to pay its obligations and will default.

Dems proposed a bill to continue the Govt and increase the debt limit.
Repubs says they will fillibuster.

1) What Dems should do is also play hardball by putting the bill on the Senate floor on Sept 30.
Let the Repubs filibuster and let all Americans see they are the ones that caused all non-essential govt employees go on furlough.

It worked for Bill Clinton in the 1990s.
Americans blamed the Repubs for the govt shutdown.
and im shocked the Dems arent even considering this.

2) Repubs: Lets see how STUPID the avg American is.
Repubs say they want a debt limit increase but they're going to filibuster the Dem bill.

Can the American people see through the Repub double speak and blame the Repubs?

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The party opposing an increase has always suffered. And they will suffer again.... People just do not like their government shutting down no matter how much people bitch about that same government. Talk about your love hate relationship. But really.... it's kinda fun to watch this play out over and over and over again. Someone always blinks first.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is weird - I genuinely don't understand the play here. If Republicans filibuster the debt limit increase there are 3 possible outcomes I see, all of which seem bad for them.

1) Catastrophic debt default and global financial catastrophe.
2) Republicans fold yet again on this issue.
3) Democrats abolish the filibuster for debt ceiling stuff, which would theoretically just make them more comfortable with abolishing it for other things.

I can't see how any of those outcomes are something they want.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I HAVE AN IDEA....
""If"" republicans ARE Sooooooo concerned with spending and the with national debit and with the money thing and all, then just have the republicans in congress reverse Donald Trump's 2017 tax reform fiasco (i.e. give away to the rich) that every republican voted for back in 2017. The reform where Trump told his rich friends, "You All Just Got a Lot Richer".

Right there we could save more than enough federal money to not only pay for Joe Biden's BUILD BACK BETTER plan, but we could give every American another round of those $1200 stimulus checks. $1200 check plus, all the great middle class advantages in Joe's BUILD BACK BETTER plan.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
This is weird - I genuinely don't understand the play here. If Republicans filibuster the debt limit increase there are 3 possible outcomes I see, all of which seem bad for them.

3) Democrats abolish the filibuster for debt ceiling stuff, which would theoretically just make them more comfortable with abolishing it for other things.

force the dems to do it via reconciliation.
repubs will eat LOTS of days slowing down the process, thus limiting what the Dems can ram down their throat in the remaining time they have majority

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
force the dems to do it via reconciliation.
repubs will eat LOTS of days slowing down the process, thus limiting what the Dems can ram down their throat in the remaining time they have majority
That seems plausible to me. Thanks! Also if they somehow had to do it through reconciliation that would eat up one of the reconciliation bills they are ‘allowed’ to do. (Which is stupid and should also be abolished)

Reactions: DarthKyrie

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
That seems plausible to me. Thanks! Also if they somehow had to do it through reconciliation that would eat up one of the reconciliation bills they are ‘allowed’ to do. (Which is stupid and should also be abolished)
I'm not playing close attention, but supposedly it would be rolled into the not $3.5T bill. Although I don't see how that's a poison pill. It's hard enough getting the Dems to agree on the social policy and climate bill. Adding must-have legislation to it shouldn't hurt the sausage-making IMO, but I'm no Congressional expert. Unless the GOP does want the federal government to implode and default on its debt, which honestly you cannot rule out at this time. Nobody ever said brinkmanship has to make logical sense.

Sinema is now hosting lobbyists that oppose the $3.5T package, so I'm still of the opinion that progressives will just have to settle for a much scaled down reconciliation bill to get the two DINOs onboard.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
anybody else notice that it tends to be a republican president who runs up the actual debt and a democrat president who has to fucking deal with it?
And by fantastic coincidence the republican side of congress is always frugal and penny-wise the exact same day that democrat is sworn into office?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
anybody else notice that it tends to be a republican president who runs up the actual debt and a democrat president who has to fucking deal with it?
And by fantastic coincidence the republican side of congress is always frugal and penny-wise the exact same day that democrat is sworn into office?
So, nothing new over the past 40 years.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
it's even worse when you start attributing interest expense to the principal amount rather than just whoever is in office when its accrues.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Sinema is now hosting lobbyists that oppose the $3.5T package, so I'm still of the opinion that progressives will just have to settle for a much scaled down reconciliation bill to get the two DINOs onboard.

We all knew the tab was going to fall but her behavior continues to be that of somebody who is basically nuts or doesn't intend to be in congress after 2024.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

You forget, the Democrats are weak. Once the Republicans filibustered it, this should have been an easy show and tell for the need to abolish the filibuster on this and the voting rights issue. But back to point one. Dems are weak.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
They want to force the Dems to put it in the $3.5T reconciliation bill, which won't be that big, where the Dems have to pick a number, not just suspend the debt ceiling, then they want to use that number to campaign against them in 2022.

It's all a game to them

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
You forget, the Democrats are weak. Once the Republicans filibustered it, this should have been an easy show and tell for the need to abolish the filibuster on this and the voting rights issue. But back to point one. Dems are weak.
Government is just Calvinball to Republicans

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
And yet, the voters continue to elect republicans ?????
I don't get it.
In a real world, republicans SHOULD BE getting about 20% of the vote election after election. Now.... if one wants to look into voter fraud, look into THAT.

Republicans, ALL OF THEM, voted against the Biden covid stimulus package, remember? However, I never seen any of MY Trumpie family not liking to get those Biden checks. And republicans refuse Biden's BUILD BACK BETTER plan which would give mothers childcare and family leave and tax credits for the kids. All direct middle class benefits that if enacted everyone would just LOVE, yes even those republican mothers. But still, so many middle class Americans keep voting over and over for republicans like Mitch McConnell and Chuck Grassley? These people, the republicans, should be getting no votes and democrats should be in charge as they were back in the 1950's. A super majority and nothing less.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The Democratic Party is "weak" because it actually wants to govern and build, which requires consensus and negotiation to legislate laws.

The Republican Party is "strong" because it only cares about cutting taxes for the base and appointing as many judges as possible to cement in policies through the judiciary. Judges "interpret" laws, which overrules "weak" legislation.

The Democratic Party is always at a disadvantage because it's a lot harder to build something than it is to destroy something. The Democratic Party is attempting to build a country.

The Republican Party just wants to destroy the country so it can be bought up in parcels and pieces by the oligarchs who operate the Republican Party for themselves.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i agree.
it's as if the Dems havent read Machiavelli.

Repubs are doing stuff that would make Machiavelli proud. :mad:

Like i said in my OP, make the vote on Sept 30 and not today.
When the Repubs filibuster, the govt shuts down and every news channel will say it's because of the Repubs filibuster.

Still have no idea why the Dems are voting on the bill today and trying to avert the shutdown instead of letting it happen so all America can see it was the Repubs.
sigh..

Reactions: dank69

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I don't get it.
It took me a while to figure this out, but the best lie is one that people want to hear.

Fox News was constructed specifically to push propaganda on the American people and it works because about half of them hear things they like. Its mostly hate and fear but people gobble it up and beg for more. And Fox also provides solutions, like Vote Republican or else it gets worse.
Americans lack critical thinking and the high energy hate & fear the Republican party promotes is a lot more appetizing to a non-critical brain than a critical one.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I don't get it.
Best grift evah! Toss out some red meat to the base from time to time, and in that stupor they convince them that it’s the democrats spending all their tax $$s while corporate bigwigs suppress their wages and move their jobs overseas while paying zero taxes on huge profits. Then the corporations throw wads of cash at the GOP to keep that train running. $profit$