Repubs to filibuster continuing resolution and debt limit increase bill but they say they want a debt limit increase too

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The amount of damage the Green Party has done to America is pretty astounding. With no Green Party Gore wins easily in 2000 and Clinton probably wins in 2016.

Green Party just wants to watch the world burn and they often get their wish and pretend it's the Democrats fault not theirs. Totally devoid of any sense of responsibility for their actions.

Dec 10, 2005
The amount of damage the Green Party has done to America is pretty astounding. With no Green Party Gore wins easily in 2000 and Clinton probably wins in 2016.
I know. Think about where we would be with regards to climate change if Gore had been elected, or where federal policy would not have backslid if Clinton had been elected in '16. Quite sad and frustrating when people don't understand the implications of tossing their vote in first past the post systems.

Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I know. Think about where we would be with regards to climate change if Gore had been elected, or where federal policy would not have backslid if Clinton had been elected in '16. Quite sad and frustrating when people don't understand the implications of tossing their vote in first past the post systems.
Almost certainly no Iraq war too.

Dec 10, 2005
Once in a while I stumble on a real live Green voter and implicate their party in the death of my friend who was killed in Iraq. They are highly offended and indignant that I would make such an accurate connection of their choices to real world consequences.
"Don't shame me for my shitty choices that have impacted others. It's Democrats fault for not getting a candidate that would personally knocked on my door to hand me a pony. And it's Democrats fault when they let Republicans do bad things, because only Democrats have agency."

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
None of this would be even remotely effective and it would immediately fail and blow up in Biden's face. Manchin would just laugh off Biden's threats and Manchin knows Democrats have exactly zero leverage over him. Zero.

As for Sinema, she's already going to get a primary challenger and I'm sure she knows that if she tanks Biden's agenda the party will throw her to the wolves. As for cutting funding, Biden is going to use executive action to cut off funds to a potentially vital swing state? That's a terrible idea! Sinema already knows she's getting primaried and apparently that's not enough to get her to act responsibly.

The real answer is there is no way to force these two to comply so no I don't have any ideas. Basically they have a huge amount of control over what ends up in the bill and there's no way to change that. Sinema should be primaried and removed but until then we're stuck with her. As for Manchin, he's the single most valuable senator in the country right now and so he basically gets to do whatever he wants.
I think she's "mental".

Kyrsten Sinema ditches Senate negotiations for fundraising trip to Europe | Salon.com

• Wow
Reactions: Dave_5k

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's almost like people don't know how government works. As shitty as this situation is, it is infinitely superior to McConnell being majority leader. For now.

I might change my tune on that as a hypothetical if dem agenda gets stonewalled by dems; its entirely possible that having McConnell as a cudgel to foist the intransigence upon would be better politically.

But dems as a big tent party with their structural limitations are definitely weaker relative to repubs.
Also the idea that the GQP has been a more disciplined party since Trump is hilarious. The Republican party has been splintered ever since the Tea Party revolution, with the establishment not knowing what to do about the upstarts. Unfortunately for the dinosaurs that cling to offices in the Senate, the radical wing/Trumpism has essentially consumed most of the GOP.

There is no scenario where we're better off with a Republican-controlled Congress. We saw the results when they held Congress from 2017-2019, with Moscow Mitch being the Majority Leader since 2015.

I hate to say it, but we're fucked for 2022 midterms. The only question is if we can lock in some wins (legislation) and limit the nuclear fallout.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Sinema has abandoned those who got her elected and helped guide her to where she is today. She only meets with rich donors at this point.

Imagine going from Green party to not wanting Medicare to negotiate drug prices. She has been bought and paid for and deserves to be confronted.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Yes, leaves for a fundraiser in Europe. And this:

Meanwhile the Arizona senator, who has been a leading recipient of donations from the pharmaceutical industry and corporate groups trying to kill key parts of the bill, has continued to make time to meet with donors.
Last month, Sinema held a fundraiser with five business groups that oppose the bill, charging attendees up to $5,800 to attend a 45-minute event.

In case anyone was wondering what class she was teaches at ASU -

The Intercept reported that Sinema teaches an ASU class on fundraising, including topics like how to cultivate "large individual donors," "opportunistic fundraising" and "corporate giving."

I guess she'll have some fun for her last three years in office though.

Earlier this month, Sinema left Washington to go to Arizona, where she attended a ritzy donor "retreat" at a high-end resort and spa, according to the New York Times.

She's politically dead already and she doesn't even know it. She could raise $10 billion for her Senate race in 2024 and she'd still have no chance.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
London and Paris are odd locations for fundraising, as even the solicitation - much less acceptance - of any campaign contributions from foreign nationals is illegal. That applies to any US election or candidate (at federal, state, or even local level).

It is legal so accept donations from Americans abroad, which is the point of her trip.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Sinema has abandoned those who got her elected and helped guide her to where she is today. She only meets with rich donors at this point.

Imagine going from Green party to not wanting Medicare to negotiate drug prices. She has been bought and paid for and deserves to be confronted.
Sinema is why we can't have nice things. I suspect her plan is to be "mavericky" until she's primaried in 2024, after which she can become a high-paid lobbyist on K Street.

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Sinema is why we can't have nice things. I suspect her plan is to be "mavericky" until she's primaried in 2024, after which she can become a high-paid lobbyist on K Street.

Straight to K street.
Speaking of which.....
Moderate Democrats are about to sell out Americans to drug companies | Salon.com

Every other developed country has a negotiating body that tells pharma companies how much they'll pay for drugs

Reactions: esquared

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Mar 11, 2004
She's burned her bridges. There is no credible threat to make now that isn't already implicit with how she's decided to behave.

Just watch, she'll put out a memoir saying she did it to hold Democrats accountable and show the world how rotten American politics are.

Reactions: hal2kilo

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
You would agree it would be a vast improvement over what we have though, right?
No it would not be an improvement. Currently Medicare/Medicaid are low payer when it comes to insurance payment. Also it would impact health industry greatly with millions of people being out of work, investor losing their investment as result of market crash for those companies in health care industry etc. It would basically be a disaster. I would support setting Medicare back to say 60 years instead of now 65 as that not likely to happen major impact but i do not support giving everyone federal insurance.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
No it would not be an improvement. Currently Medicare/Medicaid are low payer when it comes to insurance payment. Also it would impact health industry greatly with millions of people being out of work, investor losing their investment as result of market crash for those companies in health care industry etc. It would basically be a disaster. I would support setting Medicare back to say 60 years instead of now 65 as that not likely to happen major impact but i do not support giving everyone federal insurance.
Medical device companies are not going to refuse to sell in the US if the government negotiated prices. The market is too big.

Their profits wouldn't be as high, sure. But less profit is not the same as having a loss.