Republicans want to classify pizza and french fries as vegetables

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I'll repeat the warning that I posted a few days ago:

Best not to feed the guy with honest, integrity, and protein packed rebuttals when he's only present for an in your face junk food fix.

14a48d4e-66f0-4624-a50d-f5a5f1bfff72.jpg

Oh Hai! I know you love me and all that, but your desire for me has progressed into stalking, and is a bit unhealthy.

I recommend returning to your meds, which you have obviously stopped taking. They were prescribed for your own good, you know. Your psychiatrist really does know what he is talking about, so it is a good thing your psychologist sent you to him for meds.

Jussaying, if I see you in your pink and blue outfit, peeking in my bathroom windows again, I am going to have to slap a restraining order on you.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Esk and I agree...which means it surely must be true. ;)

Most people cannot run for 7.5 mph for any extended period of time, let alone 11 mph. Most people are not conditioned track runners.

They don't need to be conditioned track runners, they just need to get out and get 45-60 minutes of aerobic activity in, which keeps their heart rate medium-high, so they can burn calories and keep their metabolism up. And then also eat proper non-shit/processed foods properly.

This task for kids who have no job, and hence large amounts of free time during the day, is apperently massively hard, since so few do it/are made to do it.

It's easier to have them do a meaningless "gym" activity and/or let them play Xbox all day...don't have to expend any effort making them do something they don't want...

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Tough question. He started at 45. Gave up smoking and drinking/playing poker with his buddies for health. But as a kid he was athletic.

He did have one injury when he first started/ Patella became detached from knee and knee cap ended up in middle of thigh lol. It was pretty funny watching him whine like a girl for the first time in my life. But all that was is starting too fast. Today they have HRM to get out of shape in shape safely and slowly.

That's interesting you say that, as Warren was the same way, started after he got done growing. I wonder what the % of runners who are old is that started running after they finished growing to the % of runners who started running say freshman year in HS? That's be very interesting to know...

Chuck

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Then there will no opposition whatsoever when congress is held to eat according to the same standards as public school children.

No more $15 muffins. Tomato paste all the way.

You know the $15 muffin thing turned out to be false, right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well by his very specific writing style, sheer number of posts in brief spans of time (a few hundred in a week already here?), tendency to ignore much of the topic at hand, get his jollies by continually frustrating the discussion with arguments of semantics and misquotes, plus the identical pseudonym of himself from others forums, this fella is most certainly the one and the same character who was infamously banned a few years ago from the Rage3D forum, among others...

Oh great, what did we do to deserve another one of these? At least they tend not to last too long and get banned here too.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
You mean semantics like saying "Carrots are vegetables, fried carrots are vegetables too"?

Yep. When the intent of the law is to make a healthier diet, and the term "vegetables" is used, NO SANE HUMAN ever thought "french fries"

Again. Go back to my original challenge and find anyone that will name french fries when you ask them to name the first vegetable that comes to mind.

Survey SAYS:

X

Yeah. Why, do you think frying a carrot turns it into a BMW?

Straw man.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
OK, last things:

1. Exercise will increase your bodies metabolic rate. More important than the actual calories burnt on the run, the boosting of your metabolism, along with more muscle to feed and maintain, will keep you skinny/trim. ranking diet and exercise is stupid when they should be combined, not rated against each other.

2. For some reason I am reminded of the South Park skiing episode.

Stan Darsh!

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
OK, last things:

1. Exercise will increase your bodies metabolic rate. More important than the actual calories burnt on the run, the boosting of your metabolism, along with more muscle to feed and maintain, will keep you skinny/trim. ranking diet and exercise is stupid when they should be combined, not rated against each other.

2. For some reason I am reminded of the South Park skiing episode.

Stan Darsh!

Yes a lot of people miss that too. Also Climate control plays a significant role in obesity as body doesn't have to work as hard at maintaining temp when its comfortable. Americans could lose massive weight just getting rid of their air conditioners.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Esk and I agree...which means it surely must be true. ;)

Most people cannot run for 7.5 mph for any extended period of time, let alone 11 mph. Most people are not conditioned track runners.

I can't either. My math was off I never calculate this stuff just go in zone 4 for 45 min since HR is all that matters. Just checked and marker at park is not 1.3 like I thought but 1.1. So 6.5 MPH. Still over 1000 calories. Pass the brisket.:)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
thats cool. I've seen guys chuck it on tread mills for 8 miles at 7.5 and higher but 6.5 extended is a good run.

Another thing people don't realize is that you need to have high quality shoes and you need to replace them after so many miles. I tend to just replace them every 6 months or so. I think a lot of the injuries that people have come from

1. injuring themselves and not giving it time to heal. You love the high so you keep going back even when you shouldn't.

