Republicans want to classify pizza and french fries as vegetables

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You are arguing with the dumbest shits I think Ive seen in p&n in a long time, including me. That is significant considering the morons like me that frequent this place.

Can everyone see his honesty? We need more of that in here. Bravo on your honesty!

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Can everyone see his honesty? We need more of that in here. Bravo on your honesty!

You're not very creative and who the fuck eats fried carrots?

Didn't read thread so not sure why anyone would want to classify a fried vegetable as a pure vegetable. Potato chips FTW I guess. I guess that no different than trying to classify making hamburgers as a manufacturing job....

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You're not very creative and who the fuck eats fried carrots?

Does it matter if anyone eats fried carrots or not? EDIT: Apparently, about 25% of the population of the planet eat fried carrots.

Frying a carrot does not magically turn it into a 747...or into a milk, or bread, or meat...it, in fact, stays a vegetable. A fried one, potentially no longer worthy of eating (not sure why frying does to the vitamins present in a carrot), but still a vegetable.

Didn't read thread so not sure why anyone would want to classify a fried vegetable as a pure vegetable.

No one would classify a cooked vegetable as a raw vegetable. The basic fact that you called it a fried VEGETALBE means you agree that frying it does not magically make it no longer a vegetable.

Potato chips FTW I guess.

Lets compare the potato to potato chips. Before we start, the only difference I know about without any research is the fat and salt content...we are going to slog through this together.

First, lets calculate how many potato chips you get from a potato, so we can discuss them evenly:

It requires five to six raw potatoes or 600g to make a 150g bag of chips
http://askville.amazon.com/chips-make-potato/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=13567752

Then we use the nutritional data from here:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2554/2 Potato
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5627/2 Potato Chips

I used the amounts which very roughly correspond, being 100g of potato and 28g of potato chips. Comparing the two:

Potato - Chip
Fat: 0% - 16%
Cholest: 0% - 0%
Sodium: 0% - 6%
Fiber: 6% - 5%
A: 0% - 0%
C: 21% - 21%
Calcium: 1% - 1%
Iron: 2% - 2%

Looking over the charts, we see that the potato and the chip provide the same amounts of nutrients. Not surprising, sine the potato chip IS both a potato and vegetable (for purposes of nutritional info at least). The thing frying does is that it takes it from a barely nutritious vegetable into one that is harmful to you.

So can we all agree that frying a potato does not suddenly make it stop being a vegetable? Can we all agree that even potato chips have all the nutrition of a potato but with added fat and salt?

Can we finally put that idiocy to rest?

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You being mad is a violation of the forum rules? All personal insults are as well, and you do them quite frequently. Just looking out for you.

So are you going to keep saying a fried vegetable turns into a DVD?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You being mad is a violation of the forum rules? All personal insults are as well, and you do them quite frequently. Just looking out for you.

So are you going to keep saying a fried vegetable turns into a DVD?

Incorrect. Personal insults are allowed in P&N so long as they don't get too out of hand. You're most likely on your way to a warning or a suspension the way you're going though.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Incorrect. Personal insults are allowed in P&N so long as they don't get too out of hand. You're most likely on your way to a warning or a suspension the way you're going though.

No, they are all against the rules. Ever read them? The mods do not enforce the rules against them, provided they are not too well crafted, but they are never actually allowed.

It is like driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. Many cops will not pull you over for it, but that does not magically make it allowable.

You are just mad you did not think of it first.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No, they are all against the rules. Ever read them? The mods do not enforce the rules against them, provided they are not too well crafted, but they are never actually allowed.

It is like driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. Many cops will not pull you over for it, but that does not magically make it allowable.

You are just mad you did not think of it first.

Since you're new here (or maybe just a re-reg of a previously banned poster), I can assure you that you are wrong. Go ahead and ask a mod if you have any more questions.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fried+carrots

Most Chinese dishes that I've had with carrots, they've been fried.

Thanks for that. Just never heard of fried carrots but considering that we have fried ice cream, I don't see why not. Now if you would have said "fried taters"...I would have been all over that! :awe:

For a final comment on the vegetable thing...sure, it's a vegetable but if the entire idea is to imply that eating fried or processed vegetables are every bit as good as raw vegetables, then it's a failure. If otherwise, sure thing. *shrugs*.

