Republicans want to classify pizza and french fries as vegetables

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Interesting logic. That would mean Sea Beans, Gai Lan, and even butternut squash are not vegetables. I challenge you to find anyone who would name those vegetables as the first vegetable that comes to mind.

Butternut Squash? I know you would get at least one person to say "squash" or "zuchinni".(sp). So trying to get fancy and name an ethnic veggie like Gai Lan (isn't that a cartoon character?) aint playin' fair.

"Sea beans" is is a euphemism for another veggie, and is also rather unheard of.

OTOH, "French Fries" are not rare. MANY people know FFs, and NOBODY would name them as a "veggie" if asked (with no prompting/lead in...)

Are you still pretending a fried potato is no longer a potato and therefor is not a vegetable? The rest of us understand that a fried potato is still a vegetable, simply a far less healthy one due to the additional fat and salt content.

Are you still trying to win on semantics? The term "vegetable" was, when taken in context, meant to refer to something with nutritional content. French Fries were not intended to be considered. You are barking up the wrong summer squash.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Run on your toes. Never allow heal strike and you won't get shin splints. Granted it looks ridiculous at low speed and takes some getting used to but that solved it for me.

Actually, I run on my toes a lot.

110 hurdles you are on your toes the whole time, same with High Jump.

Those killed me.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Actually, I run on my toes a lot.

110 hurdles you are on your toes the whole time, same with High Jump.

Those killed me.

Hmm never had that problem. I ran 100, 200, 400 relay and 800 relay and never had that problem. What I did have was legs locking up at night. There we finally get to diet though.. not enough salts.

Shin splints set in when I started heal striking when I took up jogging again at 30. Talked to my dad an he suggested running on toes and have had zero problems since.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Interesting idea, I did not know that. When sprinting, I always stayed on my toes anyway...but I thought we were to do a rolling foot type of run.

Hmm...

actually you only really need to worry about form during lower speeds. I read that at higher speeds your body just does what it has naturally done for tens of thousands of years. Pretty cool actually.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
How in God's name is tomato paste a healthy vegetable option?? Next up, tomato paste cures cancer. And deep fried potatoes - a healthy vegetable option as well? I guess McDonalds can now be considered a health food chain. Congrats America, you have placed garbage on a pedestal.

This is the same shitty logic and approach that got everyone and everything soaked in high fructose corn syrup. Corn fed to cows and pigs to make them fatter. Now, it's junk food and an awful education system provided to the "masses".

I would LOVE to see Capitol Hill be served only and ONLY tomatoes paste and French fries for one solid year. Nothing else.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-not-exactly/2011/11/20/gIQABXgmhN_blog.html

Summarized - 1/8th of a cup of tomato paste compared to 1/2 cup of common fruits/vegetables. The Tomato paste has more potassium, calcium, and fiber but also more salt. It also has less sugar and fiber. So yea, tomato paste actually isn't bad for you.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Fuck that shit. I run for endorphins not to have hamburger feet. You're more a man than i am. I bet you mass nothing. Strap 100 lbs on your back and run barefooted and let me know what you think.

huh? You bet I mass nothing? Do you mean like you think I'm a small person? I'm not a small person, but I can tell you right now I hate running but I hate it even more with shoes. When I run I'm almost always bare foot, you get used to it.

PS the worst thing ever for your feet is metal gratting. Holy fucking hell have any of you ever spent 12 hours standing on that shit with work boots on?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I would not recommend running barefoot. Little bits of glass and ringworm can fuck you up.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
Interesting logic. That would mean Sea Beans, Gai Lan, and even butternut squash are not vegetables. I challenge you to find anyone who would name those vegetables as the first vegetable that comes to mind.

Are you still pretending a fried potato is no longer a potato and therefor is not a vegetable? The rest of us understand that a fried potato is still a vegetable, simply a far less healthy one due to the additional fat and salt content.

Sea beans and butternut squash are fruits, Gai Lan is a vegetable. If its the root (potato, carrot), stalk (asparagus), or leaf (spinach) then its a vegetable. Of course you guys are not arguing scientifically but politically. In that case, it all depends on what the politicians say it is, no matter the science. (so water does not hydrate?)

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I would not recommend running barefoot. Little bits of glass and ringworm can fuck you up.

Yeah, I'll deal. I honestly have a hard time wearing shoes now, my knees and ankles always feel weird. I wore nothing but flip flops or barefeet for over a year though so maybe I just need to readjust.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Butternut Squash? I know you would get at least one person to say "squash" or "zuchinni".(sp). So trying to get fancy and name an ethnic veggie like Gai Lan (isn't that a cartoon character?) aint playin' fair.

"Sea beans" is is a euphemism for another veggie, and is also rather unheard of.

OTOH, "French Fries" are not rare. MANY people know FFs, and NOBODY would name them as a "veggie" if asked (with no prompting/lead in...)

So are you saying you were wrong with your requirement that it be the first thing someone thinks of when they think of vegetable in order to actually be a vegetable?

Are you still trying to win on semantics?

No need to win. A fried potato is still a potato and a potato is a vegetable. Ice is still water.

The term "vegetable" was, when taken in context, meant to refer to something with nutritional content. French Fries were not intended to be considered. You are barking up the wrong summer squash.

French Fries still have all the same nutrients Potatos have. I already proved this with potato chips. French Fries and Potato Chips simply have more fat and salt than potatos...but they have the same amount of nutrients.

Unless, of course, you are now trying to say fat is a nutrient...please tell me you are not that stupid.

Face it, trying to support the notion that a potato, when fried, turns into a OWS supporter...wait...ok, yeah, that works. They are both vegetables.

Fried vegetables are still vegetables. Give it up, you are only making yourself look stupid by saying frying a vegetable magically makes it stop being a vegetable.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The BMW "C" Series?

These bad boys:

http://www.bmw-i-usa.com/en_us/

BMW-i8-concept-left-door-open.jpg

BMWi_TeaserBig_i8.jpg

BMWi_TeaserBig_i3.jpg

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
huh? You bet I mass nothing? Do you mean like you think I'm a small person? I'm not a small person, but I can tell you right now I hate running but I hate it even more with shoes. When I run I'm almost always bare foot, you get used to it.

PS the worst thing ever for your feet is metal gratting. Holy fucking hell have any of you ever spent 12 hours standing on that shit with work boots on?

Yeah you probably will get used to running barefoot but i'd get kicked out of bed. :p seriously, you never see a sprinter or any other big men running barefooted. Too high an arch, Too miuch PSI. Only little African marathoners can do it. Mass is a multiplier in force equation and it's ugly numbers coming down as you increase in mass.

I think I'd have to go to hospital if I did my intervals without shoes. I've ripped soles off shoes. My feet are nothing compared to hard rubber and foot is not held together either anymore.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It is interesting to see the native Africans run barefoot at full speed across rocky ground. Not me, says my baby soft feet.