2. using the same running shoes for 3 or more years. retarded.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Doesn't work for some, especially in high impact events.

Running on a hard gym surface for hurdles, high jump and such gave me shin splints like nobodies business.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
thats cool. I've seen guys chuck it on tread mills for 8 miles at 7.5 and higher but 6.5 extended is a good run.

Another thing people don't realize is that you need to have high quality shoes and you need to replace them after so many miles. I tend to just replace them every 6 months or so. I think a lot of the injuries that people have come from

1. injuring themselves and not giving it time to heal. You love the high so you keep going back even when you shouldn't.

Some people say running barefoot is the way to go and claim running shoes destory your feet. They even sell shoes thin as a glove just to prtect you from rocks and glass on the street. I tried them damn near killed me. afore mentioned shin splints, front ball bruises, etc... No thanks. I'll stick to Asics Nimbus 12's even if it costs an outrageous $150 every couple months.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
They don't need to be conditioned track runners, they just need to get out and get 45-60 minutes of aerobic activity in, which keeps their heart rate medium-high, so they can burn calories and keep their metabolism up. And then also eat proper non-shit/processed foods properly.

This task for kids who have no job, and hence large amounts of free time during the day, is apperently massively hard, since so few do it/are made to do it.

It's easier to have them do a meaningless "gym" activity and/or let them play Xbox all day...don't have to expend any effort making them do something they don't want...

Agreed, but I am sure that most people will hit a medium high rate at a much slower speed...but that is because most people are sorrowfully out of shape.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Again. Go back to my original challenge and find anyone that will name french fries when you ask them to name the first vegetable that comes to mind.

Interesting logic. That would mean Sea Beans, Gai Lan, and even butternut squash are not vegetables. I challenge you to find anyone who would name those vegetables as the first vegetable that comes to mind.

Are you still pretending a fried potato is no longer a potato and therefor is not a vegetable? The rest of us understand that a fried potato is still a vegetable, simply a far less healthy one due to the additional fat and salt content.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Doesn't work for some, especially in high impact events.

Running on a hard gym surface for hurdles, high jump and such gave me shin splints like nobodies business.

Run on your toes. Never allow heal strike and you won't get shin splints. Granted it looks ridiculous at low speed and takes some getting used to but that solved it for me.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Interesting idea, I did not know that. When sprinting, I always stayed on my toes anyway...but I thought we were to do a rolling foot type of run.

Hmm...

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Agreed, but I am sure that most people will hit a medium high rate at a much slower speed...but that is because most people are sorrowfully out of shape.

Sure they will, because they're not runners. But them matching the runners speed isn't important, it's getting their heart rate elevated for a sustained period of time. Biking/Spinning, running, swimming, soccer (played hard, not wimp soccer), hard ultimate frisbee, etc. are what you need to keep the heart rate elevated. Since most schools have enough campus space, and kids only need shoes for it, jogging/running is the preferred method of accomplishing this.

You could actually get your heart rate up pretty good by doing weights, however managing properly for it to be effective would take a lot more effort than just telling the kids "run around the track/campus x times in y time for z grade".

Personally, given the obesity of kids now, I think they should have times you need to hit for your aerobic levels. Can't hit them? No problem! You'll be reporting for the tutorial period to try again. Don't want to report for tutorial after school each day? Take the during school exercise period more seriously then, and lay off the twinkies at night when you get home. Enough doubles each day (yes, the aerobic activity for each kid should be every school day) and either they'll get the exercise they need, or, they'll meet the times enough where they should be in shape to not need the extra exercise. Then can thank 'the evil system' later in life....

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007

or you run barefoot so you don't fuck off your knees. We weren't born with shoes, our bodies weren't designed to run in them either. Want to keep your feet and legs healthy, run barefoot.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Interesting idea, I did not know that. When sprinting, I always stayed on my toes anyway...but I thought we were to do a rolling foot type of run.

Hmm...

Everyone does when sprinting. Look at the sprinter shoes with no heal because it's not needed. It's harder to do at lower speed but provides significant shock absorption since your foot and ankle are slowly giving the impact to tibia and knee instead of all at once with heal strike.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
or you run barefoot so you don't fuck off your knees. We weren't born with shoes, our bodies weren't designed to run in them either. Want to keep your feet and legs healthy, run barefoot.

Fuck that shit. I run for endorphins not to have hamburger feet. You're more a man than i am. I bet you mass nothing. Strap 100 lbs on your back and run barefooted and let me know what you think.