Now I'm going back to manufacturing a hamburger...already in progress.

As for personal attacks in P&N.....LOL if anyone doesn't think that they are "somewhat" allowed at the least, but I'm old and forgetful so I might not remember all of the details.... :hmm:

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I received this info from the Moderators' Forum where I asked what does and does not constitute an allowable attack. Here is what I was told:

Hi cybrsage.

I recommend taking some time to acquaint yourself with Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement.

GrahamsHierarchyofDisagreement.png

Notice that only in OT are you allowed to commit so-called Ad Hominem personal attacks.

As you can see, by attacking a characteristic of the writer (the background of the poster, specifically their affinity for a particular sports team) you committed an ad hominem personal attack which is not allowed in P&N.

I hope this helps.

So, any personal attack such as
Jesus christ, how stupid are you?
falls directly into the NAME CALLING category, which is not allowed in P&N.

Admit you are wrong yet?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I received this info from the Moderators' Forum where I asked what does and does not constitute an allowable attack. Here is what I was told:

So, any personal attack such as falls directly into the NAME CALLING category, which is not allowed in P&N.

Admit you are wrong yet?

This is directly in contradiction of what the P&N mods themselves have said, what mod did you talk to?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
For a final comment on the vegetable thing...sure, it's a vegetable but if the entire idea is to imply that eating fried or processed vegetables are every bit as good as raw vegetables, then it's a failure. If otherwise, sure thing. *shrugs*.

Yeah, they are certainly not good for you.

Now I'm going back to manufacturing a hamburger...already in progress.

Having eaten some of the hamburgers purchased in a box of many hamburgers from Sams Club, I can certainly say they are more closely aligned with manufacturing than the food industry...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Nope. Go ask him if P&N qualifies as the same as OT and get back to me.

It does not, that was part of the question.

I see you are incapable of ever admit you are wrong. Goes directly into what I was told about you...but thanks for the clarification.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
This is directly in contradiction of what the P&N mods themselves have said, what mod did you talk to?

I cannot divulge that part, the threads in the Moderators' Section are hidden from view. You have to ask them about it. They may or may not divulge.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I cannot divulge that part, the threads in the Moderators' Section are hidden from view. You have to ask them about it. They may or may not divulge.

You actually can! Regardless, if you are so concerned about personal attacks you should probably lay off them yourself.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, they are certainly not good for you.

Having eaten some of the hamburgers purchased in a box of many hamburgers from Sams Club, I can certainly say they are more closely aligned with manufacturing than the food industry...

You don't remember the Bush admin trying to reclassify making restaurant food (like McDonalds, etc) as manufacturing during the big manufacturing downturn of the 2000's? I'm not taking about the processing plants that make the patties by the box (that would be manufacturing in my opinion), I'm talking about at the restaurant level.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You don't remember the Bush admin trying to reclassify making restaurant food (like McDonalds, etc) as manufacturing during the big manufacturing downturn of the 2000's? I'm not taking about the processing plants that make the patties by the box (that would be manufacturing in my opinion), I'm talking about at the restaurant level.

Oh, no I do not. That is pretty dumb. Has Obama tried to do that yet? He has followed very closely in Bush's footsteps.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh, no I do not. That is pretty dumb. Has Obama tried to do that yet? He has followed very closely in Bush's footsteps.

While I agree that he has followed closely on some issues, that isn't one of them (yet). However, he has followed the previous generations of presidents in signing more and more jobs away in the name of "free trade" but that's another story (*sigh*).

By the way, again, never see the chart that was sent to you but if name calling was disallowed in P&N, most everyone here would be banned beyond a shadow of a doubt, lol.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Yeah, it is against the rules but they do not bother to enforce it. Basically, I was told the insult needs to be related to the topic at hand. Insulting someone's football team (even if the team actually does suck) is not allowed. :)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Lmao. What banned member is this dude?

Nobody cares about you. Nobody is mad and nobody think frying something makes it a 747. You aren't even witty.